What do Americans know about Europe?

by dutchstef 41 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

a) What is the capital city of Denmark?

b) what is the difference between Holland and the Netherlands

c) How old is Belgium

d) Which european countries are a kingdom and which of them are an United Kingdom?

My answer from the other thread:

DutchStef: Copenhagen; Holland is to the Netherlands as England is to Great Britain; Belgium is 179 years old, and I may be wrong on part of the last question, but I believe it's Holland and Great Britain.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

a) What is the capital city of Denmark? Copenhagen, but the little mermaid came for Burbank, California.

b) what is the difference between Holland and the Netherlands About 3 days by tank, and 3 years by the resistance.

c) How old is Belgium - nearly as old as Stonehenge, but not quite as enduring.

d) Which european countries are a kingdom and which of them are an United Kingdom? Ask the great lady of Ferrari, the princess Lillaine de Rethy.

She knew most of the kings better than I.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Okay I'll play. I've only read the original post, so let's see how bad I am.

1. Cophenhagan

1. Oh geez, isn't the Netherlands the political name of the country including all territory while Holland is the name of the home country? Something like that, right?

c) How old is Belgium

1. Don't know exactly. I don't think it's that old. Wasn't it was created as a buffer state between France and Holland because of religious wars? I seem to remember an ongoing dispute about what language to say Mass in. So I'm going to guess 300 years.

d) Which european countries are a kingdom and which of them are an United Kingdom?

1. Well I'm not sure if you're including the U.K. (Britain) in this, but I'll throw out Sweden, Monaco Denmark as kingdoms and the Netherlands and Britain as united kingdom. Does Vatican City count as a kingdom, or a papal territory?
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Not much at all.

Did you see the interviews with Sarah Palin, during last year's election season? It would not be an exaggeration to say that most of us are as ignorant as she is, regarding Europe.

The Internet and our 130 television channels are beginning to change this. My kids will know much more about Europe than my parents did.

(416,800 of us died in WWII. You'd think that our public schools would do a better job of educating us.)

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I bet most people think Kangaroos jump through Aussie streets - they don't.

That's right. The boomerangs scare them off.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

:D Keyser

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The boomerangs scare them off.

And they hardly ever come back.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

c) How old is Belgium

Okay, for the record- I think I am a pretty good well-rounded person when it comes to geography and where places are and the like. But really, I can't even tell you a whole lot about the Americas in questions like these. I know where Europe is, I think I know that Copanhagan is the captal of Denmark, and I think I can pick out each of the countries named in your A,B,C questions within a certain range. But it really doesn't matter to me or most Americans, I imagine it doesn't matter to most Europeans how old Belgium is or your D question either.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Isn't the United Kingdom England, Scotland, Wales, and North Ireland?

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

Hahaha....

Maybe americans don't know a lot about europe, but most of you got a good sence of humor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit