Did being JW help you cope with death?

by KDubbz 48 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isaac,

It seems that, from various sources, the soul and spirit are in harmony and the soul only truly dies when separated from the spirit, was there any living soul without spirit?

It would seem that, upon final judgement, if one is found "unworthy". that the spirt and soul are separated and the soul dies, the spirit going back to God, where as upon "naturla death", the soul and the spirt go back to God, though it doesn't say that about the soul in th ebible, it does mention of the soul returning.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I think we are in agreement here Psac :)

• Open mind
    Open mind

The JW view helped me POSTPONE coping with death.

OUTLAW nailed it, IMO. JWs, on the whole, don't believe they are individually going to die. They are going to live right through Armageddon as long as they don't get hit by a bus, a bullet or the Big C.

Only after they have been in for decades and realize that Armageddon keeps getting postponed does it begin to dawn on them that they might.........actually........................die. Just like every other human to ever walk the planet has.

om

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Absolutely NOT.

Considering that fact that most of my loved ones who died were not Witnesses and I was told they had no "hope", and the loved ones who WERE Witnesses died due to Watchtower dogma, I would say NO. No indeed... being a JW did NOT help me cope with death.

• darthfader
    darthfader

For me, I would have to say: Yes, being a Witness helped me cope with death.

I was able to devalue this life in favor of the "Coming Paradise". I was ignorant. I never looked into the deeper things of the scriptures. And when I mean scriptures, I mean all spiritual writings...

Darth Fader

• fokyc
    fokyc

I don't know YET, I haven't died

Getting closer though, I'll try to let you know!

f okyc

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In 2001, when I was still a JW, I moved in with my "worldly" dad who was opposed to JWs. He was 81, in poor health, and needed my help. Unfortunately he died of a massive heart attack just a few hours after I moved in. Being a JW didn't make it any easier. Actually, I took it harder than anyone else in the family, and it took its toll on me. In the next week I aged 10 years, and everyone could see it.

My mother died 3 years ago, when I was already an "apostate". Her death was much easier to cope with.

W

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Keeping to the topic

Did being JW help you cope with death?

Near the end of my JW life there were two JWs who died that I was close to.

• The first was a traffic accident so it was fast. That was difficult simply because it was so fast.
    • The second was from cancer and it was long slow and very difficult to be close to. I stayed with her as much as possible even going against the wishes of my elder husband. At the end her sister and I held her hands as she took her last breaths. It was so sad.

From both cases I learned that there was nothing to fear. You just slipped away into no more suffering. So I lost my fear of death but that had more to do with just being there rather than being a JW. In fact being a JW made it all more difficult because my husband wanted me to give up on this family. It's not like he was being neglected.

But I have to agree that many JWs don't really grieve. The immediate family does simply because the effect on the family is so direct. But other JWs in the cong. No I don't think they really grieve those losses. It is shoved in the back of their minds - they will see them "in the new system".

But then too JW friends are not friends in the real sense of the word. Friendship is conditional. And when any relationship is conditional people just don't fully commit or invest themselves to it. And if you aren't fully committed or invested in the relationship how do you grieve its loss?

• littlebird
    littlebird

I actually think it made me numb to death. I never cried at any funeral while I was a jw. I don't know why. I know I hated the services because they were just about preaching their doctrine vs. a minute or two about the life of the person.

After I left the jw's my sister in law died and I cried like a baby.

I think outlaw is right on about jws avoiding death. My husband turns 52 in October and he literally cant believe it! He says he never thought he'd get old in this system.

• undercover
    undercover
    But then too JW friends are not friends in the real sense of the word. Friendship is conditional. And when any relationship is conditional people just don't fully commit or invest themselves to it. And if you aren't fully committed or invested in the relationship how do you grieve its loss?

That's a good point.

Another thought I had:

I remember going to many a JW funeral but never really having any strong feelings about most of them because I wasn't a close friend of the deceased. It was just someone at the hall or from the area.

When your a JW, you have lots of acquaintances, but few real friends. So when someone from the hall's mother's uncle died, you went to the funeral but you really didn't know them. Funerals were an extension of the meetings...an excuse to network the religion.

That's not to say JWs didn't feel the loss or took it too lightly. I remember losing a couple of close friends when I was young. Losing someone young especially is painful. I was lost for a period. Both were tragic, sudden deaths. But because the resurrection crap was so ingrained in us, we refused to accept them as completely gone, just missing for awhile. It was emphasized that we would see them again. You hear that enough growing up and you believe it.

It wasn't until after leaving that I realize I would never see these people again and I went through another, albeit more subdued, grieving process. Still to this day, I get angry or upset when I think about them and how I foolishly thought I'd see them again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit