Did being JW help you cope with death?

by KDubbz 48 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that sometimes spirit and soul seem to be used intechangebly.

We know that the spirit goes back to God/heaven when we die, scripturally that is a given, but the issue of the sould gets some confused.

The OT states that the soul dies, Jesus makes it clear that the soul CAN die, but I don't hink that anywhere is it stated that the soul and spirt can be "apart", I think that you really can't have one without the other, can you?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

PSAC, like you said it is a given that the spirit goes back to God. Yet in Revelation we see the souls of the martyred saints under the altar calling out for justice.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isaac,

Indeed we do, thatis my point, I don't think we can separate the two, you can't have one without the other it seems.

What is the soul without the spirit to keep it alive?

What is the spirit without the soul to make it distinct?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s Believe..They are going to live Forever..

Jehovah`s Witness`s don`t Cope with Death..

Jehovah`s Witness`s Ignore Death..

........................OUTLAW

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

PSAC, Where will the spirit be of the souls that are in hell? The spirit goes back to God, but the soul is in hell? Those who are in Christ will be fully reunited- body soul and spirit- alive and with Christ. Those in hell will be dead- which scripturally means alientated from the presence of God...and will not be whole, with their spirit remaining with God...their body dead and their soul in hell.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

isaac,

Not sure about that, I mean, that almost sounds like the spirit is just an "active force" and nothing more, ;)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

PSAC, I didn't back this one up very scripturally to you and am a bit busy right now to do so...I will try to revisit shortly

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Ok, PSAC...a few examples where spirit means more than just active force...Matt 26:41,

Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. 26 The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

The spirit has will.

John 3:5

Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.

John 4:24

God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth."
    Mark 9:20 "And they brought him unto him: and when they saw him, immediately the spirit tore him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming"

From this it seems to me to be much more than an impersonal force.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

isaac,

I don't view the spirit as impersonal, hence the winky face ;)

But what is the spirit without the soul? I mean, if the spirit has our qualities, what does the soul have?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I see what you are saying PSac...

Heb 4:12 says "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

This to me says they do differ and can exist apart from each other. The soul is our personality...its our identity. It seems to me in some respects the soul and spirit are the same. But, when one dies the spirit goes back to God. When Elijah resurrect the widows son he prayed to the Lord for the boy's soul to come back to him. But the Bible also mentioned not to fear him who kills the body but can not destroy the soul. Nowhere does the Bible mention the Spirit being destroyed but going back to the God who gave it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit