Oriental guy comes to door last night and wants to talk to my oriental lady -

by JWoods 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods

This seems to be happening about once a month now. Nice looking middle aged Oriental man in white shirt & tie. Yup - positive JW ID made already.

Guy looks shocked when Texan comes to door - "we were calling on Oriental Families" (as if I had no right to be there!).

So, I ask him what he wants - he starts up with "we were talking to oriental people about how bad things in the world are today."

I said - "Look: If you are a Jehovah's Witness, then just stand up like a man and tell me you are a Jehovah's Witness." He admits it.

I told him that my lady friend was indeed Vietnamese but would not want to talk to him. Why? Well, first of all because I used to be an Elder in your religion and I had to quit because of repeated false prophecy. (looks shocked, then defends 1975 by saying that they never really said it for sure). I point out that 1975 WAS taught as part of an entire chronology (which he admits) involving generation of 1914 (also changed) and that it all really came from the Millerite movement of the Seventh Day Adventists as adapted by Russell. (shocked that I knew about it). Defends by saying that the "Adventists cannot have the truth because they teach the trinity" (almost as if everything else was OK). I mentioned that witnesses teach that Jesus is really Michael the archangel which is probably far more of a reach than saying he was the deity. (blanks out)

However, moving on, I told him, to a traditional and honorable Oriental family your absolute worst teaching is to prevent the children from getting a decent education. Education and success in life of the children are paramount to the honor of Oriental parents. Why in the world would you do such a thing?

He admits it: "Well, maybe the Watchtower Society is trying to protect these children"

Now I have him by the short hairs: Protect them from what, may I ask? Science? Math? History? The Arts? Medicine? Law? WHAT???

He cannot say. He retreats.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BOOYYAHHAH !!!

Well done, well said, Kung Hei Fat choy !!

( Yes I know that is cantonese but I don't know any vietnamese).

• snowbird
    snowbird

Did he say "Oriental" or "Asian"?

You are a mess, JWoods!

Sylvia

• wobble
    wobble

Well done Sir JWoods ( I have dubbed thee Sir or should that be ex-dubbed ?)

I just love it when one of us is able to prick and burst that arrogant bubble that they call "The Truth" . I love that bit about admit you are a Dub, when I was in I got sick of any subterfuge and said from the off that I was a dub. It only occurred to me after I left how ashamed I was to admit it apart from F.S . I felt householders deserved to know why I was there, but work mates etc. need not know.

Love

Wobble

• VIII
    VIII

He admits it: "Well, maybe the Watchtower Society is trying to protect these children"

Now I have him by the short hairs: Protect them from what, may I ask? Science? Math? History? The Arts? Medicine? Law? WHAT???

He cannot say. He retreats.

(I don't think I've ever seen an Oriental or Asian JW. Even in Chicago.-- )

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Did he say "Oriental" or "Asian"?

Oriental. He himself was actually Korean and did not really know Vietnamese - so, I guess he was going to say hi in viet from a card he had and then talk to her in english.

From my experience with Mai and her extended family, the usual term is in fact Oriental. Either that or specifically Vietnamese. Asian is not as common in my experience - but no stigma is attached to either term.

For what it is worth, most Vietnamese people are superficially very polite. (But you should hear what they might have to say after you leave!) This may be a reason why the witnesses like to call on them constantly - Mai will usually listen politely, offer tea, and then just say thank you goodbye. This, and perhaps a desire for less advantaged newer vietnamese immigrants to learn English is what is driving this weird JW Vietnamese congregation thing in the SW (at least) part of the States.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Nice, you gave him the truth, you got his head spinning and a little dose of reality.

I guess he thought he had an easy way of approaching people whose language he spoke

without any interference from westerners.

He's probably thinking to himself " shit maybe I am involved with a bogus publishing company " ?

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I was in college at the University of South Alabama, there were quite a few Asians in my class (Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese).

They are sooooo polite and reserved. Not to mention smart!!!

I enjoyed getting to know them.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    So, I ask him what he wants - he starts up with "we were talking to oriental people about how bad things in the world are today."
    I said - "Look: If you are a Jehovah's Witness, then just stand up like a man and tell me you are a Jehovah's Witness."

I had some JWs cold call my house awhile back (which is surprising. I still live in the same house from when I was active. They know me and there are even dub families on my street). Anyway... The 'sister' used a similar phrase except she used "neighbors" instead of "oriental" without identifying who she represented.

Is that the modus operandi now? To covertly witness? How can you make Jehovah's sovreign name known when you're afraid to identify yourself as one of his witnesses?

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not only that, Undercover, but why on earth would they think anybody would want to talk to a total stranger (who won't tell you who they are) about "how bad things are in the world" of all things?

Jeez - if I had not been an ex-JW, I would have told him to buzz on - I can easily get that message on CNN 24x7. It speaks volumes about the whole JW mindset: Whole world is in a mess...Whole world is coming to an end within probably 5 years...Don't get education or job security...our war-god Jehovah is just about to KILL YOU if you don't join our cult...

I guess the message (including their name) does have to be toned down a little for the un-initiated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit