Is it me or are kingdome halls butt ugly?

by bluecanary 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Where some more of the money went..besides for those adorable Kingdom Halls.....

• Chalam
    Chalam

Almost every one I've seen has no windows. That serves several practical purposes. First, windows aren't cheap, take more time and skill to install properly, and even good ones leak more heat than an insulated wall. So leaving out the windows reduces both construction cost and quick-build time, and saves on the heating and air conditioning bills.

Second, if there were windows the bored kids would be able to stare through them and wonder why they're inside on such a nice sunny day. Without windows, they have nothing better to do than listen to the speaker.

Third, vandals can't break windows that aren't there.

Yes, windowless Kingdom Halls are butt-ugly, but it's understandable why they build them that way.

What?!

The reason the "kingdom halls" have no windows is not a practical one but a spiritual one. Everything in the spiritual realm has its outworking in physical and vice versa Matthew 6:10 Hebrews 11:1-3 2 Corinthians 4:18 Romans 8:24 2 Corinthians 5:7

Kingdom halls do not have windows because they do not want light coming in there John 8:12 John 12:46 John 3:19 John 9:5 John 3:19 Revelation 21:23

All the best,

Stephen

• logic
    logic

The kingdom hall I went to had a very pleasing light pastel lavender mix and white trim with pleasing blue grey carpet.

It had a nicely done landscaping layout with very pretty trees. Then came the great remodel. Everything became brown, roof, walls, enside and out, trim and seats. Seats and carpet were brown phychedelic patterns that made it hard

to walk down the isles. The minute I walked in it started to put me to sleep. The landscaping became a monstrosity.

Almost everyone hated it.

• blondie
    blondie

It all depends now on the competence of the person assigned by the RBC to do decor.

I have been in some "butt ugly" churches as well. Bad taste knows no religious or secular boundaries.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Joshnaz: that is Korean.

The Kingdom Hall on Whidbey Island has a really nice sign, I don't think I've ever seen another KH with anything decent looking. The Shoreline (WA) hall is near my wife's school. I would call it "nondescript." It isn't ugly enough to be noticeable, doesn't have anything nice about it either.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, Stephen.

Sylvia

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Chalam has got it all right on the reasons why most KH look like a glorified warehouse and don't usually have windows.

My old hall was built in the 60's and it did have nice big windows on the sides which let in beautiful sunlight.

Then in the early 90's they expanded and renovated the KH in doing so they removed all of the windows

an added a higher pitched roof possibly to use inside as a storage attic .

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I loved Stanley Theater as well. I've got a set of the post cards in my collection. I also associate it with New York because we visited ST on our trip to Bethel.

There's a gorgeous KH in Chicago, I believe in Arlington Heights. If I even half remember the story, it was designed by some non-Dub architect who wanted a project to do something artistic with so he did it for free. It was quite lovely. Wish I had a picture.

I've only been in one church so I can't really compare.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes they are purposely built functional only

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit