Baptism Questions??

by lepermessiah 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• angel eyes
  • kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This raises an interesting question.

Suppose someone had a biblical baptism that meets the scritural standards. Then they do a JW study and want to join.

Do they have to get baptised again to become a JW?

If so, then must they renounce their scripturally approved baptism since they can not serve two masters?

If that is the case, and you renounce your baptism to Jesus, Father and Holy spirit to serve the WT spirit, where does that leave you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxmv85wJGBc

• iknowall558
  • iknowall558
    iknowall558

I started a thread on this very topic a short while ago.

• Chalam
    Chalam

The newest baptismal questions, from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Yes their "light" in indeed getting darker and darker Matthew 6:23

See how they have removed Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the bible progressively from the second question :(

Baptismal questions from the August 1, 1966 Watchtower, p. 465:

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Baptismal questions from the May 15, 1970 Watchtower, p. 309:

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Baptismal questions from the May 1, 1973 Watchtower, p. 280:

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Matthew 12:34 Luke 6:45

All the best,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To baptis anyone beyond what jesus tells us to is an afront to our lord and saviour.

Jesus told his disciples to bptise in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirt, PERIOD, nothing ot no one else !!

To add ANYTHING to the baptisimal rites is ursurping God and Jesus's word.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

thankyou thankyou thankyou kurtbethal...i loved hearing that and feel so excited just as i did on my baptism day...thankyou ((((((((huge hugs)))))

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Kurtbethel, that would leave you alienated from God and a part of Satan's organization.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Kurtbethel,

In the past the JW's accpted a Baptisim if ithad been done bu full immersion and under the Father, Son and HS.

I believe that change din the 80's if not sooner.

The JW baptisim rites make it clear that you are swearing your alligence to an organization and that , since you do it in public in front of witnesses, you are legaly bound to that orginaizations rules and regulations.

I wonder if people are aware of that, probably not.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The church of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES is a bonafide organization and, as such, people are initiated into it with baptism. The ancient church also brought in members through baptism and today, most modern Christian organizations also use baptism as a means of joining organized religions.

Catholics view baptism as a sacrament, while most modern Protestant faiths have a doctrine centered around the "priesthood of believers." Catholics generally require authority to perform the sacraments, but in emergencies, the non-ordained may baptize. In cases where there is no water, baptism can be administered with almost anything (there's even a baptism of desire that will work in dire circumstances). Thus, almost anyone can obtain salvation under the Catholic system. The Protestant view is that virtually anyone can baptize, but many ministers will take umbrage if someone wants to baptize their best friend or their children. Baptists and non-denominational sects will recognize almost any baptism done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES view baptism as an ordinance that only its ministers can perform. That said, their own ordinations are on very shakey grounds as ordained ministers don't tend to go much past Charles Taze Russell and, or course, Mr. Rutherford. Where they got the authority to baptize remains unclear and troublesome. Since God has never actually confirmed that the whole Watchtower thing is anything other than good intentions and a great deal of faith in the transferance of power and authority, new members (and old) must pretty much rely on assumed authority from On High. It requires faith in the faith of the leaders as far as I can tell.

The priesthood of believers rests on an interpretation of scriptures, not as written to the people they were written to, but that they were, in fact, written as a general letter to everyone who believes. It's better than nothing, and is certainly better than having to rely on the Catholics as they see it. Alexander Campbell believed that if you cling tenaciously to the Bible and its teachings, then anyone can baptize. Of course he was a Baptist who denounced Baptist teachings and started his own movement. His associate, Sidney Rigdon, soon became dissatisfied with this view and became a follower of Joseph Smith, who claimed to have received the authority to act in God's name from angelic ministrations. William Miller was more preoccupied with the timing of the coming of Christ, but when it didn't happen, some of his followers found themselves following Ellen G. White, who also claimed visions (though no conferral of authority). It's thought by many that her teachings found their way into some of the Congregational churches and later, into the JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES. Whether it's calling God by name or worshiping on the seventh day, these are pretty much trademark distinctions that tend to be overblown.

As an outsider, I see the Witnesses as just another manmade organization. If you've been baptized and you feel it was done correctly (whether by sprinkling or immersion), I wouldn't sweat not being baptized into the sect unless being a member of it is important to you. I would ask JW leadership, however, just how they make the jump from a manmade church to a divine investiture that, as far as I can tell, has never happened. I mean by this that if a flaming pillar of fire has appeared over the Watchtower Headquarters, or some manifestation takes place, then I wouldn't be so dang sure God was behind the leadership. In the New Testament, I just don't see any one future church mentioned by name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit