reasons for the new song book, according to a dub

by highdose 43 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

just asked a loyal dub i know why has the org now given out a song book, with so many songs taken out? She looked at her convention notes and replied that the soceity said that some of the songs in the old song book were too difficult for new people to learn to sing.

And this was said with all seriousness... she totaly brought it!

• sir82
    sir82

Right, like suddenly the JWs will sound like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir now.

Yeah, the new songbook has nothing to do with a book publishing company producing a new book and anticipating "sales" of 7 million+, with the accompanying "voluntary contributions".

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

I was told it was because some of them were too old and new ones were needed???

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

At our district convention, it was specifically said it was partly due to the fact that some of the old songs were difficult to sing, and also because some of the old songs reflected old light.

• zoiks
    zoiks

I vaguely remember that part at the convention. One thing that sticks in my mind was when the speaker diplomatically stated that some of the songs were difficult for untrained singers, a large chuckle went through the crowd. Indeed, more than a few of the kingdom melodies just sound subpar when sung by a room full of shrill off-key "unlettered and ordinary" singers…

Of course, they are also chock full of “old light” and not-quite "present truth".

Zoiks

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

At our district convention, it was specifically said it was partly due to the fact that some of the old songs were difficult to sing, and also because some of the old songs reflected old light.

So they now have a musical form of "new light" and have to come out with a new song book to fix it.... Priceless!

Coffee

• undercover
    undercover
    ...it was specifically said it was partly due to the fact that some of the old songs were difficult to sing, and also because some of the old songs reflected old light.

They actually said the the songs were "old light" or not current in doctrine?

What other religion has to dump their hymn book every couple of decades because they keep changing doctrine so much that their song lyrics are in conflict with what they believe?

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I heard it was because of the many court cases involving the "bees that were molested"

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

with great knowledge i can tell you that it happened for two reasons. some songs were not in accord with current teaching. also, there were many songs that were not used, not for their difficulty of singing, just not used so they were to scale down and also add back a few new that would be used.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i do like lepermessiah's take on it though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit