how are the JW's viewed from the outside?

by tigeress 31 Replies latest jw friends

• tigeress
    tigeress

i know while in the org we get told alot to tell everyone that we are JW's, cos its reputation is so good. But that dosn't explain why people still refuse to answer the doors to them, or hide when they come aknocking.

So how are JW's really viewed by the outside world?

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

I saw a top ten strangest religious practices list today on listverse. Number ONE was JW refusal of blood. I think outsiders view them as strange. Also I think kind of like they view tha Amish... Like they are in their own little world.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

I know many people view us for our honesty and we are pretty much respected. I never find any who have issue with the blood but usually other minor things like not celebrating xmas.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

honesty, LOL, Dubs are some of the biggest thieves and liars on the planet LOL

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

They are probably viewed as harmless, yet peculiar....no one knows much about them really- which is by design and typical of cults. Very interesting for that to be the case of a group that boats that they preach in 212 lands.

• Spook
    Spook

I'd say the vast majority have no strong opinion about Jehovah's Witnesses.

Maybe 10% view them as being very unusual, odd and excentric.

At least 5% view them as being possibly unhealth or dangerous.

1-3%, my guess, have a strongly positive opinion of them.

• moshe
    moshe

They are mostly losers who are social parasites. Yes, they like all the comforts of modern society, but when it comes to doing their part to make the community better they are n-oowhere to be found. Need volunteers at school, like the PTO? Well, you won't find any JW's. Blood drive? nope- no JW's. Community cleanup day?- nope, they are too busy knocking on doors. Volunteer groups like the Kiwanis? Nope, but JW's will happily accept charity from them and even the Salvation Army in times of need. Shoot, elders will direct them to those organizations in order to avoid helping the needy JW's in their KH. Looking for a JW or WT sponsored food pantry or thrift shop? You won't find just one, anyplace. People are not dumb. They know that charity is part of the mission for any Church who claims to follow Jesus. So it boils down to this- JW's just don't get no respect, as Rodney Dangerfield might say.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

It was only once i left that it become obvious to me just how WEIRD they all are.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My coworkers don't know I used to be a JW, so I found it interesting when it came up in a discussion. They had some misconceptions, such as a mandatory 10% tithe. Without exception they all considered it to be a restrictive, controlling cult that worked hard to keep its membership ignorant and uneducated.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The people I have seen in the world view the witlesses as being dead wrong about the Bible, pests, and as good for nothing cockroaches. I wonder how much worse it is going to be once a few major embarrassments make it into the mainstream newspapers and are clearly identified as witlesses committing whopper crimes (and I don't mean things like speeding or DWI, either--I mean pedophiles, murderers, and kidnappers).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit