Raymond Franz seems like a nice fellow, but if those leaders had a sincere era, I haven't found it.
You can be sincere and still be wrong. Sorry if my point wasn't clear about that.
Don't forget that a lot of money has gone into building WT Farms (in the past) and now Patterson.
They are busy renovating properties in Brooklyn only to turn around and sell them for the big $$$. I doubt they are doing this because they are cash strapped due to the many court cases they are settling. I think they are trying to hide the money.
There are many organizations, including religions, that contribute a lot of money to charities. More and more the wealthy are disclosing what charitable works they are involved in. Some may say these are publicity stunts but heck they are doing something good. And speaking about it encourages others to do their bit.
The only organization the WTS contributes to is itself. It doesn't offer aid to their own. It leaves elders to swing if they are taken to court for a WTS-sanctioned decision.
They double-dip for literature and Halls.
- JWs are told to "contribute" for the literature when they pick it up AND contribute the money received from people.
- As soon as one hall is paid off they are encouraged to renovate or rebuild which only increases money to WTS coffers. JWs contribute for the world-wide building work. They they have to borrow the money from the WTS and then repay it and if the cong is dissolved the ownership of the hall goes back to the WTS although in some places the hall continues under the ownership of the WTS even though cong members paid for it.
They insist all contributions be for the more generic "world-wide publishing work" rather than to help JWs in disaster areas. There was talk about them receiving funding from the govt to help flood victims only to turn around and ask for insurance money back when the JWs received their claims. (What kind of charity does this?)
They offer no real social support to their own members who suffer from following all the WTS' rules and "principles".
- Your house burns down? Too bad.
- You get sick and can't pay your rent. To bad.
- Or lose your job and can't feed the family? Too bad
- You spend so much time in service that you got sick in the first place. Tough.
- You worked in Bethel for 30 years and get sick? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
So where does the money go? Like all true tyrants - it goes into their own coffers.
The game is not to teach people about God and Christ. The goal is the amassing of fortunes here on earth and protecting what has been taken from the "have-nots".