New Age Requirement for MTS

by garlic81 15 Replies latest jw friends

• garlic81
    garlic81

At our 2 day circuit assembly this weekend they made an announcement for those interested in attending the Ministerial Training School to meet with the DO & CO at 9:20 behind the stage this morning. They said that there is a new revised age requirement, and it is 62 or older. He again clarified 62 or older, single, and a ministerial servant or an elder.

Do you think they feel they've put enough young brothers through the school and now they want old retired individuals who they can send anywhere? Most retired people will have social security or a pension coming in, so they won't have to worry about the person leaving their assignment soon because they can't make ends meet. And they are probably less likely to marry soon after they graduate from the school and have their attention divided by their new wife.

Also they stated if you are under 16 years of age, male, and even if you are not baptized you can attend this meeting; to learn more about the MTS and other spiritual goals.

Anyone else heard of this age change recently?

• cantleave
    cantleave

What country are you in garlic81?

• garlic81
    garlic81

United States / in the Southern Nevada, all of Arizona, and Southern Utah District

• cantleave
    cantleave

Interesting, Your assumption maybe right. We have our CA in a couple of weeks, it will be interesting to see if the same age restriction is given here in the UK.

• metatron
    metatron

This sounds like desperation to me - not much different from empty Catholic seminaries recruiting retired men to be celibate priests. In addition, it may be about MONEY! What's the magic about age 62? You qualify for early retirement under Social Security! The Greedy Watchtower won't have to worry about paying any pension or current support ( or very little).

As always in Watchtowerland, follow the money.

metatron

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This doesn't sound right to me.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea in fact I heard opposite.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Are you sure it wasn't 62 years or younger? I find it almost impossible to believe that the WTS would decide to only allow retirees to go to MTS. MTS has always been a program for young, single, brothers.

More than likely the announcement was that the age limit for MTS had expanded to include men up to age 62. (or perhaps the guy making the announcement messed up and said "over age 62" when he meant to say "under age 62") I'm not sure if there was an official age cut-off, but I've heard of unofficial age cut-offs of 50 years old in the context of entering the circuit work.

This would make sense. In the U.S and other "developed" countries, life expectancy continues to grow. Today, there are plenty of folks in their sixties who are active and healthy. The WTS is probably recognizing that fact, and is now going to allow single elders/MS in their 50s and early 60s to go to MTS.

Some of these single elders/MS in their 50s could be recently downsized Bethelites.

• garlic81
    garlic81

Unless the chairman read the age backwards and it should be 26? But it was weird he announced it twice.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It's possible you got a senile chairman. Thats usually an honorary job or a starter job anyway for CA's....

Regardless, I feel comfortable in strongly suggesting that he got this information wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit