by besty 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

It could have done with a couple of sex scenes and a car chase

Pub

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Paul..

I have been dragging my feet on this for sometime. Though I have posted bits and pieces of my story here over the last two years, you have inspired me to finally write, in its entiretly, my experience leaving the cult. I have corresponded with Randy regarding my story and hope to post it here and at FreeMinds soon. (It was a link from FM to JWD that started me on my way out of the cult.)

To no one's surprise, my story will not be not short. I am writing Part 7 now... looks to be anywhere from 8 to 10 parts. I am finishing the hardest part now...the last two years....the exiting part. With moving my fiancee and her son into my (now our) house wrapping up this weekend, I hope to be able to get this done soon.

You have set the bar high on writing, I have enjoyed reading yours immensely.

From the midwest of the US....

Snakes (Rich )

• cawshun
    cawshun

I really enjoyed reading your story. I am happy you found a new way of life with lots of friendships. I do hope one day your mother will come around and realize her sacrifice. I can't imagine ever giving up my children for a religion.

Have a great life!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thank you, Paul, for sharing your poignant story, Where Did It All Go Wrong?, a tale of growing to adulthood with values, perceptions, and beliefs instilled in you by your JW parents, which they embraced when they were young and lonely, new to town, insecure, idealistic, and having trouble finding direction or friends. (As we all know, these are just some of the times when people are at risk of joining groups that manipulate the mind to accept a group’s view of denunciation of all other systems and that it alone is the only viable system for change that will solve life’s problems.)

Young children easily take on parents’ values as their own, but due to developmental changes as they age and other circumstances, the stresses that befall them are much like what happened in your life when you desired a different way of life than that chosen by your parents for themselves and that which they chose for you. What a dilemma for young people when their nature, personality, makeup, and temperament do not go in the same direction as their JW parents, but who want to continue tohave family connections, but not their JW family’s outlook.

The time it took to reflect on your past and write a well-written, cohesive, and meaningful story to share with others, including the ones whose world view from birth have also been clouded by JWs’ system of belief, had to be incalculable. However, we are grateful to you for your memoir, Where Did It All Go Wrong? The answer to that question is obvious from your story.

Hopefully, many JW parents who read your story will realize the conflict they will put their children and themselves through if they remain Witnesses and their children do not want to accept JWs beliefs as truth. As related in your story, in such circumstances, the ramifications are heart-breaking to both sides

Paul, you said, “I encourage all ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses to write their story, not anonymously if possible. Individually we can remove the power of the Watchtower Society from our own lives - together we may just achieve a lot more.” I totally agree with you.

I would be happy to include on my website, www.watchtowerdocuments.com life stories such as Paul’s which can be found permanently at, http://www.freeminds.org/life-stories/rank-file/where-did-it-all-go-wrong.html and soon to be linked from my website too. If anyone wants their story on a website permanently, write me at webmaster (found on my site) or write to [email protected]

Paul’s story and thousands of similar experiences are to be found on Internet discussion boards all over the world. These stories prove the assertion that associating with Jehovah’s Witnesses is dangerous because by becoming a Witness, in most cases, this will cause people to give up their freedom of speech, freedom of choice, family and friends, the community they belong to, and, perhaps, even their life. See http://www.freeminds.org/sociology/other/why-it-is-dangerous-to-associate-with-jehovahs-witnesses.html

Barbara

• karter
    karter

Paul,

I had the pleasure of meeting you and your lovely family sadly only for a short time last December...I have enjoyed your story thus far.

Karter.

• besty
    besty

thanks for all the kind comments - it really is much appreciated

one of the main reasons I had for writing my story was to get it into the public domain - the WTS wants disfellowshipped people to crawl under a rock and not come out - they publicly humiliate and demonize us at every opportunity and I'm fed up of it - its time for as many as possible who can write their story to do so

over at freeminds we are pretty cheap and will publish almost anything - particularly life stories - you have no idea how many people read these and are motivated and encouraged to do something because other people in similar circumstances to them are doing something

please drop [email protected] an email if you want your story on freeminds

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Paul,

The bit about your mother is something I understand. My situation is similar.

-LWT

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

very true Besty , they more the public read and hear of the evil way the WTS destroys lives and families the better, I remember Randall published my testimony of my leaving and lies of the J/C in a printed periodical of Free Minds well before the interweb age, wished I'd had kept the issue.

• dozy
    dozy

Good stuff , Paul - thoroughly enjoyed the story. Told without malice , though not without feeling. I think as Barbara says that it particularly reflects the challenges & issues affecting JWs who have been "brought up" (how accurate & ironic that term is) as witnesses.

Eagerly awaiting Part VIII in a couple of years time - "How I Ran for Governor & beat Arnie."

• thomas15
    thomas15

Great story besty. Your writing is both simple and complex at the same time!

My company has it's HQ in Gardena so I know your area somewhat. It's a fun place to be when it's snowing in Pennsylvania. I could relocate there anytime I want but it is soo expensive there, but you don't need me to tell you this.

I'm sorry that the WT has taken your family from you. The good book doesn't teach this method of behavior. It's good though that you have Mrs. besty and the boys. Health to you my friend.

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit