Castration anybody...?

by Rabbit 31 Replies latest social current

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Personally, I would have no problem with this law. If they want to 'rejoin' society, this should be a condition of their release. I do not understand why human rights groups would be more concerned about these dangerous criminals...more...than children.

What do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090925/od_nm/us_castration_1

Yahoo! News

Poland okays forcible castration for pedophiles

Fri Sep 25, 12:45 pm ET

WARSAW (Reuters) – Poland on Friday approved a law making chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles in some cases, sparking criticism from human rights groups .

Under the law, sponsored by Poland's center-right government, pedophiles convicted of raping children under the age of 15 years or a close relative would have to undergo chemical therapy on their release from prison.

"The purpose of this action is to improve the mental health of the convict, to lower his libido and thereby to reduce the risk of another crime being committed by the same person," the government said in a statement.

Prime Minister Donald Tusk said late last year he wanted obligatory castration for pedophiles, whom he branded 'degenerates'. Tusk said he did not believe "one can use the term 'human' for such individuals, such creatures."

"Therefore I don't think protection of human rights should refer to these kind of events," Tusk also said.

His remarks drew criticism from human rights groups but he never retracted them.

"Introducing any mandatory treatment raises doubts as such a requirement is never reasonable and life can always produce cases that lawmakers could never have even dreamt of," said Piotr Kladoczny from the Helsinki Foundation of Human Rights.

"If somebody is of sound mind, we punish him. If he is sick, we try to cure him -- that's how it works in Polish law. This bill introduces both approaches. As far as I know, this makes our law the strictest in Europe on this issue," Kladoczny said.

The bill, which also increases prison sentences for rape and incest, must still be approved by the upper chamber of parliament. This is seen as a formality as Tusk's Civic Platform party holds a majority of its 100 seats.

(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Louise Ireland)

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

• avishai
    avishai

It only lowers re-offense to a degree. Rape is about power and control far more than "libido". So permanent incarceration is the only way to keep people safe.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't think the chemical castration is a perfect solution, but it is part of it-and a good step. Permanent incarceration brings with it a lot of other issues that society doesn't want to deal with. It is interesting the value we place on things. Madoff will be in prison the rest of his life. He took money.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Avi,

I have heard that about rapists, when applied to older victims, not children. I'll admit I don't know a lot about the subject. Do you have any links to studies that may have been done?

I wonder how the rapists would do with just a 'stump'? At least it would be more difficult to pass along disease or pregnancy.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm all for castrating pedophiles--right behind the ears.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I have to agree with Doe on this one.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I have to agree with Doe

Got tired of being wrong all the time I see.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

How 'bout instead of chemical or actual castration the hands are cut off. Is that too cruel?

• John Doe
    John Doe

That would qualify as cruel and unusual methinks. Not to mention, then the government would have to pick up the tab for disability payments.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mrs. Jones, then we would just end up having to support them. They're better off dead. (My inner Republican comes out when it comes to crimes against children)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit