Have you ever heard of a situation where a speaker had to leave the platform/stage?

by StoneWall 15 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

And if so how was it handled?

Was it because of illness?

Or extreme case of nature calling?(diarrhea etc.)

• TD
    TD

On July 2, 1999, Lloyd Barry, one of the GB members collasped and died of a heart attack while speaking in Hawaii.

--Not sure how it was handled, but it almost certainly was awkward.

• Farkel
    Farkel

TD,

:On July 2, 1999, Lloyd Barry, one of the GB members collasped and died of a heart attack while while speaking in Hawaii.

:--Not sure how it was handled, but it almost certainly was awkward.

The title of his talk when that happened was "Fighters Against Jehovah Will Not Prevail"

How ironic.

Farkel

• south african beef
    south african beef

Once I was Watchtower reader and I had a bit of a panic attack and had to excuse myself and leave the platform. It actually was handled very discreetly and well. I felt a bit guilty as I was in the proceed of doing things for which I would eventually be d'fed and the attention and help I got was a bit embarrassing.

• choosing life
    choosing life

One speaker had a stroke and had to leave the platform. He wanted to continue and had to be persuaded to get help. He was just sitting there and trying to talk, but not so well. It took about two hours to convince him to go to the hospital.

Some people thought he was "brave and faithful", but I just thought he was stubborn.

• besty
    besty

MS giving his first full Public Talk. Was doing very well until half way through he started to hesitate - he had left the 2nd half of his notes at home! He started to give his wife directions as to where on the coffee table he had left them - the PO got up and said we would do the WTS and he could finish the 2nd half of his talk after that.

Kinda cringy but I was glad he finished his talk after the WTS.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Lyman Swingle (now deceased) of the GB collapsed in the middle of his talk at the Special Day Assembly in Rosenberg, Texas in mid 1990's. He had a minor stroke and he stayed at the hospital for few days, then he went back to Brooklyn Bethel.

about 4 brothers took him off the platform.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Yes, a brother collapsed because his defibrillator went off. Another case I remember was a little boy who started to cry and had to get down every-time he got up to do a bible reading. This went on for about a year, parents really wanted him to give that talk so the school servant tried him every month or so. Turns out he finally told a school counselor ( because he was having other problems like bed wetting) that he was being raped by a man in the congregation. Now shake it off and get up and give that talk son.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Yes, a brother collapsed because his defibrillator went off. Another case I remember was a little boy who started to cry and had to get down every-time he got up to do a bible reading. This went on for about a year, parents really wanted him to give that talk so the school servant tried him every month or so. Turns out he finally told a school counselor ( because he was having other problems like bed wetting) that he was being raped by a man in the congregation. Now shake it off and get up and give that talk son.

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Oh yeah babe, this one stands out I remember this one old boy giving a talk at a circuit assembly, he was talking about how wonderfully we are made, and how the anatomy of the human body of a man and women with their the sex organs he said and I Quote: “how the man’s penis fits just right in a women’s vagina, and how god made it feel so good”. This old boy kept rambling on how wonderful it was to the point of becoming teary eyed, at that some brothers helped him off the stage, and he did not want to go quietly, he could not understand what he had said or done wrong. A number of sisters stood up in the crowd and yelled not in front of my kids, and promptly left. Of course the Watchtower study can talk about anything in front of kids and its ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit