On spanking your children...

by HintOfLime 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• White Dove
    White Dove

My mom discovered that she could get me to stop crying at age 6 months if she dropped my diaper and spanked my bare bottom. I was a very sad and fearful child unable to defend myself at all against anyone. I was so incredibly sensitive to criticism that my dad finally said when I was an adult that I never needed spankings at all.

By the way, 2 year olds are too young to be hit by anything. I am so fiercely against spanking just like Cognac for the exact same reasons.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There is never a valid reason to spank a baby. I've seen people do it and that's something that really pisses me off.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I hear that it's good exercise for the parents, especially when the kids get a bit older, and you gotta chace them all over the place. 'Course, at some point, when the parents get old and feeble, it sometimes gets reversed. Maybe, take a pass on this...

S

• John Doe
    John Doe

Blue Grass, you're a moron.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This happens when excessive force is used in disciplining children. And this is all too common in the Kingdumb Hells--spankings and beatings for not sitting still for 2 hours straight, threats of more beatings when they get home, and having to stay out in field circus all vacation from school (which I have myself seen).

• wizardca
    wizardca

Blue Grass, you would assault Joshnaz...kicking his ass, huh? That makes you an abuser just like the person you claim he is. BTW, you would be the one going to jail for assaulting him. Think before you speak.

There is a difference between abuse/excessive force and discipline.

• cognac
    cognac
    This happens when excessive force is used in disciplining children. And this is all too common in the Kingdumb Hells--spankings and beatings for not sitting still for 2 hours straight, threats of more beatings when they get home, and having to stay out in field circus all vacation from school (which I have myself seen).

I must say... I have not noticed this in halls unless the parents are foreign. Growing up, there were a lot of beatings. Now, I think our culture has changed so I notice a lot more kids playing and moms chatting in the back. The only people I've noticed spanking is moms and dads who are from other countries. When that happens, all hell breaks loose and we have about 10 sisters flipping out at the parents who are spanking and telling the elders. This is what I've noticed in the few halls I've been to over the past 8 or so years.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:New research is suggesting that spanking children may result in lowered IQ's.

That's ok. The WT leaders like followers with lowered IQs. Perhaps that's one reason why their literature has always encouraged parents to physically discipline their children as I prove here:

BEAT That Child!

Farkel

• Twitch
    Twitch

I don't remember much from the meetings but I do reall the fear of being taken downstairs and getting smacked. Then the humiliation of being brought back into the room with the knowledge that people knew what had happened and the feeling of being "bad".

For just being a kid.

• greydaysahead
    greydaysahead

This is definitely one of those issues that's NOT black and white. It depends on the child, the age, the circumstances, the parents ability to refrain from spanking out of anger... so many things are part of the equation. I do not believe spanking (a swat that does not leave a mark) is child abuse. But I also believe that spanking should be a last resort and not the first thing a parent does when their child acts out.

I just don't think any parent should be criticized for how they choose to discipline their own child that they know and love better than anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit