Phobia's.......

by angel eyes 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes I do have a few. I can watch any bloody gory horror movie and have no reaction (other than boredom), but if I see this one inocuous thing in particular (I ain't gonna tell you guys for obvious reasons), I freak out like crazy. And I'm perfectly fine seeing it in real life; my phobia only pertains to still photos and video images. A few other things make me feel the same way (again only in still photos), but this one particular thing happens to come on TV once in a while.

These phobias originated when as a child I would look through a book or magazine and have a startle reaction occur at the same time as seeing the photo, whether because the image itself was unexpected (such as when I turned to the next page and didn't expect to see something so different) or "scary" or because something else startled me while looking at it. I had sensory sensitivities of various kinds (certain sounds freaked me out as well) and unfamiliar images in books often needed to be processed rather slowly, such as slowly revealing the image little by little by turning the page slowly. Being confronted with it all at once sometimes startled me, and then that startle reaction became transferred to any encounter with similar images.

What is funny is that I could see any of these things in real life and have no problem at all seeing them. And I am such a constant shutterbag, so I have at times taken pictures of these things. But then I shudder when I look at these photos. Once I put some into my photo album, and then I began avoiding those pages that had the photos, and eventually I had to remove them from the album all together. LOL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Leolaia, do you mean one of these?

One got into my house a few weeks ago. I have no idea how. I was sitting at my computer and he flew right past my head.

It took some doing, but I cornered him and caught him with a towel and put him outside. I marvelled at how tiny the body was compared to the wings.

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL no bats are fine :) That must've been weird though ... are there a lot of bats where you live?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yes, it was weird all right. I've lived in this area for a year and a half and that was my first time seeing one around here. I just stood and stared for a few minutes. I wish I thought of using my camera which was only about an arms length away from me.

W

• trebor
    trebor

I have a fear of my parents and siblings as well as other relatives and (former) friends remaining as Jehovah's Witnesses. I fear them remaining trapped in the indoctrinated teaching that they are being loyal to God by being loyal to the Watchtower Society. I have a fear of them remaining in the cult mind-set that a few men in Brooklyn can dictate doctrine and change doctrine - making old light new, new light old and back again and they still believing that the organization is backed by God.

I fear the worst for some of my family and friends - Thanks to the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses ran by the Watchtower Society.

-Trebor

• JWoods
    JWoods

I fear the hybrid car & the front wheel drive.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

There are only two things that scare me – Nuclear War and Carnies. Circus Folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Snakes just terrify me. Even when people say "that kind won't hurt you" or "they kill mice". It's totally irrational, I'd rather have the mice!

• parakeet
    parakeet

I have an extreme and completely rational fear of mind-control cults.

• caliber
    caliber

phobia

I have an extreme and completely rational fear of mind-control cults...parakeet

Am interesting admission ..... but now tell us what your phobia is . .... tee he he ....LOL

My phobia is elevators... it didn't used to be but after being stuck in three of them I faith lost faith in their operation & have no desire

to spend a weekend in a dark enclosed place ; because small cities have no local elevators repair people.. they must come from out of town

and that won't happen on a weekend... they would say see you Monday morning buddy ! .... But still involves irrational fear to a great

degree I would say .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit