The WT is turning out stupid children.

by is there help out there 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lalaa
    lalaa

I agree with out at last!

The biggest problem with dubs having stupid children is they are home schooled by their stupid parents.

I had a friend in the hall growing up who was homeschooled. She never graduated but still had a graduation party. Never got her GED or went to college....Now she's 30 yrs old and doesn't make much $$$. Complains about her job and how she needs more money. She blames the economy as the reason that she can't get a good paying job when the real reason is her lack of education.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember a fellow teenager who quit school early because 1975 was near. Well, 1975 went by and no end. She got married and found that she could not earn enough money to help support her children and husband. She went back and got her GED and got a better job. I think what is stopping this 30 year old is that she is not motivated enough. Does she live at home with her parents? It is amazing when you are the one that has to pay for your rent, food, etc.

I always illustrated to jw parents that spanked, how would they feel if their boss/supervisor spanked them when they screwed up? Of course, they said that would be wrong....but it is right for an adult to spank a small child.................

• dissed
    dissed

To spank or not to spank?

It seems most here are upset with the abusive parents we cringed to see hit their kids at the hall. And mostly with GB blessing.

Not saying I was great at discipline, but rarely did we find it necessary to embarrass our daughter at the hall by spanking her.

My poor wife had that responsibility, and most of the time it only took a visit to bathroom to reason with her. How do you spank a kid for being fidgety at a late night, two hour meeting? Even I found them boring.

If you have ever trained animals and been successful, you don't need to hit them, just the opposite. You will ruin a horse if you do.

Kids deserve even more respect and better treatment than that.

• trueblue
    trueblue

If you have ever trained animals and been successful, you don't need to hit them, just the opposite. You will ruin a horse if you do.

Kids deserve even more respect and better treatment than that.

Really then it would make better sense to give the kid a treat for a trick or offer them a treat to behave at the KH, and if they don't mind don't give it to them. Or something.

Any thing would be better then beating them. Beating only makes the kid mad...

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I would have thought believing that it's not important to get an education would turn out more stupid kids than spanking would.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

When the children in the KH do not sit still they are taken in the back and spanked and acording to this report it lowers there IQ.

Were you spanked much?

(just teasing)

• PDeverit
    PDeverit

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit www.nospank.net.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
    Center For Effective Discipline,
    PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
    Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
    United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    When the children in the KH do not sit still they are taken in the back and spanked and acording to this report it lowers there IQ

No kidding.

Judge Dread

• tlawrence101
    tlawrence101

Now any body who is a firm believer of Proverbs will tell you that disciplining a child show how much you love that person. It wil also aid in growing the person into a balanced thinking adult when it comes to making decisions that will effect his or her future. The thing about it is that when ever a person gets emotionally disturbed to the point of spanking their own children, usually it is done without a thourough explanation of why the disciplin is happening. When I say thorough I mean, for instance, misbehaving in a congregational meeting. Instead of just spanking, one should sit down and discuss the benefits of listening to the great teacher. And also discuss what could happen if we don't listen to the teacher. All children know that they are loved dearly when they are disciplined. Keep in mind to train mentally you have to reach through understanding words.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I was spanked as a child though my parents were not witnesses (in fact they didn't go to church). I believe it was because of the times though as I would also receive spankings in schools by my teachers back then (late 1970s and early 1980s). I think I did okay but who knows, I may be a genius (or in jail) if my parents did not spank me.

My wife and I believe that other methods of discipline are preferable and spanking is generally done as a last resort. Being that she is a Jehovah's Witnessand a School Teacher there is certainly conflict in her. She does not want to spank her child but realizes that the other witness kids her age are much more well behaved and yes they do get spanked. I just keep saying, "So the other parents take their kids to the Spanking Room?" (But I do not make a reference to the book I read with the same name.)

People tell us how our child is smart for her age (age 3) and speaks very well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit