The WT is turning out stupid children.

by is there help out there 19 Replies latest jw friends

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

When the children in the KH do not sit still they are taken in the back and spanked and acording to this report it lowers there IQ.

Jeanna Bryner
    Senior Writer
    LiveScience.com jeanna Bryner
    senior Writer
    livescience.com – 2 hrs 46 mins ago

Spanking can get kids to behave in a hurry, but new research suggests it can do more harm than good to their noggins. The study, involving hundreds of U.S. children, showed the more a child was spanked the lower his or her IQ compared with others.

"All parents want smart children," said study researcher Murray Straus of the University of New Hampshire. "This research shows that avoiding spanking and correcting misbehavior in other ways can help that happen."

One might ask, however, whether children who are spanked tend to come from backgrounds in which education opportunities are less or inherited intelligence lower.

But while the results only show an association between spanking and intelligence, Straus says his methodology and the fact that he took into account other factors that could be at play (such as parents' socioeconomic status) make a good case for a causal link.

"You can't say it proves it, but I think it rules out so many other alternatives; I am convinced that spanking does cause a slowdown in a child's development of mental abilities," Straus told LiveScience.

Intelligence quotients

Straus and his colleague Mallie Paschall of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation in Maryland studied nationally representative samples of two age groups: 806 children ages 2 to 4, and 704 ages 5 to 9. The researchers tested the kids' IQs initially and then four years later.

Both groups of kids got smarter after four years. But the 2- to 4-year-olds who were spanked scored 5 points lower on the IQ test than those not spanked. For children ages 5 to 9, the spanked ones scored on average 2.8 points lower than their unspanked counterparts.

The results, he said, were statistically significant. And they held even after accounting for parental education, income, cognitive stimulation by parents and other factors that could affect children's mental abilities.

Straus will present the study results, along with research on the relationship between average national IQ and prevalence of spanking around the world, Friday at the 14th International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma, in San Diego, Calif.

Spanking science

Whether or not spanking equates with dumber kids is not known, and may never be known. That's because the only way to truly show cause and effect would be to follow over time two groups of kids, one randomly assigned to get spanked and another who would not get spanked. Barring that method, which is unfeasible, Straus considers his study the next best thing, as he looked back at a nationally representative set of kids who were followed over time.

Jennifer Lansford of Duke University's Center for Child and Family Policy and Social Science Research Institute called the study "interesting," and agrees the method is a strong one. Lansford, who was not involved with the study, said following kids over time as this study did rules out the possibility that children with lower IQs somehow elicit more physical discipline.

However, unlike research showing the link between spanking and a kid's aggressive behavior, in which kids model parents' actions, this link is less clear to her. She added that a question still left unanswered is "what are some of the other mechanisms that could be responsible for this link between physical discipline and lower IQ?"

How spanking harms

If spanking does send IQ scores down, Straus and others offer some explanations for what might be going on.

"Contrary to what everyone believes, being hit by parents is a traumatic experience," Straus said. "We know from lots of research that traumatic stresses affect the brain adversely." Also, the trauma could cause kids to have more stressful responses in difficult situations, and so may not perform as well cognitively.

By using hitting rather than words or other means of discipline, parents could be depriving kids of learning opportunities. "With spanking, a parent is delivering a punishment to get the child's attention and to get them to behave in a certain way," said Elizabeth Gershoff who studies childhood development at the University of Texas, Austin. "It's not fostering children's independent thinking."

So when a child gets in a bind, he or she might do the right thing to keep from a spanking rather than figuring out the best decision independently, added Gershoff, who was not involved in Straus's current study.

And then there are genes, as some kids are just born smarter than others.

Even though spanking has been shown to cause negative consequences, Gershoff said many parents still fall back on the behavior-shaping tool. As for why, she says it's a quick fix, though its seeming success is short-lived and the negative consequences often outweigh the positives. Parents also might have been spanked themselves and so continue the tradition.

• Farkel
    Farkel

"My momma always said, 'stupid is as stupid does.'"

Farkel Gump

• White Dove
    White Dove

My mom's excuse, besides the Bible, was that the animals spank their children. I saw how a chimpanze father "disciplined" his child. He threw the baby against the wall of the cage. That did it for me. I was determined not to spank my kids. I did so under daily pressure from my parents, though. They were at my house every day!

• cheerios
    cheerios

the WTS is most definitely turning out stupid children ... but it's not because of spanking. it's because they force them to live in ignorance.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What happens when spankings (and beatings--I have heard those going on at the Kingdumb Hell, too) coerce a child to stop fully integrated thinking and conform to the Establishment--they are prevented from developing their brain power. Any coercion will have this effect--notice why it is virtually a crime to put anything on the "free" market that would disrupt the Establishment. It dumbs down the public so the leaders can control them more.

Threats for such spankings and beatings once they get home also have the same effect. And, most of those spankings and beatings (and threats thereof) come from attempts to learn while at the Kingdumb Hell or out in field circus. Unless they are learning what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger puts out, they are not supposed to learn anything about nature. Play and experience have to take a back seat to the Asleep! magazine (which is notoriously inaccurate and totally lacks references for cross-checking).

Additionally, those children are kept up past their bedtime for boasting sessions. This is a school night, for many the most popular night before major unit tests. They are supposed to go out in field circus immediately after school, depriving them of study time (as well as play time, which is when most children do most of their real learning). School is made more traumatic by no flag salute, no participation in class assemblies, no parties, no class trips (especially the ones that might keep the children out of field circus), no playing with other children who are not also witlesses, no dating, no sports or other activities after school, no nothing. They miss out on all the fun (a dull environment is also conducive of producing dull children that become dull adults), plus they are picked on (sometimes by the teachers as well as other children).

And no college after.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

The biggest problem with dubs having stupid children is they are home schooled by their stupid parents. It is far too dangerous to send their kids out into that big, bad world. We had a saying: "Idiots breeding idiots."

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

The biggest problem with dubs having stupid children is they are home schooled by their stupid parents. It is far too dangerous to send their kids out into that big, bad world. We had a saying: "Idiots breeding idiots."

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I believe thats true and for many reasons, one being that since they're are being programed to think that system of things is going to end soon

many young JWS get complacently lazy with their school work, the notion is well if its all going to end soon why bother spending time

learning as much as the rest of the world learns. This varies from child to child of course but it does parade itself in their subconsciousness.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    By using hitting rather than words or other means of discipline, parents could be depriving kids of learning opportunities. "With spanking, a parent is delivering a punishment to get the child's attention and to get them to behave in a certain way," said Elizabeth Gershoff who studies childhood development at the University of Texas, Austin. "It's not fostering children's independent thinking."

This. Right here. It ain't unique to the Dubs. I do NOT understand why so many parents seem only to care about obedience. At some point, you are not going to be there when you're child has to make a choice. How are they supposed to make an informed, intelligent decision when you never taught them how? You've only taught them to do what you say. Arrggh!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Doing what my parents said kept me from getting beaten, sometimes, but it didn't keep me from suffering the consequences from others. I'd obey my parents and do what they said, but that was often the wrong thing to do (called to principal's office for refusing to salute the flag).

The beatings (spankings with a belt until age 14) led me to obey them into adulthood, too, and caused me to have bad credit when my dad said to never EVER pay the collection agencies. I didn't. I'm having a hard time reparing my credit from those past mistakes of listening to my parents.

My mom forcefully urged me to go to the doctor for the most trivial things when I was about 20 and still living at home. Obediently, I went and racked up charges that also hurt my credit because of not having the money to pay for them.

Of course, my mom wouldn't help me pay for those charges.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit