Do you get a kick out of end of the world themed TV Shows/Movies?

by Wasanelder Once 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• dissed
    dissed

Love sci fi with end of the world scenarios

Panic in the year zero was the first that made me think. Even Mad Max has a place in my heart.

Some of the new stuff is trash like Day After. At least make it possible and don't preach weak biased politoco thoughts.

My fav writer is Ray Bradbury, love his works and reread them when I get a chance. Unfortunately, his books never translated well to the movies.

• undercover
    undercover

Somebody mentioned Omega Man.... I loved that movie. Yea, it's tame to today's movies, but when I was young it creeped me out. Anthony Zerbe and his zombies coming out after dark and ole Chuck having to keep the spotlights on all night. And it wasn't even really their fault. It was government vs government and germ warfare that caused the whole thing...and Chuck represented the government that brought this own them. In a way, you could see that they were justifified in their actions, though insane they were.

I liked Planet ot the Apes too. Seeing Moses trying to escape talking monkeys was pretty scary for a kid...I didn't get all the implications as a kid, but as an adult I gained a whole new appreciation for it as I understood the meanings behind it.

Even thoough those movies were glorified B movies, the stories were much deeper than today's blockbuster action end-of-the-world movies. New ones rely on CGI and action to tell the story when it used to be the ideas behind the catastrophy that sparked the older ones.

• glenster
  • villabolo
    villabolo

Glenster; my goodness I forgot Strangelove one of my top 10! Oh well it was a partial list.

Under cover, I'm glad you like Ω man. As far as the old flicks being more moralistic compared to the high tech fluff we have today I totally agree with you.

villabolo

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

OMG someone at work was talking about this 2012 thing today. I said I spent my whole life afraid that the next day might bring the end of the world. Now I just feel like Woody Allen - "I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Or put another way, very quick or in my sleep. One thing I refuse to do is worry about it. shit, we all have to go sometime.

Ada

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

One of my favorites was Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank.

About 15 years ago I went through the Out of the Ashes series by Williame Johnstone.

Great stuff.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I saw Flashback. it was interesting more because everyone saw 6 months into the future. That's a pretty good premise to start out with because there are a lot of scenarios to work out. It will be fun to see if they can prevent some of the things they saw, death, divorce, returning to alcoholism, etc.

I have some trouble with watching doomsday movies because some of my family are still dubs and it winds them up too much. Puts them in dub mode way too much.

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Yup Virginia, I think we are all going to get creamed in 2012, the King of the North will take a dump on the King of the South and the King of the South will take a dump on the King of the North, and they will engage in a pushing back and forth tell one of them falls in the shit of the other. Then Michael will stand up, and say I have enough of this your shit, and will beat them with a rod of iron about the head and brow. (Will someone finish the rest of this narrative I forgot the rest.)

• villabolo
    villabolo

A Canticle for Leibowitz. A funny spoof of the Catholic Church and the Middle Ages set in a post nuclear holocaust world.

villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

For those of you who are really into Apocalyptic literature the first one ever written (1822) is The Last Man by Mary Shelley best known as the author of Frankenstein. It is the longest (I had the edited version, the original is 3 volumes plus intro) most boring book I have ever attempted to skim as well as the second most depressing (#1 is The Beach). Not recommended unless you find yourself as the last man or woman with plenty of time on your hands.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit