Do you get a kick out of end of the world themed TV Shows/Movies?

by Wasanelder Once 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Tonight is the premeire of Flashforward. All hell breaks loose worldwide. Soon the movie 2012 will be here with its incredible effects of the end of the world. Do you enjoy watching these sort of shows/movies because of your background in the end of the world cult or do they embarrass you as they remind you of how you lived in "expectation" of it? I love to watch things blow up like this. Totally out of human hands and very stunning. W.Once

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, it seems that the public has a self annahilation fasination infection. There so much of this of this apocalypticism. Conversley to the idea we humans are so fragile we humans are, we can live almost anywhere, in almost any kind of conditions. In places where cock roaches can't live, humans do. In the driest climates, you find humans. The ocean? Not so much, at least not underneath it. Also, wherever we go we (westenrs, anyways) bring a social order. If the social order is robust enough technology grows. Etc.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, it seems that the public has a self annahilation fasination infection. There so much of this of this apocalypticism. Conversley to the idea we humans are so fragile we humans are, we can live almost anywhere, in almost any kind of conditions. In places where cock roaches can't live, humans do. In the driest climates, you find humans. The ocean? Not so much, at least not underneath it. Also, wherever we go we (westenrs, anyways) bring a social order. If the social order is robust enough technology grows. Etc.

S

• villabolo
    villabolo

Wasanelder Once, It was a doomsday movie that partially predisposed me to join the JWs. I was an impressionable child back then. The Movie was Omega Man with Charlton Heston playing the lead role. I know that movie is tame by todays standards but some of todays movies are an insult to my intelligence (The day after tomorrow). I have a small collection of doom books that I enjoy reading and rereading from time to time. I like to see how survivors cope with the circumstances in every way from the utilitarian to the social aspects.

Apocalypse anyone? Bring it on!

villabolo

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I love survival stories. Whether it's the story of someone who purposefully lives off the land (My Side of the Mountain), someone who, through tragedy, must survive harsh circumstances (Life of Pi) or a cataclysmic event in which a small group of people manage to survive (Lucifer's Hammer). I loved Day After Tomorrow. Not the least bit realistic but really creepy in a fun way. I loved the short-lived show Jericho about a small town that must survive after nuclear war devestates the US.

• blondie
    blondie

I watch these again from time to time:

The Day After

On the Beach

Red Dawn

The Trigger Effect

The Quiet Earth

The Stand

Planet of the Apes

The Day of the Triffids

Z for Zachariah

• White Dove
    White Dove

I love end of the world movies, especially when nature causes it, or mankind's stupidity causes nature to mess up, like in The Day After Tomorrow.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I loved the book, "The Stand." I have the movie, "Castaway."

• villabolo
    villabolo

Day of the Triffids. The book, which is very realistic, not the movie.

The Long Winter (An abrupt ice age forces the British to immigrate to Africa. And Yes, you can read between the lines.

Greybeard. No more human births, the population ages until the youngest person is in his mid fifties in a collapsed society.

Earth Abides. First modern doomsday book of any importance. Most of humanity dies of a disease. The few survivors join and mankind retribalizes.

Among Madmen. The best zombie book even for those who detest zombie flicks. A whole town of survivalists. A deputy with a half zombie wife whose zombiesque personality come out after sex. Hilarious and well worth the read.

villabolo

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Thanks for the book recommendations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit