Hitler Forgiven ?

by Inkie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

Can he be? Consider if you will . . .

Poppers writes in the thread entitled: “A conversation that sent me on a search,” on Page 489.

But ask about Hitler, Stalin and Queen ( bloody) Mary of England and they would say that they didn't know, or that they would be resserected and given 1000 years to change their ways...

Does anyone think that if the Hitlers and Stalins of history were resurrected and given 1000 years to change their ways that they actually would? It seems to me they would end up doing lots of terrible stuff during their 1000 years. Would they be given a full 1000 years or would they be incarcerated and executed after their first crime? What if they weren't caught, or what if they were falsely accused and then executed? Was there a teaching on any of this?

My take on this when reading it is that people often think of the wicked things that these three people (mentioned by Poppers) did, not to mention the heinous things done by many others not mentioned throughout the ages, and they think that these people cannot or will not be forgiven their gross sins. I write to say that this is not necessarily so. The Master stated that “all sins will be forgiven the sons of men.”

Can or will Hitler (and others) be forgiven their sins? Well consider King Manasseh (a Jewish King).

Manasseh made it his mission to undo the good reforms instituted by his father, and to do a great deal of evil. Hezekiah had destroyed shrines of pagan worship throughout the land; Manasseh rebuilt them, adding shrines to Baal and Asherah. He desecrated Jah’s temple by putting altars for idol worship in it. He sacrificed his own sons, burning them to death in worship of the idol Molech. Manasseh murdered so many people that the writers of 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles wrote that he “filled Jerusalem from one end to the other” with innocent blood.

Did Hitler do to Jews any worse than what their own king did to them? Actually, if truth be told, Hitler did less to the Jews than what King Manasseh did. Yet . . . . (And, No! I am not condoning what Hitler did—not in any way whatsoever!)

Jah sent His prophets to warn of the disaster that would come because the people followed Manasseh in his great sins!. Did you get that?! Judah would be destroyed by their enemies. But king and people ignored the warnings.

Late in King Manasseh's 55-year reign, Assyria attacked Jerusalem, captured Manasseh, and placed him in a prison 1,000 miles away. Humiliated and powerless, he sat in his cell and remembered his father's days. He began to pray to Jah, confessing his sin and asking the Jah's help. Jah heard Manasseh's prayer, freed him, and returned him to his throne in Jerusalem.

This was not foxhole a conversion. Back in power, Manasseh was a new man. He destroyed all the idol shrines he had built, removed his desecrations from Jah’s temple, and restored the temple worship.

Unfortunately, Manasseh's conversion came too late to have any lasting impact on his kingdom. When Judah fell, Jah blamed it on the sins of Manasseh.

Consider 2 Kings, Chapter 21; and 2 Chronicles, Chapter 33.

Taken from The Message Bible:

1 -6 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king. He ruled for fifty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hephzibah. In God's judgment he was a bad king—an evil king. He reintroduced all the moral rot and spiritual corruption that had been scoured from the country when God dispossessed the pagan nations in favor of the children of Israel. He rebuilt all the sex-and-religion shrines that his father Hezekiah had torn down, and he built altars and phallic images for the sex god Baal and sex goddess Asherah, exactly what Ahaz king of Israel had done. He worshiped the cosmic powers, taking orders from the constellations. He even built these pagan altars in The Temple of God, the very Jerusalem Temple dedicated exclusively by God's decree ("in Jerusalem I place my Name") to God's Name. And he built shrines to the cosmic powers and placed them in both courtyards of The Temple of God. He burned his own son in a sacrificial offering. He practiced black magic and fortunetelling. He held séances and consulted spirits from the underworld. Much evil—in God's judgment, a career in evil. And God was angry.

7 -8 As a last straw he placed the carved image of the sex goddess Asherah in The Temple of God, a flagrant and provocative violation of God's well-known statement to both David and Solomon, "In this Temple and in this city Jerusalem, my choice out of all the tribes of Israel, I place my Name—exclusively and forever. Never again will I let my people Israel wander off from this land I gave to their ancestors. But here's the condition: They must keep everything I've commanded in the instructions my servant Moses passed on to them."

9 But the people didn't listen. Manasseh led them off the beaten path into practices of evil even exceeding the evil of the pagan nations that God had earlier destroyed.

10 -12 God, thoroughly fed up, sent word through his servants the prophets: "Because Manasseh king of Judah has committed these outrageous sins, eclipsing the sin-performance of the Amorites before him, setting new records in evil, using foul idols to debase Judah into a nation of sinners, this is my judgment, God's verdict: I, the God of Israel, will visit catastrophe on Jerusalem and Judah, a doom so terrible that when people hear of it they'll shake their heads in disbelief, saying, 'I can't believe it!'

13 -15 "I'll visit the fate of Samaria on Jerusalem, a rerun of Ahab's doom. I'll wipe out Jerusalem as you would wipe out a dish, wiping it out and turning it over to dry. I'll get rid of what's left of my inheritance, dumping them on their enemies. If their enemies can salvage anything from them, they're welcome to it. They've been nothing but trouble to me from the day their ancestors left Egypt until now. They pushed me to my limit; I won't put up with their evil any longer."

16 The final word on Manasseh was that he was an indiscriminate murderer. He drenched Jerusalem with the innocent blood of his victims. That's on top of all the sins in which he involved his people. As far as God was concerned, he'd turned them into a nation of sinners.

17 -18 The rest of the life and times of Manasseh, everything he did and his sorry record of sin, is written in The Chronicles of the Kings of Judah. Manasseh died and joined his ancestors. He was buried in the palace garden, the Garden of Uzza. His son Amon became the next king.

2 Kings 23:

10 -11 Then Josiah demolished the Topheth, the iron furnace griddle set up in the Valley of Ben Hinnom for sacrificing children in the fire. No longer could anyone burn son or daughter to the god Molech. He hauled off the horse statues honoring the sun god that the kings of Judah had set up near the entrance to The Temple. They were in the courtyard next to the office of Nathan-Melech, the warden. He burned up the sun-chariots as so much rubbish.

12 -15 The king smashed all the altars to smithereens—the altar on the roof shrine of Ahaz, the various altars the kings of Judah had made, the altars of Manasseh that littered the courtyard of The Temple—he smashed them all, pulverized the fragments, and scattered their dust in the Valley of Kidron. The king proceeded to make a clean sweep of all the sex-and-religion shrines that had proliferated east of Jerusalem on the south slope of Abomination Hill, the ones Solomon king of Israel had built to the obscene Sidonian sex goddess Ashtoreth, to Chemosh the dirty-old-god of the Moabites, and to Milcom the depraved god of the Ammonites. He tore apart the altars, chopped down the phallic Asherah-poles, and scattered old bones over the sites. Next, he took care of the altar at the shrine in Bethel that Jeroboam son of Nebat had built—the same Jeroboam who had led Israel into a life of sin. He tore apart the altar, burned down the shrine leaving it in ashes, and then lit fire to the phallic Asherah-pole.

16 As Josiah looked over the scene, he noticed the tombs on the hillside. He ordered the bones removed from the tombs and had them cremated on the ruined altars, desacralizing the evil altars. This was a fulfillment of the word of God spoken by the Holy Man years before when Jeroboam had stood by the altar at the sacred convocation.

17 Then the king said, "And that memorial stone—whose is that?"

The men from the city said, "That's the grave of the Holy Man who spoke the message against the altar at Bethel that you have just fulfilled."

18 Josiah said, "Don't trouble his bones." So they left his bones undisturbed, along with the bones of the prophet from Samaria.

19 -20 But Josiah hadn't finished. He now moved through all the towns of Samaria where the kings of Israel had built neighborhood sex-and-religion shrines, shrines that had so angered God. He tore the shrines down and left them in ruins—just as at Bethel. He killed all the priests who had conducted the sacrifices and cremated them on their own altars, thus desacralizing the altars. Only then did Josiah return to Jerusalem.

21 The king now commanded the people, "Celebrate the Passover to God, your God, exactly as directed in this Book of the Covenant."

22 -23 This commanded Passover had not been celebrated since the days that the judges judged Israel—none of the kings of Israel and Judah had celebrated it. But in the eighteenth year of the rule of King Josiah this very Passover was celebrated to God in Jerusalem.

24 Josiah scrubbed the place clean and trashed spirit-mediums, sorcerers, domestic gods, and carved figures—all the vast accumulation of foul and obscene relics and images on display everywhere you looked in Judah and Jerusalem. Josiah did this in obedience to the words of God's Revelation written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in The Temple of God.

25 There was no king to compare with Josiah—neither before nor after— a king who turned in total and repentant obedience to God, heart and mind and strength, following the instructions revealed to and written by Moses. The world would never again see a king like Josiah.

26 -27 But despite Josiah, God's hot anger did not cool; the raging anger ignited by Manasseh burned unchecked. And God, not swerving in his judgment, gave sentence: "I'll remove Judah from my presence in the same way I removed Israel. I'll turn my back on this city, Jerusalem, that I chose, and even from this Temple of which I said, 'My Name lives here.'"

2 Kings 24:2

God dispatched a succession of raiding bands against him: Babylonian, Aramean, Moabite, and Ammonite. The strategy was to destroy Judah. Through the preaching of his servants and prophets, God had said he would do this, and now he was doing it. None of this was by chance—it was God's judgment as he turned his back on Judah because of the enormity of the sins ofManassehManasseh, the killer-king, who made the Jerusalem streets flow with the innocent blood of his victims. God wasn't about to overlook such crimes.

2 Chronicles 33

1 -6 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king. He ruled for fifty-five years in Jerusalem. In God's opinion he was a bad king—an evil king. He reintroduced all the moral rot and spiritual corruption that had been scoured from the country when God dispossessed the pagan nations in favor of the children of Israel. He rebuilt the sex-and-religion shrines that his father Hezekiah had torn down, he built altars and phallic images for the sex god Baal and the sex goddess Asherah and worshiped the cosmic powers, taking orders from the constellations. He built shrines to the cosmic powers and placed them in both courtyards of The Temple of God, the very Jerusalem Temple dedicated exclusively by God's decree to God's Name ("in Jerusalem I place my Name"). He burned his own sons in a sacrificial rite in the Valley of Ben Hinnom. He practiced witchcraft and fortunetelling. He held séances and consulted spirits from the underworld. Much evil—in God's view a career in evil. And God was angry.

7 -8 As a last straw he placed a carved image of the sex goddess Asherah that he had commissioned in The Temple of God, a flagrant and provocative violation of God's well-known command to both David and Solomon, "In this Temple and in this city Jerusalem, my choice out of all the tribes of Israel, I place my Name—exclusively and forever." He had promised, "Never again will I let my people Israel wander off from this land I've given to their ancestors. But on this condition, that they keep everything I've commanded in the instructions my servant Moses passed on to them."

9 -10 But Manasseh led Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem off the beaten path into practices of evil exceeding even the evil of the pagan nations that God had earlier destroyed. When God spoke to Manasseh and his people about this, they ignored him.

11 -13 Then God directed the leaders of the troops of the king of Assyria to come after Manasseh. They put a hook in his nose, shackles on his feet, and took him off to Babylon. Now that he was in trouble, he went to his knees in prayer asking for help—total repentance before the God of his ancestors. As he prayed, God was touched; God listened and brought him back to Jerusalem as king. That convinced Manasseh that God was in control.

14 -17 After that Manasseh rebuilt the outside defensive wall of the City of David to the west of the Gihon spring in the valley. It went from the Fish Gate and around the hill of Ophel. He also increased its height. He tightened up the defense system by posting army captains in all the fortress cities of Judah. He also did a good spring cleaning on The Temple, carting out the pagan idols and the goddess statue. He took all the altars he had set up on The Temple hill and throughout Jerusalem and dumped them outside the city. He put the Altar of God back in working order and restored worship, sacrificing Peace-Offerings and Thank-Offerings. He issued orders to the people: "You shall serve and worship God, the God of Israel." But the people didn't take him seriously—they used the name "God" but kept on going to the old pagan neighborhood shrines and doing the same old things.

18 -19 The rest of the history of Manasseh—his prayer to his God, and the sermons the prophets personally delivered by authority of God, the God of Israel—this is all written in The Chronicles of the Kings of Israel. His prayer and how God was touched by his prayer, a list of all his sins and the things he did wrong, the actual places where he built the pagan shrines, the installation of the sex-goddess Asherah sites, and the idolatrous images that he worshiped previous to his conversion—this is all described in the records of the prophets.

20 When Manasseh died, they buried him in the palace garden. His son Amon was the next king.

After reading about King Manasseh, do you think God can't or won't forgive Hitler (and others like him) if they are truly repentent?

--Inkie

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

We always want the worst for those who have done recent atrosities.

But you have brought up some interesting thoughts, especially the experience of Manasseh.

Thankfully God can read hearts and will extend forgiveness to those that He desires.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Inkie, when questions such as those come to my mind, I find comfort in these words.

Also, from The Message Bible:

Isaiah 55:6 -7 Seek God while he's here to be found,
    pray to him while he's close at hand. Let the wicked abandon their way of life
    and the evil their way of thinking. Let them come back to God, who is merciful,
    come back to our God, who is lavish with forgiveness.

8 -11 "I don't think the way you think.
    The way you work isn't the way I work."
    God's Decree. "For as the sky soars high above earth,
    so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
    and the way I think is beyond the way you think. Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
    and don't go back until they've watered the earth, Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
    producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry, So will the words that come out of my mouth
    not come back empty-handed. They'll do the work I sent them to do,
    they'll complete the assignment I gave them.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Here is the thing, if God doesn't forgive Hitler or Stalin or anyone you wish to include in the mix, he will also NOT forgive all the people that ALLOWED Hitler to stay in power, that followed his orders, that went BEYOND his orders, all those that supported him and his ilke.

At any point in time, any people can get rid of despot, of a man creating so much death and havoc that he "deserves eternal" punishment and what does it say of a people when they DON"t Get rid of him, when they allow him to do even worse !

If Hitler doesn't deserve a second chance for ordering people to commit attrocites then what of ALL the people the commited them and what of all the people that turned a "blind eye" to them?

Do I think Hitler and his ilke shoudl eb forgiven?

No.

• Inkie
    Inkie

PSacramento:

It's not a question of what you think. It's a question of what Jah thinks about a person who is repentent. You have no 'say so'! We have no 'say so.' Thank Jah for that.

--Inkie

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If anyone truly repents, they're forgiven - God's grace is without limits.

Here's another related thought - what if bad people eg Pharaoh were actually doing God's will? If they were obeying His will - whether or not they knew it - did they sin at all?

• Inkie
    Inkie

Paul stated in Romans: "When people of the nations (your bad people) do by nature the things of the law, they are a law unto themselves." So, no, they didn't sin in that which you speak of.

--Inkie

• watson
    watson

It doesn't matter because GOD will make up for all of those deaths by resurecting them.....

• Farkel
    Farkel

Modern psychiatrists state that if today's medications were available in Hitler's time and he took them, he would have never become the Hitler he was.

It only makes sense to me. Some chemical, synapse or whatever-it-is-in-the-brain that causes it to misfire made Hitler, well, Hitler. We are only made of elements and chemicals, you know; stuff from dirt.

That being said, it makes sense that he should be allowed another chance after he is, er, "fixed."

But also, it would be a nice thing if he had to sit down and personally apologize to all 40,000,000 people he was responsible for getting killed.

THAT should make him think twice about doing it again! And it would give me a chance to personally sock him in the mouth. Hard.

Whether I will get a second chance is debatable, however.

Farkel

• dissed
    dissed

Understand, you can kill millions, rape and torture people, even kick dogs, and JW's say you will be be forgiven.

But, if you as a JW celebrates a birthday, you are DF'd, hated and despised beyond measure, and not worthy of life in the NO.

"Oh to disobey the GB. A sin without measure!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit