The WTS & The Sound of Music

by Farkel 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

I recently watched the classic 1965 film "The Sound of Music" for the umteenth time. It was the winner of 5 academy awards, including Best Picture. I originally saw it on the big screen when it first aired and loved every minute of it. I was a diehard JW at that time and there was something about the movie that really moved me. It wasn't just the heart-warming story or the beautiful music, either. It was something else that I just couldn't put my finger on at the time.

Then I discovered that "something else" this last time I watched it, and now I know the deep-seated reason why I loved that movie from the very first time I saw it. It represented a possibility in life that I yearned for, but did not have.

The movie starts out with two big contrasts: a rigid, rule-making autocratic father who stifles the youthful energy and creative talents of his 7 children and makes them live to serve his ideals of structure and control vs. an energetic and free-spirited governess who revels in the enjoyment of life and is in constant awe and celebration of that life by soaking up all it has to offer each and every moment of every day.

I thought to myself, "my God, THIS is what it was! Captain von Trapp is just like the Watchtower Printing Corporation and represents what kind of a life one must live under that bondage. Maria (the governess) is just like what kind of life is then available when you break free of the chains of the Watchtower Corporation."

Of course, this kind of analogy applies to any high-control religion, but I was raised in the Watchtower one, so that is the one which is most relevant for me.

If you watch that movie with those thoughts in mind, you cannot help but think that any kind of God worthy of the title "God" would never want his creation to live in the misery of a Captain von Trapp world, when the real world has so much beauty and joy to offer humans who only need to soak it in and enjoy the most of it.

Climb Every Mountain

End of observations.

Farkel, Maria CLASS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

WT thinks life and spontaneity are mutually exclusive.

For instance, I LOL'd at this thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/humour/181973/1/OUTLAWS-Email-This-thread-is-rated-Naughty, something I would never have done while a JW.

Sylvia

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Thanks for posting this Farkel. I so needed to hear this today. Like you, I loved this movie.

Climb Every Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZECMuo4pJDs&feature=PlayList&p=CD9F88906F1DD408&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

My fantasy was to sing and dance to the Sound of Music like Julie Andrews did in the intro. I couldn't find any links to the movie but here's the sountrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_w-fsfU8-U&feature=PlayList&p=47F5D4773CA020AD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

• rocketman
    rocketman

First the Borg, and now von Trapp!* And I agree with both analogies...

* von Trapp was played by Christopher Plummer, who also played Klingon General Chang in Star Trek VI. No Borg in Trek VI, so I'm stretching the connection a bit.

• Inkie
    Inkie

Yes! Exactly, Farkel.

The Captain is like any and all religions. The governess is like Christ when he said (paraphrasing),

"I've come that you may have life, and that you may have it in abundance!"

--Inkie

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

HI Farkel,

I will use the same movie but change the characters for my analogy

I thought to myself, "my God, THIS is what it was! THE NAZI's are just like the Watchtower Printing Corporation and represents what kind of a life one must live under that bondage. SWITZERLAND is just like what kind of life is then available when you break free of the chains of the Watchtower Corporation."

• undercover
    undercover

I think our oppression and repression cause us to relate to things like what you described in the movie that other people would never think twice about.

It doesn't have to hit you over the head...sometimes the subtleness of the message is more powerful in a movie like Sound of Music than say The Matrix. The Matrix is just too obvious but what you described in the Sound of Music was a subtle thing yet something you understood and gave you appreciation for the movie even more.

I was never a big fan of the SoM - only saw it once as a kid, but I may have to go back and watch it now.

• Farkel
    Farkel

inkie,

As you pointed out, Jesus said:

:"I've come that you may have life, and that you may have it in abundance!"

Even the WTS promises life in "abundance" in the New World(tm), i.e. you will never die. What they don't talk about is the "quality" of that life everlasting.

There is much more to life than lion petting and picnics every damn day, you stupid Watchtower twits! Maybe you twit WT Leaders should go see the movie and learn something new about life for a change. Just because your life is miserable doesn't mean ours has to be!

Farkel

• snowbird
    snowbird
    There is much more to life than lion petting and picnics every damn day, you stupid Watchtower twits!

I don't care for lions or picnics, so I felt lost at times.

Sylvia

• dissed
    dissed

lepermessiah

I was thinking Von Trap was the Rutherford/Knorr Class while the Nazis represented the change to the GB running the whole show. Either way, they both stink

Farkel

We went to Austria on our vacation a long time ago and my daughter got to skip through the meadows with her arms outstretched. She called it the place, "where the singing children" live. Great memories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit