Disfellowshipping: A protection in the end?

by Esmeralda 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Essie,

Although we've never met, being on opposite sides of this wonderful globe, I feel as though we know you so well because of this "most excellent post" (in Francois' words).

Many ex-Dubs Mrs Ozzie and I have met with have expressed the view that, where possible, a clean break from Dubdom is best and a DF can serve such a purpose.

I'm glad you've progressed and 'got it all together' now. You deserve it!

Again, many thanks for enlightening us today.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Esmeralda,

My wife and I though not DF'd are just beginning the journey of independance from the WT Society. We are just getting beyond the depression of leaving friends and the "burning" up of beliefs we thought solid. We know some day we will be where you are now, with a new life, filled with new friends and happiness. Thanks for the story and a peak at our future.

Jst2laws

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Wow Esmeralda,

I just read your history on your site and realized I know your story. After having to cover the awful 99 KM insert in the service meeting I started an intense search of the internet for JW and XJW sites to see what the paranoia was about. Your site and your story was one I came across sometime in that period. I felt like Colombus sailing unchartered water and your site was one of the islands I discovered. THANKS.

I would like to think Justin is the man you married but its not that important. You have a great husband now and a new life.

Jst2laws

• cellomould
    cellomould

Wonderful comments Essie!

I truly feel for you. I have been away for only a few months, as I told you in my e-mail. I can see through your experience to be patient, as the pain will be with me for quite a while.

In fact, it may increase. I have never lost someone close to me, and I am sure this will present a trial for me and my family when it inevitably happens. Thank you for sharing.

To add my comments to your conclusion:

Being singled out as different for being a 'faithful witness' was surely a protection as well for us. So many people on this board tell sob stories of how they were 'so different!' as children and were miserable.

I don't know about that attitude.

Now that I think about it, it certainly prepared me to face the reality I see before me now. Even people who profess to love you will intolerably hate the differences they see in you.

So let's be thankful for those that love us unconditionally in our lives. If we have no one like that, we need to find such friends! They exist!

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Congratulations! A JW will never understand how happiness can truly exist outside of the WT because they are scared to death of it.
    My JW family as well refuses to acknowlege that I am happy although I can tell it bugs them. My life in worldly terms is better off than theirs then on top of it I have true joy now-- Live your Joy and God Bless!

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Thanks for all your responses everybody!

LB Nice to meet you! It's so sweet that you remembered me after reading my site. I don't recall 'talking' to you here on the board before (if I have and forgot, forgive me! MS brain). Glad to have you here. Oh, and I like your hat :)

Amazing Thanks for your kind words. I remember your posts on H2O being some of the first I read. Your justice series was quite an eye-opener! Thanks for all you've taught me and many others.

AMarie Isn't it incredible what you can discover once you're not stuck hearing those same old WT tapes in your head all the time? For me being away from my relatives judgements of me was even more helpful than not hearing the WTS jargon. I guess I took it more personally because they were related to me. I realize now that they never wanted me to be myself, just to live in the role they cast me into (thanks Dr Phil!). It's been amazing to finally get free of that. I'm glad you're getting free too! :)

Richie Nice to meet you! You said:

Little do we realize at first, that by being thrown out of this unloving arrangement, it is actually for our benefit - NOT to go back to the Borg of course - but in order for us to compare genuine love with plastic love, the latter naturally referring to the Society.
    Isn't that the truth! I think especially for those of us born in, we have no idea what real love is. I know that my husband's family has taught me so much about it in the past 3 years. Especially my husband himself. He used to say to me, "It makes me so sad to realize that you really have no idea what it means to be loved." Now he says that he's so happy that he has had the chance to show me :)

I hope that by posting this here and on my site that maybe it'll help someone who is in that state of shock that follows df'ing to know that things really can, and will, get better. Thanks for your remarks!

Kristen Happy New Year to you too! *hug*

MyMichelle Girl, I owe you so much e mail! *lol* I'm sorry I'm sorry! Not enough of my brain cels to go around these days.

I can definatly relate (I won't be writing the Governing Body any thank yous either, believe me!) but I'm so glad to know that others too can see that they have learned something from the whole mess. I believe if nothing else, our children will be far better off for the things we've been through and that is a great reward in itself, eh? *hugs*

Mum Thanks for your kind words! *hug*

Francois Hey, glad to 'see' you! Hope all is well with you. *hug*

ozziepost Hi Oz! Thanks for your remarks...I have always enjoyed your posts. It's interesting that you've heard other exJW's say that their df'ing was a clean break for them because I haven't heard that in these parts. Glad you liked the post :) *hugs*

MULAN! The long way I've come, baby, especially lately, has a LOT to do with you my friend! Love ya! *hugs*

just2laws*HUG* Your words brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for saying that my site was of help to you. That makes all the work and emotion that went into it so worthwhile to me :) I hope that it won't take long for you and your wife to find that happiness that I finally found. You may have to learn to recognize it, as dubs we're used to being miserable (I once heard a talk that said if you aren't struggling than you're not doing enough in the truth and you should ask yourself why you're not being persecuted more! UGH!)

I know that you will find it. I'm so glad that you have each other on this journey. Oh, and Justin is the one I married ;) We're happier than ever. I know every single day how blessed I am!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

cellomould you're right about finding true friends, I'm glad that you realize it's possible as you look ahead to what may in fact really be terribly trying times for you. It's hard...I can't find the words right now but I guess I'm just trying to say that I feel for you so much in what you're going through. Hang in there and know I'm sending all good thoughts your way.

Adonai "Live your joy" what a great phrase! I'm going to remember that one! *hugs*

*whew* I think that's everyone *lol*

Love ya all, guys. Thanks again, and goodnight! It's past my bedtime LOL.

Es

"Though you may disappear, you're not forgotten here, and I will say to you, I will do what I can do." ~Peter Gabriel

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

What a nice post. I'm glad that you are happy. I'm glad that you can see them for what they are.

Slipnslidemaster:"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Esmeralda Hello!

Wonderful post and insight. You stated, as so many posters previous to me have, my life experience also.

Your insight into the drone, non-thinking way is true. I recently saw cousins at a funeral and all they could talk about was seeing our recently departed relative in "the new system."

They are confounded by my lack of belief and refusal to be sucked in and made to feel guilty for leaving.

You wrote a great essay. Thanks!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Essie,

Your encouragement on this board is so refreshing to me! Thank you for being such a good example of positive thinking. It's something that I strive to do daily and many people comment to me about my positive outlook. But what they don't realize is that it takes work! It doesn't come second nature, especially since I came from such a negative childhood. But I decided a few years ago that I control my mindset, outlook, and behaviors. So I do it, but it's not something that comes without struggle. Thank you for the great reminder.

Love ya,

Andi

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Esmeralda,
    I have said it before but it bears repeating. We really think so much alike. If I had sat down and really put my mind to writing how I have felt through all the changes since I Da'ed myself in June of 2000, I believe I would have come up with words very similiar to yours!! Excellent.
    We can either cry over spilt milk or we can rejoice in our wonderful life that we have now and move on.
    I have also come to the stage where I realize in my heart, that though I love my family deeply and always will, we have absolutely nothing in common.
    Back in July my mother made a very rude comment to me to the effect that I had done the organization a favor by da'ing myself. I remember thinking, I did myself a favor. And the more time that goes by the more I realize that.
    I just had a conversation this morning with one of my clients (I clean for a living and have had most of them for many years. They are familiar with my situation and have seen the changes in me for the better) She said "When you first got involved with your husband I had my reservations, but I was just telling the lady next door this morning, it is the best thing that ever happened to you. You are happier now than I have ever seen you, and it seems like you just keep getting happier". She also knows that I left the JW's and I know that in her mind though she may never say it, that it also has something to do with that as well.
    So thank you for sharing your thoughts and in the process writing down my own!!
    Love to your and yours,
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit