Need help on how to deal with BIL...

by cognac 8 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

He's a complete a$$ to my sister. It's sometimes very shocking how much of a jerk he is. When I say something, I get, "Be careful Cognac" and he's told me before that there marriage is none of my business. The thing is, is he's a jerk to her right in front of me. I can't just let him talk to her like that...

In general, he treats women like they are inferior to him.

The thing is, is that my sister and I are really close. I have this habit of keeping my distance from him when he's been a jerk, but then as time goes on I warm up to him again. Then, he does it all over again.

I mean, the way he can acts can be really vicious and degrading to her. It's really upsetting. Has anybody else dealt with this situation? How did you handle it? Should I completely cut contact off with him and only be around her? I feel that would hurt my relationship with her and then she wouldn't have anybody to go to about it....

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Between the two of you, the only one who can do anything about him is your sister. If you confont him, he'll bully your sister into avoiding you. You can build your sister up and encourage her to stand up to him. If he's hitting her, you should call the police.

• DJK
    DJK

Is your sister asking for help?

research abuse on the internet, print out the signs of abuse and drop them in front of her. Let her do the rest.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

What a hard situation. You love your sister so much, but feel helpless to assist her. How strong is she, as in, if he tells her NOT to see you anymore, would she listen to him or stand up to him? You might want to just 'be there for her'. She probably senses the tension between you and him, so it may make it harder on her if you say or do anything.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It sounds like you could all do with reading this book. It should be available at your local library.

Take Back Your L i fe: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships.

Or the previous edition, Captive Hearts, Captive Minds: freedom and recovery from cults and abusive relationships.

by Madeleine Landau Tobias & Janja Lalich

There is some discussion of them in these threads.

• carla
    carla

In my experience with women who choose to stay with abusive men and you try to help, YOU will be end up being the bad guy eventually. Offer her help as already suggested and leave it to her. Let her know you are there for her at anytime and could even take her in if she ever needs it.

As for him, you could try to semi joke about his abusive comments telling him how you would never put up with such a thing but that can backfire as well and he could attempt to limit your time with your sister. He in all likelyhood will not change but she can change how she reacts or if she even stays. If he is being a jerk in your home you certainly have the right to say such behavior is not allowed in your home. But then he may leave and take her with. What does your husband say about this? Maybe he needs to show the bil what a loving husband is by his actions/words with you in front of the two of them.

• cognac
    cognac
    Between the two of you, the only one who can do anything about him is your sister. If you confont him, he'll bully your sister into avoiding you. You can build your sister up and encourage her to stand up to him. If he's hitting her, you should call the police.

She never sticks up for herself. And he's an a$$ right in front of me. What am I supposed to say, nothing??? I try to be as nice as possible when I do say something... I don't think he's hitting her because there has never been any signs of physical abuse... The PITA thing about it, is that she ALWAYS wants me to go to her house. She's a homebody and is constantly cleaning or cooking or something. So, it's hard to avoid him...

Is your sister asking for help?
    research abuse on the internet, print out the signs of abuse and drop them in front of her. Let her do the rest.

She hasn't asked for help. However, she has just started talking about it though. Yesturday, I was actually afraid of him. So, that could be because it's gotten worse???

What a hard situation. You love your sister so much, but feel helpless to assist her. How strong is she, as in, if he tells her NOT to see you anymore, would she listen to him or stand up to him? You might want to just 'be there for her'. She probably senses the tension between you and him, so it may make it harder on her if you say or do anything.

I've stood up to him before and he's never been able to separate us. I know she senses the tension between me and her husband. I think she could sense that I was getting REALLY pissed yesturday. She even offered me a beer, she usually doesn't do that...

Blacksheep - Thanks for the advice. I will go look for that book tomorrow.

In my experience with women who choose to stay with abusive men and you try to help, YOU will be end up being the bad guy eventually. Offer her help as already suggested and leave it to her. Let her know you are there for her at anytime and could even take her in if she ever needs it.
    As for him, you could try to semi joke about his abusive comments telling him how you would never put up with such a thing but that can backfire as well and he could attempt to limit your time with your sister. He in all likelyhood will not change but she can change how she reacts or if she even stays. If he is being a jerk in your home you certainly have the right to say such behavior is not allowed in your home. But then he may leave and take her with. What does your husband say about this? Maybe he needs to show the bil what a loving husband is by his actions/words with you in front of the two of them.

I've offered my home to her before. I've done the semi joke thing. My husband can't stand him is has tried to show him what a real husband should be. My husband has even said something to him. Now, my husband hates going over there because he can't stand how he treats her and get's frustrated that she just puts up with it.

• DJK
    DJK

Your BIL needs counseling. He will never seek it on his own or at the request of his wife. ESPECIALLY since he's a JW.

If he's physically abusive, she may never report it. ESPECIALLY since she's a JW.

Even though she is your sister, she may have thoughts and experiences you cannot extract from her. Like, what goes on behind closed doors. JW or not. She needs to know what is considered abuse. She has to approach her husband and tell him this will not be tolerated. Or else!!

• cognac
    cognac
    Even though she is your sister, she may have thoughts and experiences you cannot extract from her. Like, what goes on behind closed doors. JW or not. She needs to know what is considered abuse.

I know...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit