NFL player quits career to become an idiot

by Captain Schmideo2 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

http://www.jwleather.com/news/jason-worilds-quits-nfl-to-knock-on-doors-as-a-jehovahs-witness

Picture
    Jason Worilds gave up playing football for millions of dollars to follow his faith. Wednesday Worilds announced he was leaving the Pitsburg Stealers NFL team to further his work as a witness of Jehovah.

He informed the Steelers of his retirement in a phone call Tuesday, the day he became an unrestricted free agent and one of the top linebackers available for any team to sign. The Steelers were hoping to lure him back with a multiyear contract after they paid him nearly $10 million in 2014. His 7½ sacks tied for the team lead in 2014 from his outside linebacker position.

Why is Worilds walking away from the game? According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Worilds is doing so to work for his religion, Jehovah's Witnesses.
    The Steelers released a statement on the matter Tuesday:

"We respect his decision to retire and thank him for his five years in Pittsburgh. We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

After racking up 15.5 sacks with consistent quarterback pressure over the past two seasons, Worilds entered the new league year No. 10 on Around The NFL's list of the Top 101 free agents.

If this is the end, Worilds will finish his five-year career with 204 tackles with 25.5 sacks.

Worilds - “I appreciate all of the interest from the organizations that have reached out to us the past few days,’’ Worilds wrote on Twitter early Wednesday morning. “With that being said, after much thought & consideration I have chosen to step away from football as I have opted to pursue other interests.
    “I am especially grateful of the opportunity to play before some of the greatest fans in football today. Despite any concern and speculation that may ensue, I appreciate those that are respectful of my decision.”
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

I posted this comment. I wonder how long it will stay up?

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    In case you can't read the teeny tiny print, it says:

"He's a schmuck...when he's old and gray and broke, "the world" will still be ticking away, and he will have wasted his life and thrown away his opportunities for nothing but a cult (who will give a 30 minute sermon at his funeral, with 5 minutes focused on his life, and the rest devoted to the JW commercial)"
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    What a waste. Maybe now that he has his priorities straight, he will qualify to carry the microphones at the KH. Hope he was good at saving cash while he was active....
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    If I made 10 millions last year I would probably quit unless I really loved what I was doing. I would pursue other interests too...but not cult-related ones. He will be paraded at conventions to tell how much happier he is now and how bad being a football player was...bad association, immorality, materialism...violence, all things God hates. I saw the same thing when Tom Edur quit his NHL hockey career and he eventually was sent to serve where the need is great...he wasn't a star and didn't make 10 millions...
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I guess he will get old & grey, but broke ? I doubt..... If they paid him $10million for one year !! ....Woweee... and they say that British footballers are overpaid ......Talk about quitting while you are ahead...

We had a footballer on his way to brilliant things in Britain back in the sixties/seventies who quit to Pioneer as a dub. his name was Peter Knowles. I found this song about him on Youtube , by Billy Bragg, which I found interesting . The graphics are a bit before his time though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfYlwlpz2U

• sir82
    sir82

I kind of wonder....another prominent player quit after one year, due to fear of concussions (he had already suffered several).

I wonder if "I'm going to be a JW" is just a handy excuse to "save face" for quitting for some other reason?

For the record, I think it is extraordinarily wise to quit football early. The danger from concussion is just to great. And it's not just big concussions. A typical player suffers dozens if not hundreds of "mini-concussions" per season, thousands over the course of a career from middle school thru the pros.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I take exception to the tittle of this thread. If he was both a dubbie and Pittsburgh steeler than he was already an idiot, he did not just become one.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jason Worilds gave up playing football for millions of dollars to follow his faith. Wednesday Worilds announced he was leaving the Pitsburg Stealers NFL team to further his work as a witness of Jehovah.

........................................Image result for watchtower logo

......TURNS WINNERS IN LIFE....................................................INTO LOSERS IN LIFE..

...Image result for Jason Worilds....Image result for Watchtower literature cart....Image result for Jason Worilds

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes indeed!

He will be the "poster boy" used at all assemblies and conventions now....

But, he will never be more than a no-body in his actual cong! The elders will make him work extra harder to "qualify" for any "privileges"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit