Symbolisms in Revelation

by snowbird 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

Here is the thing, those that take Revelation or p[arts of it as literal and others as symbolic base this selective view on what?

On their need for it to conform to their interpretation.

I personally think it's wise to remain open-minded and avoid dogmatism like the plague!

LOL

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To me, like I mentioned on the other thread, revelation is a great book to get an idea of apocolyptic literature from the last part of the 1st century/early 2nd century.

Other than that, it doesn't really add anything to the Gospels or the Epsitles.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I find Revelation very, very intriguing.

According to the angel who presented it to John, we are supposed to be happy about reading it!

I think a lot of it applies to the United States of America, but, of course, I could be wrong.

Sylvia

• wobble
    wobble

The funny thing with Dubs is, point out that none of the GB are Jews from those tribes, so cannot be part of the 144,000 and those verses become symbolic, but the 144,000 number is literal.

Pick- and- mix exegesis anyone?

Love

Wobble

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The tribe of Dan was often perceived negatively in late Judaism, due to the serpent image in Genesis 49 and connection with idolatry (same for Ephraim to an extent). Such considerations did not necessarily matter much for the Christian writer(s) of Revelation but maybe more for their Jewish sources he may have used.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Revelation 7:4 literally states that the 144,000 elect are virgin men: “These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact they are virgins.” But as anyone familiar with the Jehovah’s Witnesses knows, the 144,000 are comprised of men and women, married and single; they regard these provisions symbolically as well.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, reading Revelation will bless you, even if you don't understand it,

Revelation 1:3 (English Standard Version)

3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

I agree with JD, the 144, 000 are literal, they are literally 12,000 from each tribe.

This still needs to come to pass, i.e. the last Gentile be saved, then Israel will see Jesus for who He is, the Messiah.

Romans 11:25-27 (New International Version)

All Israel Will Be Saved

25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:
    "The deliverer will come from Zion;
    he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
    27 And this is my covenant with them
    when I take away their sins."

Anyhow, have a browse over here IHOP Resources
    End Times
    How to Apply the Five Prophetic Decrees in Isaiah 19
    Overview of Dan.10: How Intercession Affects the Spirit Realm
    Where is the Church in the Book of Revelation
    Role of Prayer in Revelation and the End–time Church
    Overview of the Book of Revelation (Half Page)
    Overview of the Book of Revelation (MAIN)
    Overview of the Book of Revelation (Extended)
    The Sacred Charge
    150 Chapters on the End Times
    Glossary of End Times Terms
    100 Most Frequently Asked Questions about the End Times

The Prayers of the Saints and the End of the World: John Piper

Happy reading

All the best, Stephen
  • allelsefails
    allelsefails

This is one of the most frustrating arguements I've had with Witnesses. You can say "read what it says" Why would one part be literal and the other symbolic? What scriptural basis is there for this belief? People who otherwise are intelligent thinking people with good jobs and even (a few) with college educations can't see the idiocy of such a stance. ........... My dog can see why that doesn't make sense!

• glenster
    glenster

On the part of Russell and the JWs leaders, I don't see much difference be-
    tween their claim of being the only leaders and rule makers of a literal 144,000
    and any other claim of being a prophet or healer or the return of the Messiah,
    etc. The rest of the JWs leaders' 144,000 don't have much say in the thing or
    have the money sent to them--the "144,000" is just window dressing.

• wobble
    wobble

Do you think they are drifting into some "Noo Lite" that the 144,000 is indeed symbolic, but symbolic of whoever "serves " (themselves) on the Governing Body ?

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit