What should I say to the Mormons?

by bluecanary 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Yesterday as I was leaving the apartment, there were two women in skirts, holding bibles at the door across from me. I almost panicked! I definitely want to talk the JWs if they EVER come to my door (no one knows me in this area) but I'm not ready yet!

But they were Mormons and I invited them to visit me Thursday afternoon. I fairly warned them that I'm an ex-JW and I have no interest in converting to Mormonism, but I would be happy to talk to them if they don't feel like that's a waste of their time. They gave each other this look that they probably didn't know I could read, but it said "Oh yeah, that's what they all say! We've got a live one!"

I feel like this is a practice run for talking to the JWs. It'll help me get the jitters out of my system. My plan with these ladies is not to attack their faith in any way, but to be an honest skeptic. I understand that THEY believe it. Why should I believe it?

I'm trying to sign up with an ex-Mormon forum to get some input, but I don't know when I'll be accepted.

Any other suggestions on how to handle the visit or what to say?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I found this page on the stuff Mormon's won't tell you right away. There's not much to grab onto. It seems like piddiddly stuff, but it's really interesting because it gives me insight into exactly what the witnesses must look like to newcomers. To them, being told that what the witnesses teach about 1919 is a big deal must sound the way this sounds to my ears:

The "First Vision" story in the form presented to you was unknown until 1838, eighteen years after its alleged occurrence and almost ten years after Smith had begun his missionary efforts. The oldest (but quite different) version of the vision is in Smith's own handwriting, dating from about 1832 (still at least eleven years afterwards), and says that only one personage, Jesus Christ, appeared to him. It also mentions nothing about a revival. It also contradicts the later account as to whether Smith had already decided that no church was true. Still a third version of this event is recorded as a recollection in Smith's diary, fifteen years after the alleged vision, where one unidentified "personage" appeared, then another, with a message implying that neither was the Son. They were accompanied by many "angels," which are not mentioned in the official version you have been told about. Which version is correct, if any? Why was this event, now said by the church to be so important, unknown for so long?

I think this kind of stuff only has meaning to believers and ex-believers.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Maybe they wanna talk you into a polygamist orgy !!

YeeHaww !!!!!!

• dinah
    dinah

Tell 'em to pull their magic underwear over their heads and bug off.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi BC,

I think "thanks but no thanks" is your best response.

If you need some basics on the Mormons then see this

Banned Mormon Cartoon

Or if you need more indepth info

Mormons & Illuminati

Keep these verse in mind.

2 John 1:9-10 (New International Version)

9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him.

For sure the Mormons have "run ahead" and are teaching Christ is an angel and the brother of Lucifer.

All the best,

Stephen

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Thanks for the vid, Stephen. I thought the Mormons were wack jobs when I was a JW and my opinion hasn't changed. I have no interest in selling my freedom to another group of men. My goal is to be polite and let them do the talking, but direct it in such a way that maybe they'll realize they have no basis for what they're selling.

I just want to be honest and say that from what I know of the Mormon religion, it sounds like a Joseph Smith set up a scam to give himself a lot of power. I'll ask what them to offer me evidence that that isn't so.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hi, blue!

I had a book of Mormon and The Pearl of High Price. I read both extensively. There was a really good WT article about the flaws in the book of Mormon that I used to study it with. I think the article was from the mid '70's????

One point I remember is that one of the books in the Book of Mormon, (can't think of the name right now, but it started with "N"), there is a scripture where some people are quoted as crying out "A bible! A Bible! We have no need of a bible!" The point was made that at the time this was supposed written, the term "Bible" had not been applied to the scriptures yet.

I remember there being lots of good points in that article. It would be good if you had a book of Mormon first, but if you don't that's OK.

Have fun and learn lots, blue! You'll do great!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Maybe Blondie can find the article I'm thinking of...Sorry, I'm at work right now.

• megawatt
    megawatt

Oh man, lol.

My exact experiece, almost word for word on my drive way a few weeks ago! Do you happen to live in florida? :D. 2 young ladies with a nametag, and was kinda blinded sided that an outsider knew of Joseph Smith and the Mormon's origins. Left nothing more than a post card size tract with the church in UTAH.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't know much about Mormons, but I do know a lot about JW, so the last time I had the chance to talk to them I just talked about my experiences with the JWs. I did this without naming them, just describing my parent's religion as a high control cult.

I made sure that I covered areas that had parallels in their cult.

I got that 'dead eyes' look and quick attempt to divert my attention a couple of times, so I must have been close to the mark.

There is a lot of evidence that the history in the BOM is BS. The DNA evidence is particularly damning. Google it.

As with JWs, it is best to pick ONE question to ask, know the subject well, and keep them on it. The scatter gun approach doesn't work with members of any cult.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit