Excerpts from '1984' by George Orwell--Part 1 (Warning to the impatient: DO NOT READ)

by sd-7 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Great post. BTTT because it's well worth the attention.

• Denial
    Denial

someone said: "

denial said

if you don't want to waste time, do some research......

why ,why,why....denial?.......da da da da da da da

dyslexics rool"

this is why:

• KW13
    KW13

I too have likened being in the Society to the works of George Orwell. 1984 struck a cord with me, and described certain aspects of my life that other people could not understand.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

dyslexics rool"

Isnt it Dyslexics of the world untie ?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Just another reason I never got baptized...

You can find clips of BBC Television's live 1954 production on youtube here.

~Sue

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Thank you sd-7 for the time and effort you put into posting this for us.

As you say the likeness between the Party and Big Brother and the WTS is uncanny.

Due to the way my JW family has turned on me and is now shunning me these are the two quotes that stand out to me at the moment.

"....when the members of a family stood by one another without needing to know the reason."

and

"The family had become in effect an extension of the Thought Police. It was a device by means of which everyone could be surrounded night and day by informers who knew him intimately."

As many of us who have left JWs have found out the love shown to you even by your own family is very conditional. There is no standing by you no matter what. You are discarded like yesterdays trash even by your own parents or siblings and even worse your own children. And the second quote is so true, for in the JW world, family members are really spies of the organisation who are willing to turn in their own for the sake of 'the party'.

Hopscotch

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great stuff.

Bangalore

• BroMac
    BroMac

"Words, Mr Wordsworth!"

that is what i heard when my researched scriptural reasonings on a conscience matter (employment) were ignored by the BOE

• tornapart
    tornapart

Haven't read the book yet (I'm going to).. it's seriously scary! Even in my 'asleep' days I used to call the GB 'Big Brother' when I was feeling 'rebellious'. Love the bit.. 'they can make you say ANYTHING.. but they can't make you believe it'... that's hit home to me a lot just recently.

Thanks for all those quotes SD-7, that was a real good read! :)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I had to order The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by Heather and Gary Botting several years ago. It was a good read - very well written.

I love anything by George Orwell, thanks for the reminder, sd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit