Baby P dad converts in prison

by nelly136 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

  • nelly136

    Demonstration targets Low Newton Prison

    Sep 13 2009 by Phil Doherty, Sunday Sun

    SOFT sentences for child killers has sparked prison protest plans.

    Around 100 people are expected to turn up at the demonstration outside Low Newton Prison in County Durham, where notorious inmate Tracey Connelly has been caged for her part in the death of her son, Baby P.

    The protest – by the Abused Babies and Children (ABC) Foundation – was prompted by revelations Connelly, her boyfriend Steven Barker and his brother Jason Owen have launched appeal bids against their sentences.

    Peter Connelly, Baby P’s real name, died after suffering months of abuse.

    Haringey Social Services, doctors and the Metropolitan Police all failed to remove him from his mother’s care despite evidence he was being abused.

    Tracey was ordered to be held indefinitely – a minimum of five years – after pleading guilty to a charge of causing or allowing the death of a child or vulnerable person and was transferred to Low Newton Prison after receiving death threats in Styal’s Women’s prison, Cheshire.

    As it emerged Connelly had lodged an appeal, the ABC Foundation’s organiser Mandy Francis, 52, said: “We were disgusted with the sentences handed out to these killers and then they decided to add insult to injury by appealing against their sentences.

    “We want to help get Peter the justice he deserves and for the Government to realise that people are fed up with the paltry sentences handed out by the courts in cases like this. Life should mean life.”

    The ABC Foundation, who will stage their protest on October 4, are also furious Connelly, Barker and Owen could be given new identities for their protection.

    Barker, who was also convicted of raping a two-year-old girl, was jailed for life with a minimum of 10 years for the rape and a 12-year sentence for Peter’s death. Owen received an indefinite sentence with a minimum of three years.

    The Director of Haringey social services, Sharon Shoesmith, a social worker involved in the case and two other managers were sacked for failing Peter.


    Published: Today

    THE monstrous stepdad of Baby P has become a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS in jail.

    Sadistic brute Steven Barker, 33, keeps a bible in his cell and has told prison staff that he has "found God at last".

    Last night officers tasked with guarding the beast from attacks by fellow cons remained dubious about the motive for his sudden conversion.

    But a senior source at Wakefield prison in West Yorkshire insisted: "Barker is deadly serious about his new faith."

    Evil Barker was caged with twisted lover Tracey Connelly, 28, after she helped him torture to death her defenceless 17-month-old toddler Peter. Barker is also serving life for raping a girl of two. The source said: "A lot of officers feel his conversion is a cynical move to try to win them over because it makes him look like he's got a moral compass after all.

    "But the thought of seeing him on a doorstep clutching a copy of The Watchtower will chill anyone to the bone."

    The 6ft 4in maniac's new creed means he cannot smoke, get drunk - or read The Sun in case he sees a Page 3 girl. But his conversion has alarmed chiefs at the jail where Barker is a hate target for cons. Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to have blood transfusions.

    The source said: "His choice of religion may have very real security implications." Depraved Barker plans to lumber taxpayers with a whopping £500,000 bill by brazenly appealing against his sentence for causing or allowing Peter's agonising death in Haringey, North London.

    He got a minimum of 12 years, while the toddler's diabolical mum was jailed for at least five.

    His vile brother Jason Owen, 37 - who was lodging with the family - got three years for his part in the horror.

    Barker is also bidding to overturn his child-rape conviction.

    Last night a Prison Service spokeswoman said of him becoming a Jehovah's Witness: "We do not comment on individual cases."

    [email protected]

  • nelly136

    A short life of misery and pain

    By John Murphy
    BBC News

    Two men have been found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a 17-month-old boy. The child's mother had already admitted allowing or causing the child's death.

    The trial highlighted a catalogue of missed opportunities to save his life and the case has chilling echoes of the death of Victoria Climbie.

    On 2 August 2007 police announced they were dropping an investigation into allegations of child abuse they had launched the previous December.

    Baby P's mother was elated and told social workers she would go home to hug her son and bake cakes.

    The next morning he was dead.

    Baby P, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was pronounced dead shortly after midday on 3 August at the North Middlesex Hospital in Edmonton, north London.

    But it was already clear when an ambulance arrived at his Tottenham home 45 minutes earlier that he had been dead for some time.

    His mother described him in her 999 call as "blue, cold and stiff." In his short life he had suffered repeated - and unexplained - injuries.

    The post-mortem examination revealed Baby P had suffered:

    • Eight broken ribs and a broken back, with another area of bleeding around the spine at neck level.

    • Numerous bruises, cuts and abrasions, including a deep tear to his left ear lobe, which had been pulled away from his head.

    • Severe lacerations to the top of his head, including a large gouge which could have been caused by a dog bite.

    • Blackened finger- and toenails, with several nails missing; the middle finger of his right hand was without a nail and its tip was also missing, as if it had been sliced off.

    • A tear to his fraenulum, the strip of skin between the middle of the upper lip and the gum, which had partially healed.

    • One of his front teeth had also been knocked out and was found in his colon. He had swallowed it.

    The jury was not shown photographs of the child's actual injuries because it would be too upsetting but was shown computer generated images of his injuries.

    His mother, who is now 27, told her GP in September 2006 that her son "bruises easily" and she was worried she might be accused of hurting him.

    The following month she returned to see Dr Jerome Iqwueke and explained away bruises on the child, saying he had fallen down the stairs the day before.

    On 11 December 2006 Dr Iqwueke saw the child again and noticed more bruises, none of which the mother could adequately explain.

    He immediately referred Baby P to paediatric specialists at the Whittington Hospital, where doctors concluded the marks suggested non-accidental injury.

    Haringey social services were notified, Baby P was put on the child protection register and a police investigation began.

    Five days later he was released into the care of Angela Godfrey, a close friend of the mother.

    At the end of January 2007 social services decided to return Baby P to the family home.

    Dr Heather Mackinnon, the paediatric consultant in charge of Baby P's care at the Whittington, said she had been unable to attend various case conferences concerning him but had made her report available.

    'Systemic failure'

    She said she would not have supported returning the child to his family.

    She also said she did not receive the minutes of any of the meetings until after Baby P's death eight months later - something she described as "clearly a systemic failure".

    Dr Mackinnon said many of those involved in the case felt sorry for the mother and she said there was "a collective thinking that this was more likely to be neglect rather than deliberate injury - which was not my view".

    The police officer investigating the suspected abuse, Detective Constable Angela Slade, said she had also been opposed to Baby P returning to the family home because her investigation had not been completed.

    But she said she was told by social services the mother was working well with them and a delay in returning would affect the re-integration of the family.

    Social services had also been given assurances - which proved worthless - that the mother was living alone and there was no man in the house who could have inflicted the injuries.

    During the trial the mother admitted this was a lie.

    The court heard that her 32-year-old boyfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was frequently left in charge of Baby P and the first injuries coincided with his growing involvement in the household.

    Baby P was taken to hospital twice more, in April and June 2007, with unexplained cuts and bruises.

    The mother lied to social worker Maria Ward that she was away, which delayed a home visit for another six weeks.

    When Ms Ward saw Baby P for the last time, a few days before his death, she found him sitting in his buggy, with a sore ear, a gauze over his finger and chocolate smeared over his face and hands.

    Two prosecution witnesses claimed the mother and boyfriend had deliberately spread the chocolate on his face to hide bruises.

    Baby P's final two weeks of life were marked by an escalation of the violence against him.

    On 25 July Dr Iqwueke received a call from the mother, requesting his help to get social services "off her back".

    When she brought the child in the following day the doctor noticed he was "withdrawn" and avoided contact.

    'Miserable and cranky'

    The prosecution claimed the child's back and ribs would have been broken before 1 August, when his mother took him to a child development clinic at St Ann's Hospital where he was seen by Dr Sabah Al-Zayyat.

    In a police interview Dr Al-Zayyat said she had been unable to carry out a full physical examination because he was "miserable and cranky".

    But in court she said Baby P only cried for a minute or so before she began her physical examination and he was in the room with her for over an hour.

    Asked why she apparently changed her evidence she replied that the police had not asked her the right question at the time.

    Dr Al-Zayyat denied his back could have been broken when she saw him.

    It emerged during the trial that the mother had been placed on a parenting course, had been given stair gates, a fireplace guard and, even, shortly before his death, an offer of a seaside holiday.

  • nelly136

    and when they come out they will be given new identities and round the clock surveilance for their safety!

  • Gadget

    I'm off work this week or I would have seen the demonstration, I drive past Low Newton prison every day to get to work.

    If its true that Barker has converted in prison does that mean that somebody preached to him while inside? And if he starts preaching while inside the only people available for him to do so will be others who are in for similar offences to his own... Assuming that jws are one of the only groups inside prison that requires its members to actively seek to recruit others, could this eventually give a disproportionate amount of people like Barker becoming JWs when they are eventually released?

  • Sad emo
    Sad emo

    JW eh?

    But a senior source at Wakefield prison in West Yorkshire insisted: "Barker is deadly serious about his new faith."

    Easy test - let the other prisoners get to him just long enough to cause him some injury and see if he'll accept a blood transfusion when he gets to the hospital!

  • ninja

    kick him in the balls....if he says...."oh christ" .....he's not a witnoid.....if he says "jehovah".....kick him in the balls again

  • Rabbit

    "Barker is deadly serious about his new faith."

    Uh-h...yeah...that's um-m...comforting. The 'Church Lady' would say, "Well, isn't that special!"

  • looloo

    i wonder if the guy who raped my daughter was in the same prison as him , despite being disfellowshipped and a child rapist he was very good at "preaching the good news" to anyone who would listen bastard hypocrite ! hes not been keeping very "good associations " latley ! they should never be let out , monsters !

  • cantleave

    God what people do to shorten their sentences. If he is serious about his new found faith he should be feel comfortable with the idea that he spend the rest of his sentence in Jail. He should be grateful because if he was under Isrealite law he would be dead now, stoned to death, but even that would be too good for him. This guy is unrepentant, sadistic, remorseless, and deserves to rot in Jail for the rest of his life.

  • God_Delusion

    He's become a JW? That sounds about right.

Share this