JW Bosses

by Liberated 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Liberated
    Liberated

Do they close up shop for the holidays?

As jw's we didn't mind having the day off and, judging from the holidays I was out in service as a new jw, most did not use that day to knock on doors.

But what if your boss is a jw and so are the employees, do they get the holiday off? And go out in field service? Or do they stay open and view it as just another day?

Libby

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I hated doing any sort of work for JWs. In general, they were cheap and would take advantage of their employees that were Witnesses. I find that if the business is successful, they tend to operate in a 'dirty' and often underhanded way to be successful. (Don't want to over-generalize, some JW businesses are fine but my experience with them has not been a good one)

For most businesses, it doesn't make sense to open on a holiday, and sometimes it is illegal. I'd think most JW bosses would give their employees the day off out of practicality or necessity. I never did holiday Witnessing and most I knew didn't. The expression that was used was something to the effect that " we are letting them have their day" (usually with reference to Christmas).

Path

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, if we use Bethel as the example, they just plow ahead as if it were any other day, because to them, it is. All operations are in full swing, although tours are usually heavy because of all the rank & file JW's who have the day off and come for the tour.

As far as private businesses run by JW's, I would think it would depend upon the nature of their business. If you have a retail operation, it probably wouldn't make sense to operate on Christmas, because nobody is out shopping on that day. On the other hand, if you run, say, a gas station or convenience store, it could certainly be business as usual.

When I was a JW working for a 'worldly' company, I used to take some ribbing, since people would say, "Hey, you don't believe in the holidays, you shouldn't take the day off!" I would usually respond that I'd be glad to work on this holiday, as well as the seven others we are closed for. But I'm not going to work eight days more than everyone else for the same money as they make, so you'll just have to give me an extra eight days off in the summer when I go on vacation. That usually shut down the topic very nicely.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Right, Path. I think JW bosses would just give the day off. It would just be a holiday. Only makes sense.

I agree what you said about JW businessmen...they are the worst around. Ruthless, uncaring, and abusive. Don't treat their workers with respect and take advantage of the fact that they are brothers...seen that one happen before.

ashi

• Liberated
    Liberated

----------------------------
    "JW businessmen...they are the worst around. Ruthless, uncaring, and abusive. Don't treat their workers with respect..."
    ----------------------------

I think my bosses must be jw's!!

Libby

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I know you're being funny, but my father-in-law is the perfect example. I've had friends who've been taken in and threatened worse with their job by "brothers" than with "worldly people".

And yes, many 'worldly people' do the same....but Witnesses always comment on their universal brotherhood, and their business practices prove differently.

ashi

• DB
    DB

I know of a couple of JW Bosses myself, and I would not want to work for them. Some other Jws who did had complaints about them. And yes, I think that they do at times take advantage of their fellow jws.

I have another take on this, and that has to do with doing business with jws. For example, I had some work at home that I needed to hire out for. I contacted to jw friends who are in that line of work, and they put me off and put me off and never even came to give me estimates. Finally, I contacted a "worldly" contractor, and the estimate was given within a dew days and the work was done on schedule.

I will not do business with jws for that reason, and I tell my jw friends that the brothers that I have tried to hire have proven unreliable. I honestly think that they take advantage of their own brothers, thinking that they can put them off almost indefinitley and that their brothers will understand. Well, quite frankly, I got fed up with that.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I'm a/was a JW BOSS!! I still have JWs wanting me to hire them! I have "mixed them up a bit" some DA, DF and active!! It is fun here! When one places a WT on a desk, I place the Franz book right next to the WT!! The Elders are going nuts...................

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That's funny ThiChi. Keep us posted how this all comes out. It will be interesting to see how they treat you, since you have some witnesses by the pocketbook.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

SixofNine: you hit it right on the head!! It’s the money that keeps them in line. I DA myself about a year ago. However, when I had an opening in my Division, I got a call from several Witnesses asking for my help to get in!! It was now acceptable to call them and meet them!!

At first, it made me mad. But why be like them? So, on my staff, I have three active witnesses (two very weak, however, playing the football pool, lottery pool, etc., I won’t tell, hehe) one inactive witness and I just hired one DF witness. It is a blast to interact with all, and I hear all the latest at the Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit