The name of the Father is "Jesus".

by Chalam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

You Wrote:

"Other than the bible, can anyone show me compelling evidence that Jesus Christ ever existed? I can prove that he didn't, so over to you Christians."

REPLY: It's not meant to be "proven." By faith you are saved. You might as well ask us to prove the resurrection of the dead.

JD II

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So it seems that different translations used different texts to get to their version of John 17:11, is that correct?

Footnotes mention the NU and the M text as reading "keep them through your name which you have given me".

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

PS: exactly; see my second post on page 1.

(I have no idea what "NU" and "M" stand for in the Bible you are using; you must have a list of abbreviations somewhere).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Narkissos,

The NU and M are from the blueletterbible website.

This also has shades of John 1:18 where some manuscripts read "Only son", "only begotten son", "only begotten God","only one, who is God", and so forth.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Not to change the topic, but your examples from John 1:18 nicely illustrate how a textual problem combines with an interpretive problem in translation.

The difference between "Son" and "God" is textual: some mss read theos and others read huios (or nothing).

The difference between "only" and "only-begotten" is interpretive: the mss agree on monogenès but the exegetes/translators differ on the exact meaning of the word.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

narkissos,

Agreed, of course this was probably a moot point for the writers and readers to which these things were addressed.

• sacolton
    sacolton

There is only ONE GOD that can be:

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Savior

Light

Rock

Father

Alpha

Omega

Life

Truth

Way

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Sac

Why do you have "Father" and no Son or Spirit?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Perhaps already dealt with: But are we really dealing with "name" as in "apellation" rather than "reputation"?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Because there is scriptures in both OT and NT that show YHWH and JESUS having all those qualities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit