The name of the Father is "Jesus".

by Chalam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

I am sure the title of this thread will be a little contentious with some, certainly any active JWs but here goes, read the biblical text for yourself.

John 17:11-12 (New International Version)

11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

So the name given to Jesus was the Father's ("the power of your name-the name you gave me").

The origins of Jesus' name concur:

3091. Yehoshua or Yehoshua

"the LORD is salvation," Moses' successor, also the name of a number of Isr.

Original Word: ???????????? Transliteration: Yehoshua or Yehoshua Phonetic Spelling: (yeh-ho-shoo'-ah) Short Definition: Jehoshua

Word Origin from Yhvh and yasha Definition "the LORD is salvation," Moses' successor, also the name of a number of Isr. NASB Word Usage Jeshua (28), Joshua (219).

All the best,

Stephen

• minimus
    minimus

nope. The Son's name is Jesus....unless the Father & Son are the same....Hmmm.

I prefer to call the Father "Christ".

• Chalam
    Chalam

I prefer to call the Father "Christ".

Good, you are a bible scholar

Isaiah 9:6 (New International Version)

6 For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
    And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

All the best, Stephen

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

King James says at John 17:11"And now I am no more in the world,but THESE are in the world,and I come to thee. Holy Father,keep through thine own name THOSE whom thou hast given me, that THEY may be one as we are. If you read verse 6, "THESE and THOSE" are the men that JESUS's Father has given him.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The name "Jesus" -- which was no longer strictly theophoric in its post-exilic form yshw` on which the Greek Ièsous is based, contrary to the oldest form yhwsh(w)` -- was quite widespread in the first century, and certainly not distinctive of Jesus Christ. There is definitely more to 'the Father's name given to the Son' (cf. Exodus 23) than just this pretty common personal name.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Always, I checked a few version before posting, looks like most biblical scholars agree on "your name—the name you gave me"

NIV©I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one.
    NAS©"I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.
    ISV©I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by your name, the name that you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one.
    GWT©I won't be in the world much longer, but they are in the world, and I'm coming back to you. Holy Father, keep them safe by the power of your name, the name that you gave me, so that their unity may be like ours.
    KJVAnd now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
    AKJAnd now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to you. Holy Father, keep through your own name those whom you have given me, that they may be one, as we are.
    ASVAnd I am no more in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are .
    BBEAnd now I will be no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I come to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name which you have given to me, so that they may be one even as we are one.
    DRBAnd now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are.
    DBYAnd I am no longer in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name which thou hast given me, that they may be one as we.
    ERVAnd I am no more in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
    WBSAnd now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thy own name those whom thou hast given to me, that they may be one, as we are.
    WEYI am now no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to Thee. "Holy Father, keep them true to Thy name--the name which Thou hast given me to bear--that they may be one, even as we are.
    WEBI am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
    YLTand no more am I in the world, and these are in the world, and I come unto Thee. Holy Father, keep them in Thy name, whom Thou hast given to me, that they may be one as we;
  • Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Chalam, "that THEY be one as We are one." If you mean that to prove God and Jesus are one person then "THEY"(men) would have to mean we would all have to become 1 person so only 3 persons here. I think Jesus meant, his followers would be united in the same thought and deeds. I am no longer a JW but I do believe God and Jesus are 2 different persons. Watchtower Society is a fraud. They have more lies than the truth.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nope,

the Father isn't Jesus

and the Father isn't Christ/Messiah/anointed either! The Father is the one who appointed Jesus the Son as Christ/Messiah/anointed.

Check this out Chalam: http://www.carm.org/apologetics/heresies/modalism

When trying to refute the Trinity doctrine, the most common misunderstanding of JWs is that Trinitarian Christians believe that Jesus and the Father are the same.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Chalam

I'm a trinitarian, but, I think you're streching it a little

Joh 17:9 I pray concerning them; I do not pray concerning the world, but concerning the ones whom You gave to Me, because they are Yours. 10 And all My things are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them. 11 And no longer am I in the world, yet these are in the world; and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, those whom You gave to Me, that they may be one as We are. ESV

Joh 17:11

And now I am in the world no longer, but these are in the world, and I come to You, Holy Father. Keep them in Your name, those whom You have given Me, so that they may be one as We are. MKJV

And I am no more in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are. ASV

And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thy own name those whom thou hast given to me, that they may be one, as we are. Webster

And no longer am I in the world, yet these are in the world; and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, those whom You gave to Me, that they may be one as We are. Lit V

There are more.

• Chalam
    Chalam

If you mean that to prove God and Jesus are one person

No, one God, two persons. The same oneness of the Father and Son is shown here, equality of Divinity, not God and "a god".

Mark 12:30,32 (New International Version)

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'

32 "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

John 5:22-23 (New International Version)

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

Revelation 7:15-17 (New International Version)

And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore,
    "they are before the throne of God
    and serve him day and night in his temple;
    and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them.
    16 Never again will they hunger;
    never again will they thirst.
    The sun will not beat upon them,
    nor any scorching heat.
    17 For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd;
    he will lead them to springs of living water.
    And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit