No need for science, just read the Watchtower

by jabberwock 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The man may have had his tongue in his cheek at that meeting, I do not know, but the attitude as summed up by the title of this thread certainly prevails among J W's..It no doubt contributes to their dislike of higher education

WT 08 4/15 p6

. Should such proud statements concern us? Of course not! Human wisdom differs from divine wisdom. (1 Cor. 2:6, 7) However, we know that when human teachings contradict what God has revealed, it is always the human teachings that are wrong. (Read Romans 3:4.) Despite the progress of science in some fields, the Bible’s assessment of human wisdom remains true: “The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.” Compared with the infinite wisdom of God, human reasoning is futile.—1 Cor. 3:18-20.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

“I agree that these are important questions,” I answered. “However, Jehovah’s Witnesses come to my door on Saturday mornings and offer a magazine on a 25-cent donation that will answer the same questions. And I’m not sure that their 25-cent answer isn’t better than the six-billion-dollar answers we might get from this project.”
    Everyone in the room roared with laughter, including the Nobel laureates. Even though the legislature granted funding to pursue the project, no one refuted my point.

The guy can`t tell he`s not being taken seriously..

The WBT$ will take any advertising they can get..

Jehovah`s Witness`s will repeat the joke and not understand they are being laughed at..

Hammer Head Another day in Watchtower World.. Hammer Head

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Reading the Awake magazine is as good as a college education.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Reading the Awake magazine is as good as a college education.

And, here is the deal: It is now so good that you only have to read one ONCE a month instead of every two weeks like before.

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Being a witness has proved to me that the WBT$ have no interest in science unless it can, in a indirect way, support its truths/doctrines.

I can't believe that they still subscribe to the canopy idea. And the brothers and sisters still use this idea when talking to others because they haven't been told otherwise by the WBT$.

That, in itself, proves to me that they aren't interested in science.

Just to prove my point, when you last watched a documentary about our brilliant planet, did you hear the presenter mentioning anything about a canopy that covered the entire earth around 6,000 years ago?

• JWoods
    JWoods

I am not sure, but it was always my impression that the witnesses themselves did not actually even make up the "water canopy" theory on their own...I am pretty sure I have read it in other fundy literature.

Must have made for a pretty dreary Garden of Eden, I always thought.

• alanv
    alanv

My father in law was a well respected elder and would often talk about what he had read in the Awake. But the moment you tried to speak about something the Awake had not covered he could not think of anything to say. The man in this case read only the Awake and thought this would answer every question that he might be asked

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Jehovah's Witnesses are interesed in scientific disveries, IF the discoveries happen to support their pre-conceived notions. Just like they're interested in truth, IF it fits in with what they have already DECIDED qualifies as 'truth'.

It makes me nauseous that a person can earn a Ph.D and still have no ability for critical thinking, and then actually have a say in decisions that have the potential to affect millions of people. I can't believe that those words came from an actual working scientist. I understand the value of science better than he does... and I'm a layperson.

Thank you for posting that. I'm sad now.

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

The article does not actually say that he was a scientist. In fact, it seems that he may have actually been an economist working for the state and that the committee was asking for his opinion of the worth of the project from an economic standpoint. Sorry, if I confused anyone in my original post.

He does describe his wife as having a "mathematical mind" and the article does mention that she gave up teaching at a university to pioneer.

Some have mentioned that they think his comment was a joke or that it was tongue in cheek. It certainly is possible, but I seriously doubt it. And he does say "no one refuted my point".

His experience also contains a lot of references to his efforts to find flaws in Bible prophecy and the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses. What do you think he found?

As I studied the Bible with the Witnesses, what impressed me most was Bible prophecy [describes some of Daniel's prophecies]...Through personal research in reference works, I established for myself that these books of the Bible were in fact written before the events they foretold.

Reference works? Probably, the Insight book or some other WTBTS publication.

A new budget analyst at the LAO turned out to be a Witness who was no longer actively practicing what she believed. Doubts about the Bible had weakened her faith. I had the joy of helping her spiritually.

I'm sure he shared some of his previous "personal research in reference works" and then her doubts just evaporated.

"I honestly feel that education from Jehovah is the most rewarding of all my higher education. It is unlike any other educational program on earth in its breadth and comprehensiveness."

I like how education from Jehovah is higher education. And emphasizing its breadth and comprehensiveness sounds like a fancier way of saying, "Reading the Awake! magazine is equivalent to a college education,". By the way, I seem to remember hearing that the same thing was said of the Photo-Drama of Creation in its day.

To me an article like this is trying to tell your average Witness, "Don't be troubled by your doubts, just ignore them. Smart people who went to college tried to prove us wrong and did the research just to find that we were right all along."

• VM44
    VM44

Both Rudolph Stuart Marshall and his wife Patricia received Ph.Ds from Stanford's Department of Education.

Neither is a scientist.

Here are the details

Author: , Patricia McGinn Marshall.
    Title: Homework and social facilitation theory in teaching elementary school mathematics,
    Thesis (Ph. D.)--Stanford University, 1983.

Author: Rudolph S. Marshall, Jr.
    Title: The human capital loss to the Navajo tribe due to nonfulfillment of the
    June 1, 1868 treaty between the Navajo tribe and the United States of America

Note: Thesis (Ph. D.)--Stanford University, 1981.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit