No need for science, just read the Watchtower

by jabberwock 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

I often hear scientists and others complain that some religious people are satisfied with "God did it" as an explanation for everything and are uninterested in what science has to say.

I never felt this way as a Witness; I always felt that Witnesses were very interested in scientific discoveries.

Apparently, I was wrong.

R.Stuart Marshall is a Witness with a doctorate from Stanford whose life story appeared in the wt 08 12/01. Consider this telling anecdote from that article:

The University of California wanted funds to compete with other states to win a six-billion-dollar federal project. The project was to build a superconducting supercollider for research on subatomic particles. I had recommended against the funding, stating that in the long run, it would provide little for the state economy. The university countered by bringing in two Nobel laureates in physics to testify before the legislature. Each of them described the knowledge that the project could provide. One said that it could answer questions on the origin of the universe. The other said that it could shed light on the beginning of life on our planet.
    The chairman of the committee turned to me.
    “Do you think six billion dollars is too much to pay for answers to these questions?” he asked.
    “I agree that these are important questions,” I answered. “However, Jehovah’s Witnesses come to my door on Saturday mornings and offer a magazine on a 25-cent donation that will answer the same questions. And I’m not sure that their 25-cent answer isn’t better than the six-billion-dollar answers we might get from this project.”
    Everyone in the room roared with laughter, including the Nobel laureates. Even though the legislature granted funding to pursue the project, no one refuted my point.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

But for the balance of it, it WAS meant as a funny anecdote, and he - as far as I recall - both before and after carried out his scientific work, so he did not quite subscribe to the attitude you mention in the beginning of your message. Just to place myself in the picture, I never understood the attitude of NOT being interested in getting to the bottom of a problem or subject, although one at the same time subscribes to the idea that God did it. It still is interesting to try to sort of how and why and when.

• Farkel
    Farkel

His reasoning was impeccable: super-colliders don't sell books.

Farkel

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm rather surprised this guy is still employed as a scientist. Wouldn't you be suspect of any of his output after a comment like that?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I always felt that Witnesses were very interested in scientific discoveries.

In my experience, this is only true (somewhat) if it appears in the Awake or in some other WTBS literature. Since most of them don't even read their own literature, they'll tell you that you shouldn't focus on such things until you show them you read it in their literature. Even then a number will say science is not important...just go to the KH and preach.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you for posting this.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses have been wrong on so many other scientific issues that I would rather spend the $6 billion to find out for sure than trust the Asleep! rag.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I suppose he also still believes in a total coverage "cloud cover" before the flood, and that this would have not only had enough water to flood the earth, but also have had a "protective effect from cosmic rays" and a general "warming effect" for overall earth climate?

Stupid in the extreme. Just read a book that refutes all this, and I am posting a thread on it.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I suppose he also still believes in a total coverage "cloud cover" before the flood, and that this would have not only had enough water to flood the earth, but also have had a "protective effect from cosmic rays" and a general "warming effect" for overall earth climate?

Stupid in the extreme. Just read a book that refutes all this, and I am posting a thread on it.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Everyone in the room thought he was joking for saying such a retarded thing. They probably couldn't imagine he was actually serious. Judging by his apparent sarcasm, they assumed they were all in agreement and granted the funding. How does this not make the dubs look like a pack of idiots?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit