What are the “fruits” that we are supposed to recognize?

by bluecanary 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Had I known this subject would be taken so out of context, I would have clarified more in my OP. My intent here was not to figure out what the Bible really means by these texts. Which is not to say that discussion to that end is unwelcome and I thank everyone for their posts here. My intent was to use the JW's own criteria to determine whether they have the truth.

In Captives of a Concept, Don Cameron argues that the Witnesses cannot have the truth by examining what they were teaching in 1919. Does that mean he believes that Jesus inspected the world's religions in order to choose one in 1919? No. But the witnesses do, and he uses this to show the contradiction between their teachings, thereby proving them false. That was my intention here, albeit from a different angle.

• RR
    RR
    "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."-John 13:35 The most important identifying factors for "true" religion hinge on how persons follow these commands. Individual "imperfection" is irrelevant. Choice in doctrines is secondary, to be considered only after first determining whether the religion follows the law of love.

While love is a identifying mark, I would think that TRUTH itself is also a mark. Love itself proves nothing, as there are plenty of non-Christian religions that teach the concept of "perfect" love. As the Lord said in John 17:17 "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." So Truth sanctifies us, it determines who we are and what we are. So knowledge of the Truth is important. ALthough not the perverted knowledge that the JW are fed, as their Truth is not stagnant, it's ever changing and how can one ever learn about God and Christ, if they keep changing what God and Christ said and meant?

RR

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What are the “fruits” that we are supposed to recognize?

There were a couple of fruits in the Governing Body not that long ago. Probably still are.

Farkel

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

we've got fruitcake going over here

• Heaven
    Heaven

the fruitage the gospels say to look for as to being Christian does not belong to JW's.

ATJ, so true. They aren't Christians... they're Jehovans. I don't even know why they bother with Christ other than he's in the Bible and they HAVE to. I guess it was too hard for them to write him out of the NWT.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

To me at first, the WTBTS looked like a nice big juicey Apple, first bite tasted sweet, second bite was just as good, but on the third bite I copped a mouth full of dirty maggots mabey i should have gone for the lollie pop I found in the gutter, washed the dirt off and had that instead of what seemed like a healther alternative!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi BC,

These verses say it all-gotta be in my all time top ten chapters of the whole bible :)

1 Corinthians 13 (New International Version)

1 Corinthians 13
    Love
    1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

All the best, Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello and welcome aboard Phillip :)

I don't see anything upbuilding or Holy, do you?

I assume my post of 1 Corinthians 13 just prior to yours does not qualify?!

Here is a verse to consider

Titus 1:15 (New International Version)

15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

All the best, Stephen

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Another JW completely ignores my valid question. What a surprise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit