I Am A Servant Of The Most High God Jehovah!

by Englishman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Back in the 70's, that particularly self-congratulatory phrase became fashionable fair here in the UK. I remember my dear old Dad trotting this out when Her Ladyship and I got married in '73.

Talk about a bucket of cold water! A real 'Spectre at the feast' comment if ever there was one! There we were, all enjoying our wine and sumptuous dinner, waiting for the speeches. I gave mine, father in law said what a stout fellow I was, when un-prompted, up stood Pop's to deliver the standard dub intro, I Am A Servant Of The Most High God Jehovah. I cringed with embarrasment, HL's family wondered what bunch of nutters their daughter was marrying into. The other guests just mumbled into their sherries and wished that he'd be quiet. Thanks, Dad.

Now this phrase was used at every opportunity possible, back then, with 1975 looming close the message was one of offence more than anything else, so the deadly phrase was given out to all and sundry. For some reason, it always reminded me of Monty Pythons 'Deadliest joke in the World' sketch. Probably the inherent lunacy.

This also gives some insight into the mind-set of JW's in general, and does explain why people find them so objectional, and also shows why the name Jehovah is so unpopular. Imagine being confronted by some stranger who immediately takes the moral highground and announces I Am A Servant Of The Most High God Jehovah! Is this opening gambit likely to endear this Most High God to Mr. Joe Public? I should say not!

The general public also found the phrase confusing. Most folk, even the non-religious, think that God is God is God. So when Mr. Dub called at the door and spoke about The Most High God, they wanted to know what other gods were there that they hadn't been told about, what you on abaht Mate, you into devil-worship or summfink?

I didn't come across the phrase again for many years, until one day I got into a head-to-head with an obstreperous dub who was going to show this jumped up apostate little turd (me) a thing or two. Suddenly, the awful phrase rolled out and I was transported back to the dreadful wedding speech that I had endured all those years before.

I replied: "Really? So He's told you to talk to me then, has he?" He spluttered a bit and then made a hasty exit. But what a stupid, stupid way to introduce yourself to anyone!

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You are correct, Englishman. The JW mind set is that you are Daniel, ready to be tossed in the lions den, you are the three Hebrews, ready to be cast into the fire by this old “world.” I remember at school when I was singled out to explain why I did not salute the flag, man, it was me against the world. Very sad.................

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Englishman,
    I was born in January 1976, so if I may ask you a question. When you married in 1973, did you ever think, my marriage could only last two years? Or did you already know the 1975 thing was a hoax, and completely disregarded it?

The reason I ask, is my dad once told me he althought never a JW, thought during 1975 when my mom was pregnant with me he would never see me born. Thanks in advance for your reply.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• Englishman
    Englishman

Jayhawk,

I left in '72. I'm quite proud that I had the courage to leave then!

Englishman.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Englishman,
    No doubt it did take a lot of courage to leave in 1972, just a mere three years before the Armageddon Hoax. I just had to ask, so I hope you did not mind answering me.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• Scully
    Scully

The looming of 1975 made a lot of JWs do a lot of stupid things

My husband was "brought into The Truth™" in 1982 by a JW who had quit his job and sold his family's home ten years earlier, just 3 years short of achieving a full pension, so that he could 'serve where the need was great'. He had to work a building superintendent until he turned 75 so that he and his wife could have a place to live. He was too old to get another job, and had to keep doing janitorial work until he passed away in 1997.

I knew someone who was so convinced that she was going to be destroyed at Armageddon in 1975, that she decided to get married so she would know what it was like to have sex. I asked her, if she was that bad that she was planning on being destroyed, why not just go out and have sex without dragging some poor schlepp into it... she said she wanted to have a nice wedding to go along with it.

There were a group of brothers in the congregation where I grew up who built homes that were beyond their means, thinking that once Armageddon came in 1975, they would have a lovely new home to live in, but no mortgage. They really thought they were clever, until 1975 came along... and went....

<sigh> the nostalgia of it all....

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Englishman
    Englishman

Scully,

There were a group of brothers in the congregation where I grew up who built homes that were beyond their means, thinking that once Armageddon came in 1975, they would have a lovely new home to live in, but no mortgage. They really thought they were clever, until 1975 came along... and went....
    A lot of that went on. I remember opting for a 35 year mortgage instead of the usual 20 as I would never have to pay it. Ha! Then these people have the effrontery to insult as apostates. I call it once bitten twice shy, Ah well....

Englishman.

Englishman.

• xjw
    xjw
    The JW mind set is that you are Daniel, ready to be tossed in the lions den, you are the three Hebrews, ready to be cast into the fire by this old “world.”

Sad, but true. The whole Jehovah's Witness religion is based on the martyr mentality. Ooooh poor us, we're being persecuted! Boo hoo! If the JW's weren't fighting anyone, they wouldn't be JW's. This whole thing about standing up and proclaiming that you are a servant of the most high god in order to provoke people is just another example of how the JW's THRIVE on persecution.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

It's actually kind of funny. I can see you in your seventies suit, a red faced man shouting those words....actually kind of hilarious. I've also seen bizzarre things like this, and 'nutter' is the only word that comes to my mind.

ashi

• ISP
    ISP

Haha! XJW! So true....when they are not fighting others....they fight among themselves...the 'enemy within' mentality.

I remember the Service Overseer saying he only expected 1/2 of JWs to get through Armaggeddon as there were many not 'exerting themselves'!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit