When did a lightbulb first go off in your head that something didn't seem right???

by cognac 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

So many of them. But 3 major ones stood out to me: discouragement of higher education, Sept. KM about the need to avoid independent research material (WTF?) and the callous, cliquish, fluff mentality of your average Jdub in KH fashion.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Having to shun my drug addicted, half homeless brother, and being congratulated for it. That was during my "high twit" days....

9/11, realizing I was watching a microchasm of the JW hopes of Armageddon. I was disgusted.

Gilead, and realizing that this was an Old Testament cult that applied bible characters prophectically to the 20th century JW hiearchy of the Presidents and Governing Body.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

And while I generally learned to live with the "generation" light on, I couldn't ignore the flashing lights and sirens that went off around 2005.

One was that I was bumped out of going to Katrina relief the winter after the storm- there wasn't room on the JW bus for me, but there was room for the RBC member's wife and kids. I had Hurricane Hugo and Andrew experience. The wife and kids helped with the picnic.

Another was while sitting at the DC and a Governing Body member spoke. I didn't even recognize the name, yet week-after-week, I stood on the platform or knocked on doors promoting the doctrines of these men from Brooklyn.

Even another one was at the Elders school around that time when they reminded us that elders could have been involved in WT-defined sins a few years back (which literally meant "3" years but they didn't want to say) but their continued service as elders would make the whole thing go away without restrictions or nothing. Members who are not elders don't get such a chance. It just encouraged elders to hold their secret for 3 years and then only come forward if their conscience bothered them.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

My ex-wife helped me to really think about it as she mirrored the JW attitude of "nothing is good enough". I had that reinforced by the Elders telling me I don't "reach out" enough...I had no desire to be an Elder. I was always being counseled on my hours, meeting attendance, etc. I finally thought to myself that this was all about what I did rather than what I believed. After I split up with my wife and was DF'ed for 10 years, I wanted to get a "fresh statrt" and examine the faith to see if I was going to go back. Reading Freeminds website, JW Facts website and particularly C of C led me to the conclusion that I wasn't going back.

• cognac
    cognac
    Even another one was at the Elders school around that time when they reminded us that elders could have been involved in WT-defined sins a few years back (which literally meant "3" years but they didn't want to say) but their continued service as elders would make the whole thing go away without restrictions or nothing. Members who are not elders don't get such a chance. It just encouraged elders to hold their secret for 3 years and then only come forward if their conscience bothered them.

- Is this written anywhere?

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

When I was studying actually. I just figured Jehovah would clear it up for me eventually. It wa sthe spirit appointment of elders. I understood that the holy spirit didnt actually light a fire above the guys head to show approval or anything...but we were supposed to act like thats how sure the appointment was. "What if" I thought "one was appointed and it was later discovered that, at the time of said appointment, he was a wife beater or a child abuser? What about the guys who were appointed in Communist countries who spent years working up to eldership just to infiltrate the congregations?" It didnt make a damn bit of sense to me. Then, over the years, there were just sooooooooo many more.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

YES - I believe off the top of my head its in the October 1972 (The Artist formally known as) Our Kingdom Service.

I remember sitting in that school and getting angry.

That was a HUGE turning point for me. Do we have a clergy class now? I can go out, have a fling on the side, wait 3 years and then come and "confess" my sin????? Meanwhile, people who have been victims of child abuse and other horrible things go out and have sex with people because they have no self-esteem, then come to the elders, feel like CRAP and sub-humans, can barely look you in the eye and are promply disfellowshipped.

I attended the DC on Sunday this year to support my wife, and the drama was about the prodigal son. I wanted to VOMIT - it was total BS since that loving illustration is RARELY demonstrated in real-life JW Congregations.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Its from an early 70's Questions From Readers. I don't have WT Library installed on my new computer, and am thinking I may keep it that way... If someone else wants to look for it, just search disfellowshipping and questions from readers, and it should be there.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

blood fractions, and the bloodguilt i think they have on their hands about organ transplants

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit