EVER FIGHT AN INSURANCE COMPANY??

by Mary 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I emailed my old boss last night as he was a lawyer who helped people who had been in car accidents or bitten by a dog, etc., get the $$$ they were entitled to

NOT, NOT, NOT the lawyer you want. Mary, you absolutely must get a lawyer; however, you need one that specializes in disability insurance.

Until such time as you obtain representation, you can take preliminary steps. You can ask the insurance company the following: What medical basis do you have for discontinuing my sister payments? Which physician has said my sister can work? It appears that your sister has a preponderance of medical evidence on her side. This should keep her payments going for a while...long enough to get an attorney.

But prepared, they will OBTAIN medical evidence to support their contention that your sister is able to work (ATW) by sending her to an independent medical exam (IME) with one of their doctors. Usually, the terms of the contract state that she must attend to exam or they can discontinue payments.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    My advice, for what it is worth, is to get an attorney that specializes in disability cases. Let them handle this, especially since this is likely to go to Long-Term Disability. Girl, you may be a bulldog who doesn't let go, but this isnot what you do for a living. In your well meaning efforts to bulldoze through the insurance company, you risk pissing off the wrong person off and having them enter a code into a field in the computer in such a way that the claims will be denied over and over. Let the lawyer send letters on your sister's behalf. Often, a letter on an attorney's letterhead (written by a paralegal) is all it takes to get the insurance company to roll over.

Agreed 1,000,000%.

Insurance companies will not take you seriously unless you get a lawyer (which puts to lie their whining about litigation costs). They demand you have an attorney before taking you seriously.

But make sure your attorney specializes in disability cases. If they are, they know the routine and know which buttons to push to get the evil machinery working.

I've been there before and it is no fun. We've fought insurance companies before, and won, just make sure you do it the right way or it will cost you a helluva lot monetarily and emotionally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit