Adam Naming the Animals ... Did It Take THAT Long ???

by RubaDub 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The Bible speaks about Adam naming the animals in the Garden of Eden.

Any thoughts about how long that would have taken ???

I mean, you have Steve and Betty the Sheep, Mike and Nancy the Dogs, Miguel and Maria the Zebras, Irv and Amanda the Cats, etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't seem like it would take a long period of time. Plus, he was alone at the time so he wasn't getting pestered from his wife and kids about what the names should be. Whatever he decided, that was it.

Any thoughts ?

Rub a Dub

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Any thoughts ?

Yeah. Why did Adam give them all Latin names?

Farkel

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

rubadub check out verses 18 & 19

Genesis 2:18-19 (The Message)

18-20 God said, "It's not good for the Man to be alone; I'll make him a helper, a companion." So God formed from the dirt of the ground all the animals of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the Man to see what he would name them. Whatever the Man called each living creature, that was its name. The Man named the cattle, named the birds of the air, named the wild animals; but he didn't find a suitable companion.

The Message (MSG)

Also according to the NWT

verse 19 says Jehovah... began bringing them to the man

I think the Hebrew word translated began denotes much time ...

hope this helps

• sir82
    sir82

JW old-timers & hardliners still believe that Armagedon will strike exactly 6000 years after the creation of Eve.

By that reckoning and the WT's chronology, it took Adam 34 years (and counting) to name all the animals.

Hmm, apparently he got a bit bogged down in coming up with names for the 10's of thousands of species of beetle.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not to mention all the bacteria.

OK - taking it back for the lurkers - bacteria are somewhere between plants and animals.

Not to mention all the planaria.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I think the Hebrew word translated began denotes much time ...

Yes Quietlyleaving ...

When you look at it that way, maybe it was just a matter of spreading the process over a number of years.

Perhaps only 45 minutes a day was spent naming animals, like 11:00 to 11:45 or something. That way, he would have plenty of time to take care of the other jobs like mowing the grass, trimming the hedges, weeding the garden, etc.

Rub a Dub

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I thought you might agree rubadub but I have to tell you, unfortunately, no other bible translation uses the term began (I've just checked) so I think this word is an interpolation. I can't think what the NWT hopes to achieve unless as you say, they do want to leave the way open for an antitypical/ typical fulfillment re spiritual activity mowing, trimming and weeding etc in the field ministry

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I was told by a jewish buddy of mine that they typcially view that passage as Adam (MAN) named the animals as to what they were ie: Birds were named Birds, Dogs dogs, fish fish, etc , etc, he didn't name the individul types per say, just a generic label.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I can't think what the NWT hopes to achieve unless as you say, they do want to leave the way open for an antitypical/ typical fulfillment re spiritual activity mowing, trimming and weeding etc in the field ministry

Quietlyleaving ...

You present a very well thought-out, balanced and timely analysis of the material.

I can now see how there could certainly be modern day fullfullments (typical/antitypical/spiritual, etc.) of the garden activities.

Thank you for your insightful analysis.

Rub a Dub

• logic
    logic

The creation account is confusing to say the least. There are two conflicting accounts. Some events before each

other in both accounts. In chapter 2 god is to make a helper for adam but then creates the animals first, later the woman.

I sometimes think that most of this story is just about the creation of adam and his immediate surroundings. Same as the

flood story, you know the localized thing, and the meaning of the earth thing. There seems to be more and more proof of man

being here more than 6.000 years. To bring every animal from all the earth to be named would be an astronomical

feat . All you have to do is place yourself in adams position and think about how long it would take you. All the bible

seems to deal only with what is called the holy land. I guess my point is that for adam to have named all the animals

it would be only the animals in his immediate area, or the garden of eden. But this is just my sometimes dilusional

thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit