How many people in prison are JW's?

by Gadget 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I would say that all statistics come from claims of religious allegiance made by prisoners. The WTs opinion has nothing to do with it.

If Nancy Garrido ticked the JW box, then that is what she would be counted as.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you had been a naughty, but troooo believing, JW and were being locked up, would you hide the fact that you considered yourself a JW in order to not bring reproach on Jehovah or the Orgs names?

It is quite possible that there are more JWs in the prisons than prison statistics show.

One thing is for certain, considering yourself a JW isn't going to keep you out of jail. Statistically, your atheist nieghbor is less likely to end up in the clink than your witness brother.

Cheers

Chris

• Gadget
    Gadget

For an inmate to be classed as a member of a particular faith they have to fill in a declaration at reception (In which they can put down whatever they want), but this must be verified by the prison chaplain. This was brought in to stop inmates making spurious claims to be of a particular religion to be able to have more rights/time out of cell/ect. This is explained in PSO4550 ch1 par1.8 on the prison service website. We know there are arrangements for witnesses to go into prisons and visit people like these.

Carla, I was more thinking of what sort of things JWs got sent to prison for. Before I was df'd, I only knew of 2 witnesses that got sent to prison. Both were for sexual offences. If these people were recruiting new JWs in prison, then the only ones they could have contact with would also be in for sexual offences because of rule 43 and being segregated from ordinary prisoners for their own protection. Whether an inmate is a jw when convicted, or converted while inside it makes now difference to the fact that they would be in congregation after release.

I wonder what the proportion of people in prison for sexual offences who are witnesses compares with the proportion of people who are witnesses in the outside community.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It sounds like religions are over-represented for sexual offences anyway, so it would be difficult to ascertain whether or not the JW prison population was any worse than any other religious group except athiests.

Prison figures show a link between sex crime and religion

The Home Office has disclosed statistics for the first time, showing the prison population according to their faith and type of offence committed.

Two trends emerge: a strong tendency for prisoners who declare a religious faith to be serving time for sexual offences; and a large proportion of fraudsters from oriental faiths.

Richard Foot, of the charity Sanctuary UK, said that some Christians used a warped theology to justify sex crimes and tried to get out of therapy programmes.

“We do know of men that go from church to church seeking children,” he said. “It’s an issue the Home Office is becoming particularly aware of.”

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

For Garrido he was converted to JW while in prison. His soon to be wife met him in prison while visiting her Uncle. So, I wonder if she studied with him or if she turned it over to a brother?

Garrido and her did correspond while he was in prison.

It takes some time to go through the two books required to study, then you must go over the baptismal questions. So I am asuming a brother did that. Also, the baptism itself had to be done. Which leads me to believe there were arrangements made for him to be completely immersed in some container of water.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/BANS19GU6D.DTL

How Garrido got out the first time

here is the paragraph

When Garrido subsequently appealed his sentence, however, his lawyer said he was getting help in prison and had become a Jehovah's Witness. In a handwritten letter to a judge in March 1978, Garrido said he was ready for a chance to "get my life in line."

"I am so ashamed of my past. But my future is now in controle (sic)," he wrote.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/BANS19GU6D.DTL#ixzz0Pv6oK8UP

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I know of at least 12 witnesses, or children of witnesses that never were baptized, but had attended all of their lives who are in prison. Most, if not all are 20 - 30 years old and were put away for drugs, or theft charges to feed their drug addiction. My ex wife's son is locked up right now for these very same offenses.

• Perry
    Perry

The number of JW's and children of witnesses who go to prison are likely far more than officially reported. In my opinion, they are very likely to simply just put down "Christian" so as not to "bring reproach on Jehovah". Or, if they've made a break with the WT org, (even while retaining the indoctrination) they have good reason to keep this aspect of their life anomyous because of the unpopularity of the WT.

The anti-government views of the WT, like teaching that all the governments are from Satan, make children of JW's prime candidates for serious law breakers, having a systemic distrust of authority. Whereas the traditional biblical view is that governments "are God's minister" for justice.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Of course, back in my day (when we were of draft age), it must have been much higher. There used to be a small but sizeable population in most prisons (Feds) and the JWs were usually kept isolated (as much as possible) and were valued as trustees. Which made them all the more hated by the general population.

Of course, I hardly knew a one that did not come out completely messed up psychologically. Many later left the JWs, others got into trouble, died young, and so on.

I am sure it did not help to see the WTS change their own rules and make these young men's sacrifice completely meaningless.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    How many people in prison are JW's?

Not nearly enough. There should be about 6 million more.

W

• steve2
    steve2

Gadget you raise an intriguing question. The answer is a bit involved, however - at least from my perpsective. I have worked in prisons as a registered clinical psychologist and my observations indicate that prison and religion go together like a hand in a snug-fitting glove: Perfectly.

There are some observations that are pertinent which include: Inmates tend to convert to religions after their incaceration, especially to the religion they were raised in; prisons are no respecters of faith; that is, a good number of nimates subscribe to various Christian-based religions. In my last few years as a prison psychologist (mid- to late 1990s) the religious flavor of the day was Pentecostalism. Inmates who convert to Christian religions often speak in terms of "God" saving them from their sins and tend to excuse themselves from active participation in relapse prevention programs. Their pastors are also vaguely critical of prison rehabilitation programs - I suspect because the programs attempt to engender a sense of personal responsibility which runs counter to some religion's beliefs (i.e., put faith in Christ - do not rely on your own "power, etc). Recidivsm amon religious inmates tends to be higher than among non-religious inmates - especially those who complete prison relapse prevention programs.

In my several years as a prison psychologist, I saw inmates of practically every shad eof Christianity; no single sect or denomination predominated. In my view, if it is suggested that the teachings of JWs attract incacerated pedophiles, I'd would only add: And so do the teachings of all other Christian-based religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit