Were You Surprised By How Ted Kennedy Was Revered For His Life?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Teddy was considered by many as "the greatest Senator" ever! He was one sharp politician---no question about it!

But his personal life was glossed over by the media and friends. What about Mary Jo Kopechne, how he left her in the car and she tried to claw her way out of the water b ut drowned instead? Instead of calling the cops, he went back to his hotel and went to sleep!!

Teddy was known for his randy ways with females, even young ones in their teens. And his public drunkeness is well reported. Nevertheless, Kennedy is almost deified.

I don't get it....and what I really don't understand is how women can simply ignore these things. I dunno.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My previous familiarity with Ted Kennedy was as a punchline to jokes about alcoholism. So, yeah, I was surprised when I woke up and "Good Morning America" was listing his many positive contributions to American life as we know it. I learned a lot and have a lot more respect for the man.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Its amazing what death does for a person and their reputation. Granted, Kennedy did many fine things in his life, but he was not without some large blemishes. I remember when I was younger you would here more about Chappaquidock (SP) and his drinking problems, but more and more those things seemed to drift into the past.

I cant help but think of Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson was a freakshow and a punchline for most people for the last 15 years or so, now I am seeing his T-shirts for sale all over the department stores again. With the media attention and the funeral ceremony, you would have thought it was the 1984 version of MJ!!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think possibly some of us knew nothing of his alcoholism or womanizing, or much about Mary Jo Kopechne.

So, the focus was on his work.

I do find it interesting that many powerful men that are shakers and movers are also womanizers, not at all

surprised about the alcohol use/abuse.

From change.org:

Ted Kennedy's Legacy of Social Change

Hey Changemakers,

It's rare that a person touches the hearts and minds of so many activists across so many causes. This week, people around the globe honored the life of Sen. Ted Kennedy, the third longest-serving U.S. Senator in history and a champion for many of the issues that Change.org readers believe in so passionately.

There was global warming, and Kennedy's pioneering work to curb climate change. He was among the first legislators - more than 30 years ago - to sponsor legislation to establish fuel economy standards, and up until his departure from the Senate helped shepherd legislation to cut greenhouse gas pollution.

There was global health, and the Senator's drive to combat global HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, and to make sure that the U.S. was setting the standard when it came to preserving the power of antibiotics.

There was women's rights, and Kennedy's tireless efforts to push the Equal Rights Amendment, and his support for legislation that created family and medical leave time, equal pay for equal work, Title IX equal access for women, and more.

And of course health care, which will perhaps be the cause for which Sen. Kennedy leaves the biggest legacy. Sen. Kennedy's main priority these past few years was to make sure everyone had decent, quality health care as a fundamental right and not a privilege. That work remains unfinished. It's now up to us to complete it.

Whether it was these causes or other such as homelessness, gay rights, human rights abuses, immigration, or poverty, Sen. Kennedy taught us that no issue was too small when it came to defending what is right. It's that spirit that we celebrate here at Change.org each and every day.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ted was the last of the ruling American Royal family. So I am not surprised at his treatment.

History will only remember him as the brother who could never make president, so didn't have to be assassinated because of Mary Jo.
    Then history will say that Massachusetts was able to set all that aside for their own benefit in the Senate.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Kennedy was a lot worse than a womanizer and lush. This is possibly even worse than being a homicide in the case of Mary Jo Kopechne:

Legacy: Considering the Kennedy-Andropov gambit

Now that Ted Kennedy has been eulogized and buried, no one can complain about the examination of his life in the public sphere as inappropriate. From the beginning, Kennedy’s critics have discussed his failures and cowardice at Chappaquiddick, and that certainly belongs in any discussion of Kennedy’s life. However, another episode relates much more directly to Kennedy’s public career and should get a great deal more examination now — his effort to enlist Yuri Andropov as an ally of the Democratic Party against Ronald Reagan in 1983. Peter Robinson reviews the incident for Forbes:

“On 9-10 May of this year,” the May 14 memorandum explained, “Sen. Edward Kennedy’s close friend and trusted confidant [John] Tunney was in Moscow.” (Tunney was Kennedy’s law school roommate and a former Democratic senator from California.) “The senator charged Tunney to convey the following message, through confidential contacts, to the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Y. Andropov.”

Kennedy’s message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. “The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations,” the memorandum stated. “These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign.” …

Kennedy’s motives? “Like other rational people,” the memorandum explained, “[Kennedy] is very troubled by the current state of Soviet-American relations.” But that high-minded concern represented only one of Kennedy’s motives.

“Tunney remarked that the senator wants to run for president in 1988,” the memorandum continued. “Kennedy does not discount that during the 1984 campaign, the Democratic Party may officially turn to him to lead the fight against the Republicans and elect their candidate president.”

One might think that the press would take more interest in this subject. Kennedy offered to get Andropov on American television by pushing networks to visit Moscow and give the former KGB chief airtime. Kennedy wanted Andropov to counter Reagan’s assertion that the Soviet Union was an evil empire. Kennedy also wanted Andropov to push for nuclear disarmament, which would have allowed the Soviets to survive much longer than they did against Reagan’s economic warfare.

Even putting aside who the Soviets were, this is a despicable tactic for any American politician. We pride ourselves on our freedom from foreign influences on our elections. Kennedy tried to set up a mechanism for just that influence for partisan gain — and apparently for personal gain as well. Kennedy didn’t run for President in 1988, in any event, but the fact that he relayed his ambitions to a foreign potentate and begged for his assistance should be enough to blacken Kennedy’s political reputation for good, or at least everywhere outside of Massachusetts.

But selling out to the Soviets in such a fashion comes dangerously close to treason. The Soviets weren’t just some other nation a hemisphere away. In the 1980s, they were our mortal enemies, and almost ready to collapse. Kennedy didn’t just offer to allow our enemy to manipulate our elections, but offered to take positive action for them to succeed in that effort.

That’s more than just personal cowardice and betraying the trust of a young woman, resulting in her death. Morally if not legally, the Andropov gambit was a betrayal of American independence and security by a high-ranking politician. It should stand as a singular denunciation of Kennedy as a power-hungry, contemptible politician. Like in Chappaquiddick, the only reason it hasn’t is because of his family name.

• sir82
    sir82

Every politician - right, left, whatever - has skeletons in his/her closet. Kennedy was no different.

Every politician on the left, given that he has been influential enough, is accused of something or other that the right calls "treason".

Every politician on the right, given that he has been influential enough, is accused of something or other that the left calls "treason".

Those who are somewhat rational recognize this, and filter out the drooling invective from both sides, and recognize effective politicians for what they have accomplished in their political lives. Kennedy was one of the most effective senators in US history - shoot, he served for over 20% of the history of the US Constitution.

Also there is the media's obsession with wealth, celebrity, fame, sex scandals, etc. - the Kennedy's are a favorite subject.

So no, it doesn't surprise me at all.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sir82, that equivocation does not cut the mustard. The evidence is very clear regarding Ted. Saying that "they are all like that" does not necessarily make it so. Treason sets the bar pretty damned low, and conniving with the police apparatus of the Soviet Union in the midst of the cold war is damning as hell. I don't care that he was a Kennedy, he is pretty much a traitor.

BTS

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Why does this book keep coming to mind?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Do you have anything else to contribute, Jimmeh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit