what happened to "peace and security"???

by highdose 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• highdose
    highdose

i remember growing up as a dub that everyone was constantly on the look out for what could be the cry of peace and security... then suddenly people just stopped, it stopped being mentioned in talks ... everything

theories please?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe that lightbulb burnt out

• blondie
    blondie

Well, for one thing the WTS teaches that prophecy fulfilled is not understood until you are in the midst of the fulfillment or after it has been fulfilled.

The WTS also protects its behind by saying that real peace does not have to come only that people say it will soon.

*** w04 2/1 p. 21 pars. 11-13 "The Scene of This World Is Changing" ***One of his goals is to deceive mankind into thinking that his way of governing can bring them true peace. By and large, his propaganda has succeeded, for people remain optimistic in spite of mounting evidence that conditions are going from bad to worse. The apostle Paul foretold that just before this system of things is destroyed, there will be a notable expression of satanic propaganda. He wrote: "Whenever it is that they are saying: ‘Peace and security!’ then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman."—1 Thessalonians 5:3; Revelation 16:13.

In recent years, politicians have often used the phrase "peace and security" to describe various human schemes. They even dubbed 1986 the International Year of Peace, although that year did not live up to its name. Do such efforts by world leaders constitute the complete fulfillment of 1 Thessalonians 5:3, or was Paul referring to a specific event of such dramatic proportions as to claim world attention?

Since Bible prophecies are often fully understood only after they are fulfilled or are in the process of fulfillment, we will have to wait and see. It is of interest, though, that Paul compared the sudden destruction following the cry of "Peace and security!" to the birth pang of a pregnant woman. Over a period of about nine months, an expectant mother becomes increasingly aware of the baby that is growing within her. She may be able to hear her baby’s heartbeat or feel its movements in the womb. It may even kick her. The signs often become more and more pronounced until, one day, she feels a sharp pain, a pang, indicating that the hoped-for event—the baby’s birth—has arrived. Hence, however the prophesied cry of "Peace and security!" may be fulfilled, it will lead to a sudden, painful, but ultimately blessed event—the destruction of wickedness and the beginning of a new world system.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

another failed WTS prophecy and lie?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

such tricky dickies

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I remember that to. I've only stopped going in the last 5 months or so and to be honest, I haven't heard this "peace & security" business in quite a while either.

One thing I did tell my mum (right before the US & UK went to war in Iraq) was that the UN wasn't the force it once was. So all this business that the UN will bring an end to religion is absolute tosh.

The way I see it, the UN is a global Red Cross. Since when have countries, in recent years, listened to UN mandates? Maybe the WTB$ also understand think this way and that's why they have an NGO membership with the UN?

Either way, the WTB$ has a sell-by-date. I just hope I get to see them expire in my lifetime.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Well, from an exegetical point of view they would be well inspired (I mean, spirit-directed) to drop it, since in context "when they say peace and security' is the very opposite of a remarkable event. The eschatology of 1 Thessalonians is a no-precursory-sign scenario (like a thief in the night) much like that found in the Synoptic Gospels, especially Luke (17:26ff) "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man. They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them. Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed all of them --it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed." "Peace and security" in 1 Thessalonians has the same function as "they were eating and drinking, etc." Nothing extraordinary before the "day" comes.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Narkissos,

:The eschatology of 1 Thessalonians is a no-precursory-sign scenario (like a thief in the night) much like that found in the Synoptic Gospels, especially Luke (17:26ff) "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man.

That would also be true of Matt 24, Luke 21 and Mark 13, would it not?

Farkel

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Farkel,

Imo the situation in Mark 13 // Matthew 24 is much more complex, because the question is about a forewarning "sign" of the temple destruction (Mark, v. 4: "when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?") and the end of the age (Matthew); in Mark the wars etc. are not thesign of imminent end (v. 7, "this is not the end yet"), but a sign nonetheless (v. 8, "this is the beginning of the birth pangs"); the preaching of the Gospel is also bound to happen first, before the end (v. 10); the "abomination of desolation" is a sign for the tribulation on Judea (v. 14) which must also precede the coming on the Son of Man. In Matthew the fall of Jerusalem becomes itself a sign (immediately after) for the cosmical signs and the end of the age. All versions of the discourse retain the fig tree illustration (Mark 13:28ff//), the point of which is recognising the general time for the event before it happens. Only then comes the theme of the thief in the night and the warning that nobody knows the day and hour (v. 32-37). So when you look at the whole discourse it is not really a no-sign scenario, although elements of this model are mixed with others which do suggest some sort of "program".

"Luke" (who constantly struggles with the delay of the parousia) tries to solve the problem by dissociating the material pertaining to Jerusalem's fall from that referring to the coming of the Son of Man; one of his tricks is separating the two events by the famous "times of the Gentiles" (21:24); another is moving much of the material referring to the coming of the Son of Man to a completely different context (chapter 17), making it a completely sudden event with no forewarning at all.

• Roski
    Roski

I seem to remember (if my memory serves me correctly) that it was R. Reagan that first mentioned P+S and everyone was sure the end was imminent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit