socially...how often do they even talk about da troof??

by oompa 12 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

when i was a dub.....and had such good friends...party friends....vacation friends.....we never even did the morning text, cause we all woke up at different times depending on how much we drank the night before.........we could be on a cruise, at a beach house, or riding board in colorado......and damm....spiritual WT conversation was NOT in the picture!!.......

so kinda funny that they all shun me now, even though i am not dfd........so if i had them over sociall....should they even come, what are they afraid of?...........i mean back then the bible shit never ever came up anyway............oompa

did you guys have friends who were all dubby on vaca/holiday or at parties??

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Oompa..

It really depended on the group..

Some would party without a word of WBT$ BS..

Then you would get some that would want a Sunday Watchtower Study..While we were Frigg`in Camping!!

.......................LOL!!..OUTLAW

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Never. No one knows me as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, no one remembers me as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. At work I sing louder than anyone when there's a birthday or at Christmas. The 2 or 3 times I've ever mentioned it to a friend or a neighbor they are shocked that I ever had anything to do with that weird little sect. It's been 20 years. I've been out longer than I was in. At times I barely remember what that life was like.

I say this because I want people who are exiting to know that it does get better. There is life beyond Jehovah's Witnesses. It is a better life, one without guilt, without mindless time wasting sales meetings (otherwise known as meetings).

Life is what you make of it. Once you're free, there are so many opportunities and so much freedom. But there is also no more excuses for failures. No one is holding you back.

It's scary, but in a good way. You know?

• oompa
    oompa

Good for you big tex, but i meant when you were still in....at social times, was WT stuff ever mentioned?............for my crowd of friend, esp on vacation, the only thing that ever happened was prayer at meal, and lots of non-dubs do that, and i can ignore it.....but i find it odd i am shunned by so many old friends, when we did not sit around talkin about wt stuff/crap..............unless they were expressing doubts too.............oompa

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Oompa, my JW friends were/are like yours. If you observed us on vacation or socializing, you probably couldn't tell that we were Witnesses.

But I've noticed that it only takes one "spiritual" JW to suggest studying the WT, doing the text, etc. Most will cave to the peer pressure and guilt. Personally, I always tried to avoid vacationing with those dubs.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Anytime we were out with da freinds it very rarely came up, especially when you were having a good time... Outa sight outa mind..

• CHILD
    CHILD

Sometimes the friends would talk about doctrine or some odd bible verse. Most of the time, we did not discuss the organization or the bible, even when speaking to each other between doors in field service.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

When I get annoyed at work, I tell my coworkers I'm sending a Jehovah Witness to their house this weekend.

It gets a good laugh. Until one actually showed up at a coworkers house on a Saturday.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Everyone was too drunk at those gatherings to talk about "deep spiritual things!" A lot of the elders were drunk even before they arrived there.

Nowadays I hear there is a two drink minimum and they stamp your hand for each drink you get. If you get a third one, they DF you. If you get a fourth one, they stone you.

Then they all go home and get even more drunk.

Farkel

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Talking about the party or rumors about talking badly of the party would be held against you if you were informed on.

Expressing doubts about the official history / events / doctrines would be held against you.

Listening to rumors about secret scandals would be held against you.

The could come at any time and take you away.

This was very common in the communist party apparatchik my friend, they made families inform on each other. - Sergie F. (conversation with a co-worker 6/97)

---------

He also said that talk generally avoided topics that could get you into trouble if it was reported, or be construed as criticism, or trying to cause unrest by repeating false stories. He didn't know how well I understood what he was talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit