Do you say the world is BETTER since 1914 or WORSE?

by hamsterbait 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The religious publishing house for which the WTS. really is, exploits human hardship to propagate its own published literature.

Therefore the truthful facts of world conditions do not get expressed in a unbiased way by the writers/editors of the WTS.

This dishonest and heartlessly disingenuous propaganda has sustained the circulation of their literature for close to a century.

With a bit a of help of mind control techniques entwined in their indoctrination process they have convinced their members that

prior to 1914 and prior to Satan the Devil being cast down to earth that there were none of these select " signs of the end times"

events throughout the earth, factual history proves something quite different though.

Investigating and studying actual history outside of the WTS. doctrinal ideology presents the real truth of what the world was like prior to 1914.

The real truth and " The Truth " presented by the WTS. are quite opposites , revealing an underhanded agenda in their writings.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Farkel; "I've seen studies where infant mortality is factored out, being defined as ages birth to 5 years. People on average still live substantially longer than they did even 100 years ago."

Farkel, look at the lifespans of the Founding Fathers like Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin etc. Their age at death goes from late 60's to 80's. I concede that modern medicine has lenthened the age at which many people die (saving them from heart attacks, congenital diseases, etc).

villabolo

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

World War I set in motion events that defined the 20th century. At the risk of over simplfying history, World War I caused World War II which then created the Cold War, which then left an ancillary racial war that disintegrated Yugoslavia. Interestingly the place that began World War I.

Yeah I know there's more to it than that.

But is the world better? I guess it depends on what standard "better" is being judged? Technologically, medically and food-wise, yeah there's no doubt we're better off than the average person was in 1914. I won't argue with any positivity mentioned on this thread. Hell flush toilets and air-conditioning alone make the world a better place for this pampered little American.

On the flip side, we now have the ability to destroy all life on the planet. We may have started a process, arguably just beginning in 1914, that changes weather on this planet. If so, we do not know what impact this will have on humans, but current projections are not favorable. There is still slavery. Much of Africa and Asia face a struggle daily to find food and water. Half, or more, the planet's population lives a life of bare subsistance. This is no different than the life they faced in 1914.

In the western world, we have based our society on not just oil, but cheap oil. Those days are nearly at an end. There is no alternative in sight.

Overall I think things are better now, but I also think it depends on who you are and where you live.

Chris

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

1909 Ford Model R

Show this to your children and/or grandchildren

THE YEAR 1909

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
    The year is 1909.
    One hundred years ago.
    What a difference a century makes!
    Here are some statistics for the Year 1909 :

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles

Of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year .

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
    A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which

Were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard. '

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used

Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from

Entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
    2. Tuberculosis
    3. Diarrhea
    4. Heart disease
    5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas , Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea

Hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day .

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school..

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'

Eighteen percent of households had at least

One full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE ! U.S.A. !

I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself..
    From there, it will be sent to others all over the
    WORLD - all in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

</form>

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

And in 1909, in America, anyone with dark skin, were treated horribly. Law, education, medical care and employment were not applied equally or fairly. A black man could be murdered by slow torture (lynching) and no one face prosecution.

Depends on who you are and where you live as to whether things are better now than then.

• logic
    logic

Ask any jw in what century and what country would you have preferred to live in and why. All I have asked said they

would prefer to stay where they are.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Great question, great thread.

No way would I want to live in any decade previous to this one.

• sir82
    sir82

Usually, whenever I think about the "romance" of living 100 or more years ago, one look at the dental instruments of the past is enough to cure me rather quickly!

http://www.printsoldandrare.com/surgical/

Imagine all that without novocaine or gas!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The signs of the "bad times" that the WT uses are NOT signs at all.

In Matthew, Jesus states that His Second coming will be a like a "thief in the night", unpredicatable and everyone caught unawares.

He tehn goes on to state who there will be famines wand wars and people being Bad, these things are said as EXAMPLES of what will be going on AS USUAL, before he comes, they are NOT signes per say, Jesus was referring to the "status qup" if you will.

Why woudl Jesus tell his disciples that the second comin and the end of things was UNKNOWN and would catch ALL BY SURPRISE and then go on to give "signs" ?

There is no sense to that, unless some interprets things their way for ulterior motives.

• besty
    besty

its been posted before but always worth a 2nd look:

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit