What do you do for canker sores?

by daniel-p 30 Replies latest social physical

• horrible life
    horrible life

Keep the teeth near the ulcer, very very clean. No acidic foods, or sweets. Buy some Biotene toothpaste, to help keep the ulcers away.

If you can get your hands on some debacterol, it works wonderfully, to help heal, and stop the pain.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Spike, that is a very unexpected response to a thread on canker sores, but I admit I find it very interesting.

As for an answer to you, Daniel, I believe the amino acid L-Lysine is supposed to be great to keep canker sores at bay, but don't mess with swollen lymph glands. Sounds like something else might be happening.

• oompa
    oompa

omg spike........now really feel sorry for you man........you eat mostly the same thing at meals every day??.....and boiled beef only???......if i had to eat like that id want canks all over me body...............shoot me!

and secondly btw...........what the hey are canker sores?.............sounds knarly.............oompa

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

they're like blisters in the mouth.

a quick search for "canker" on Google comes up with http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/613.html on the first page, which is the address for the article entitled "Canker Sores: What Are They and What Can You Do About Them?"

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

The sores are caused by one of the herpes viruses. I get them too and they are extremely painful and usually come in groups of three or four. Ask your doctor for a RX for triamcinolone paste, which does help with healing. You can also ask about one of the anti-viral medications. My dentist put me on a course of meds that I took for a couple of months and I didn't have any more sores for several years. Good luck with this. The good news is this is not a problem that will kill you. The bad news - this is a miserable problem that you are going to encounter from time to time. Interestingly, people who get canker sores don't get cold sores (the ones on and around the lips) - a silver lining, sort of.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is something that I found helps: http://www.cankercover.com/

You can get it at any pharmacy.

The only thing I have found the prevents canker sores is obsessive dental hygiene.

• blondie
    blondie

I use Goshawk's remedy, vitamin C tabs. Reminder: canker sores are not the same as cold sores

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The sores are caused by one of the herpes viruses.

There are plenty of canker sores that are not viral. As such, anti-viral medications will have zero effect on them.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/prevent_canker_sores.html

Recurrent canker sores may be the result of nutritional deficiencies. A patient who has regular problems with canker sores should have blood tests to determine possible vitamin deficiencies, and to determine potential problems with allergies. It may be helpful to keep a "food diary" to determine potential allergies or food irritants.

Other preventive tactics include:

- Avoid toothpastes and mouthwashes containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)
    - Include yogurt and other cultured, soured dairy products in your diet.
    - Avoid tobacco, chewing gum, and lozenges.
    - Avoid citrus fruits.
    - Eat salads and raw onions.
    - Do not take iron supplements unless prescribed by a doctor.

Diet and canker sores. What food allergies or reactions may cause canker sores?

A study conducted in Turkey suggested that wheat, oranges, tomatoes, chocolate, nuts, eggplant, tea and cola may trigger aphthous ulcers. [Oral Surg. 1984:57, pp.504-507] When food triggers are identified and eliminated from the diet, as many as 50% of those suffering from recurrent canker sores notice dramatic improvement.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that diets high in sugar, citrus, and cereal grains may trigger canker sores. By avoiding these foods, the patient can see for himself whether they may be triggers in his case.

Adequate zinc and folic acid intake are essential for rapid healing. In addition, nutrients such as DGL licorice, goldenseal, and pau d'arco tea have a tradition of helping heal aphthous ulcers.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> The sores are caused by one of the herpes viruses.

No... the cause of canker sores is unknown .

The most prominent theory is that they are the result of the immune system overreacting to something harmless. Having a canker sore is like having a sinus reaction to pollen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit