Is this really what JWs use to "attract" people?

by losthusband 32 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

It would have been more accurate if they had shown Brother Dumpster running on a treadmill.

Don't ya just love how the speakers always cue the audience to burst into spontaneous applause?

• veen
    veen

Diabolical. Notice how the old geezer doesn't actually say, 'Don't go to university, get a good job or pursue your running'. But it's subtly implied through his smug wisdom.

Although there can be no doubt, it is probably quite appealing to some people, the thought of being clapped at in a circuit assembly for wasting your life.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

awww that was great seing that again...warms my heart everytime. So nice to see loyal servents truly enjoying serving Jah.Yes the video may not have the best actors but hey its the heart that counts and any lover of Jah can feel the genuine love....im so happy for seing that,am going to watch another dvd..thankyou for sharing it :)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

unfortunately they are loyal servants to a mind controlling , murderous cult, if only they were really servants of God, sadly they are the opposite

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

yep, very typical.

Paul

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Lost Husband,

If you read Steve Hassan's book, 'Combatting Cult Mind Control', you'll know more about this organization than your loved ones. (You can purchase a used copy from Amazon for less than ten bucks.)

A highly sophisticated type of thought reform is used to contro the minds of JWs. Two key components of this control are, "Doctrine over Person" and "Dispensing of Existence". (You can read more about this, here.)

The personal hopes and dreams of members must be thrown away. All focus must be placed on the group and its goals. Members are taught that any goals that they have that would detract from religious duty/service are harmful and Satanic. They induce guilt into people that have hopes and dreams unrelated to the WT Society.

-LWT

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

losthusband,

I would say that the videos weren't successful to "attract" people. It only wowed those that were already believers.

When I was still in Bethhell, it was evident that no new, big videos were coming out in the foreseeable future. The one this year was small by comparison to earlier projects. Most of what is done now is for sign language.

Why? Those big productions were expensive and time consuming to make, translate, and distribute. I heard that since the death of Lee Waters, they lost a "Young People Ask..." driving force. Money has been getting tighter and tighter. And the return on investment was unimpressive. Money and new believers were not pouring in as a result of the work. It didn't help that Jaracz thought it was all worthless.

With the video productions, Kool-Aid drinking dubs were impressed and "reinforced", but it was too quickly forgotten. The average JW hasn't watched one of the videos in years. They won't remember most of the names of the videos or the main points. Dubs are accustomed to new pieces of litteratrash every week, not every couple of years. And most of those publications, and videos, were considered "out-dated" and forgotten on the shelf after a very short time.

Watchtower is a book publishing corporation, not a movie studio. It just doesn't work the same. And it certainly didn't translate well into foreign territories. The wealth, American arrogance, and mind-control was too "in your face" for most foreign audiences.

Another major problem with video was that people featured in a production may leave "the truth" very soon afterward. I heard that they would frequently check the status of participants and edit out any "not in good standing" anymore. What would have happened if the main character decided to fornicate? Everything would have to go in the trash.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

That reminds me, is true that the guy who wrote 'Make The Truth Your Own' is now an apostate?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Gag me. If the kid HAD thought he was Olympic worthy, would the obi wan kenobe/yoda type advice have been the same? Woo hoo, he can go to MS school.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

That's sickening. I hate the JWs. So how does this guy live? How does he have enough money to buy running shoes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit