Letter to former JW friends

by bluecanary 14 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

It's a good letter...

Too bad nobody will read the whole thing. JWs are trained to run away from anything even remotely critical of the Society/JWs. Most of those letters are going to find the trash can before being finished read. Some might read it, just to see how far you've gone "apostate".

But, on the slim chance that it might find someone who is already having some doubts, it may be the little push they need to get them to really look at things.

If it will bring you some closure, you should send it. Best case scenerio, someone might respond thanking you; worst case scenerio, most of the reciepients will shun you which you're already prepared for.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

The letter will probably find its way to certain individuals who are already questioning. It will be a God send for them.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

For Steve and reniaa, Mother and I WANT for them to know that we're no longer witnesses. She also wants to write a formal letter of disassociation so they will stop counting us as members, but first we want to make sure old friends know that this is a choice we have made due to conscience, rather than a "weakness of the flesh." The purpose is not to malign their faith, but to introduce the thought that some people do leave for good reasons.

I know that the majority may not read most of it. But I figure three good things will come of this:

(1) They will know exactly where we stand.

(2) Any who are having doubts may appreciate knowing they're not alone.

(3) Even if they disregard it now, some may have doubts or choose to leave in the future. In which case, they may want to get in contact with us. I know I would love to be in contact with past friends who left the JWs but have no way of doing so now.

• looloo
    looloo

great letter hope you dnt mind but i will send a copy to fam members also xx

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Someone suggested these additions in a PM:

"When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warnings. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?" The Watchtower Magazine, January 15, 1974.

I may add something else:

"... and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free.”. John 8:32, New World Translation. Maybe this one is not so good, as it might be mistaken for "the Truth". Or, perhaps that is why it would be powerful, as it would force people to check whether "the Truth" sets them free at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit