Letter to former JW friends

by bluecanary 14 Replies latest jw friends

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

My mother has been burning to write a letter to old friends among the witnesses. We move around so much and were never great at keeping in touch. No one knows we've left the b0rg, but we don't care who finds out. Her goal is to get them to be disturbed by the fact that they aren't allowed to question their beliefs. We know that realistically, many will choose to not read the letter once they realize what it's about. But it's worth a shot.

I'd like some input on the letter. It's written by both of us, but form her point of view. Any thoughts are welcome.

"Reasonable persons agree that the only fair method is to examine the evidence on both sides, both for and against a disputed theory. That is how one arrives at the truth."-Awake! 10/22/1973, p. 6
    "We need to examine not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination."-Truth that Leads to Everlasting Life, p.13
    "It is not a form of religious persecution for anyone to say and to show that another religion is false. It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion. Why should anyone practice a religion unless he is convinced that it is true and right?"-Watchtower, 11/15/63, p. 688, 689
    Think about this:
    When you first learn about the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, you are told, "Do not listen to anyone who says anything against 'the truth.' All objections are evil and come from an evil source". So before you even know what many of the teachings are, you stop listening to any potential reasonable and accurate objections.
    Reasonable and accurate objections could only come from someone who at one time was a Jehovah's Witness or who studied with them. They are the only ones who could know what the teachings are and what the problems with them are. But what are those people called? Apostates. And everyone knows that they are moved by a powerful evil force that has misled them, and none of what they have to say is right or true.
    So the only potential objections to the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses that you might hear (TV shows, magazine articles, relatives, friends, neighbors) come from people who do not really know what they're talking about, so it's easy to dismiss their objections as erroneous.
    Have you ever had the following thoughts as a Witness? "The people who are afraid to talk to us are ridiculous. What are they so afraid of? Do they think that by just listening to us that we'll perform some sort of hypnosis on them and that no matter what we say, they will suddenly and inexplicably want to become Witnesses, thereby ruining their lives? Why would they not just assume that we would present reasonable arguments that they could either accept or reject?"
    And yet, isn't that exactly what the Witnesses believe will happen to them if they listen to apostates? It's as if these objectors have a magical power that will cause you to believe what is wrong and nonsensical in spite of your own intelligence and reasoning ability. You are scared senseless of this possibility. You may lose not just your everlasting life, but your friends and family and relationship with Jehovah. You will be rejected and condemned by those you love and need.
    So you never, ever, hear any possible legitimate objections. You don't really even know if there are any. You have not made an informed choice. You cannot exercise free will, the gift that God gave you.
    The definition of "apostate": a person who forsakes his religion, cause, party, etc.
    Anyone who forsakes their former religion to become a Jehovah's Witness is an apostate. I am an apostate Catholic. Paul was an apostate Jew. Here is the important question: Is it possible to become an apostate Jehovah's Witness without becoming an apostate Christian? Which is more crucial: remaining loyal to the Watchtower Society or to Jehovah? If a person feels the Watchtower Society is teaching something or acting in a way contrary to what is in the Bible, would it not be disloyal to choose the WTS over Jehovah and Jesus?
    Not everyone who leaves the Society is a weak, sex-crazed, money-hungry, lazy, selfish, pagan, worldly, got-their-feelings-hurt-by-someone, anti-Christian, anti-God, undermining demon. Many of them decided, just as the Bereans did, to see if what they were being taught was true. How can you do this if you never listen to anything negative and are scared "to death" to do so? Isn't that a cult mentality?
    When you make a purchase, do you take the manufacturer's word that their product is the best? Do you compare it to products from other manufacturers? Do you read or listen to reviews from people who have purchased it? Do you read only the positive reviews or do you read negative ones, too? Aren't negative reviews only useful if the person has actually tried the product?
    Most people who get to this point have spent years dealing with doubts and disappointments. They have seen and heard things that were unscriptural and unloving. There were certain teachings that they just never were able to understand or reconcile with the Bible. Yes, there are people who leave because they are weak, sex crazed, or not very intellectual. They are the ones who will often go back. Those who have left because they care about doing what is right or true, will not.
    Think about this. Have you really made an informed decision?
    "No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."-Awake! July, 2009 p. 29
  • palmtree67
    palmtree67

This is very good.

Clear and simple.

Nicely done!

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

excellent!

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

Great job on that, I would like to send that letter to some of my own old JW friends. Thanks for sharing this, I can't think of anything to improve it, it is really well organized.

CS

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Not a single scripture quoted. Excellent. Keep it that way. They don't believe the Bible so I don't quote it either.

I really don't have anything to add. It is very well written.

Cheers

Chris

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Excellent!

My only tweak would be to put the 2009 Awake as my first reference, because JW's are trained to view older comments as already having changed anyway. Then, keep it at the bottom. Repitition for Emphasis ya know.... lol

• steve2
    steve2

Your mother is burning to communicate these ideas to former JW friends? But why? What does she hope to accomplish? What does she or you think will happen as a consequence?

• reniaa
    reniaa

I agree with steve

All she will be doing is proving she is now an apostate to witnesses in their eyes. Far from what she thinks writing letters to people maligning people's faith/religion will actually achieve.

Reniaa

• moshe
    moshe

Good luck on getting a JW to read more than a couple paragraphs of this sort of letter. JW's only want the security of their routine at the KH and the puesdo JW-friends they have.

• trebor
    trebor

I disagree with both Steve and Reniaa. I performed a similar action and put together all the details along with logic reasoning and presented it to my wife. She was able to break free of the Watchtower Society's hold.

My wife and I then sent similar information to the rest of our 'immediate' family (Parents, siblings). Thankfully, my wife's parents were able to also break free of the Society, sadly my parents and siblings have not (yet)...But there's always hope.

You never know who you may reach. Even if your letter helps just one person, it is well worth it. Your letter may be just what they need to wake them up from the ways of the Society. I am living proof that sending such information does work. While it may not work for many, even if it works for a few or even just one person, think of all the good you have accomplished.

Additionally, it may not provide immediate results but may help in the accumulation of information or perhaps even the start of collecting information and reasoning for those people, assisting them to think outside of the Watchtower Society's teachings and interpretations.

-Trebor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit