For those that say the Witnesses are NOT a HCG - High Control Group

by besty 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

Let's start a quick list for reference.

Here's a gem from the 2008 Keep Yourself In God's Love book:

"....should the newlyweds identify to all the giver of each gift? Christians from Macedonia

and Achaia made contributions to brothers in Jerusalem, but there is no indication

that their names were publicized. ( Romans 15:26 ) Many Christians who give a

wedding present would want to remain anonymous rather than attract undue

attention to themselves. In this regard, review Jesus' counsel found at Matthew

6:1-4 . 16 Identifying the givers of gifts could lead to "stirring up competition" as to which is

the better or the more costly gift. Thus, wise Christian newlyweds will refrain from

publicly announcing the names of gift givers...."

There you have folks - giving a wedding present? Many Christians do it anonymously. Getting a wedding present where the giver has shamelessly told you who they are? Make sure you don't tell anyone else. This is in line with their "If in doubt keep it a secret" policy, which also applies to child abuse.

Thanks to StAnn for posting this a while back

Any more....?

• Heaven
    Heaven

Questioning the GB repeatedly will get you DF'ed.

• besty
    besty

depending on the question, once could be enough, unless you recant sooner rather than later

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I thought, 'say what?!'

So I looked it up. It's from the WT 2006, 10/15, p.15 - not from the God's Love book.

I know what it sounds like but I think the writer just means not publicly announcing the gift givers' names at the wedding - y'know, "Before we propose a toast , my wife and I would like to thank Sister Onwelfare for her colorful set of dish towels. And we'd also like to thank our close friend, Brother Loaded for our gorgeous, antique, solid walnut dining room set which is worth more than the house."

• Heaven
    Heaven

Thanks, besty. I figured as much but I knew for sure if you questioned repeatedly they'd consider you 'a weak witness' or 'spiritually unsound' and you'd be ousted. They do love their labels!

• besty
    besty

hey AOM - ye but its still a HCG indicator - I mean what has wedding gift etiquette got to do with anything?

thanks for the source correction....;-))

• reniaa
    reniaa

an now can we have an unedited version?

Not that it realy bothers me I have been to a few weddings and at only one did they read out the gifts and it was a richer affair, where clearly some of the more afluent givers wanted their gifts acknowledged.

Cards are read out but gifts are usually kept for private perusal later by the bride and groom, maybe thanking the giver personally in private at a later date.

this is so not a big deal!

Reniaa

• John Doe
    John Doe
    this is so not a big deal!
    Reniaa

That's the point. Why are they instructing as to what should be done if it's not a big deal? Have you ever seen the instructions for how many squares of toilet paper and hand towels are permissable for wise christians?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

hey AOM - ye but its still a HCG indicator - I mean what has wedding gift etiquette got to do with anything?

thanks for the source correction....;-))

Well, it does come over as micro-managing, yeah. Or are some JWs really that dumb and insensitive that it needs to be spelt out like that? DON'T answer.

One of the latest HCG indicators par excellence is that anal leaflet about appropriate dress for touring Bethel. Sheesh!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Watchtower - the Emily Post of religions!

Who knew?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit