Can someone help me?

by losthusband 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• losthusband
    losthusband

Hi - I'm new here so go easy on me!

I've been lurking for a while trying to find out info on the JWs.

Some questions I have:

1. What sort of things are involved in a "bible study" for a 10/11 year old?
    2. What is the attraction for a 17 year old girl to start "studying" and going to meetings....am I missing something?
    3. What are the first steps for telling your partner they are nuts for wanting anything to do with the JWs?

Sorry if this should be 3 separate topics, however it will be easier for me to keep track of answers in one topic.

Thanks in advance!

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Sometimes young peoplke do it out of sincere desire to please someone they like and want to be friends with. I was 17, and I did it cos I liked the ladies I studied with.

As for the partner, show them this form and bring them lotsa coffee and time to browse.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Remember this forum has mostly an anti-witnesses one. The information on here is mostly biased against them.

Reniaa

• undercover
    undercover

1. It's not a Bible Study. It's a reading and answering of questions of Watchtower literature. Bible scriptures will be read from time to time to validate the JW belief. If you don't want your child to join a high control religious group, do not allow it.

2. There's a cute guy at the Kingdom Hall. Other than than I can't think of one. But seriously, she may be influenced by friends or JW family already attending. Again, if you don't want her too involved in the JW religion, make sure she experiences things outside the JW influence...and hope it's just a phase she'll grow out of once she sees how controlling they are. Make sure she understand exactly what she's getting involved in. If you can show her the things she'll have to give up to be a JW, it might be enough to keep her from getting too involved.

3. Don't tell em they're nuts. JWs play the persecution card. They tell new recruits that family and friends will persecute them for studying with them. Don't force a showdown. It will only push them further in. This is a tough one. You may have to do some research on several of the JW teachings and false predictions and when the oppurtunity presents itself, feign interest in their studies and then kindly present the evidence that would hopefully raise doubts and questions. Depending on how strong they are, it may take time and more than one instance of proving the JW teaching or prophecy wrong. Patience is required. Also showing love and kindness in other areas. You'll get more and better advice from others who have been there.

Good luck....

• undercover
    undercover
    Remember this forum has mostly an anti-witnesses one. The information on here is mostly biased against them.

Mostly true, though were ex-witnesses. I'm anti-Watchtower Society, not anti-witness. I feel pity for most JWs. They don't know they're being used by the Society.

But since Reniaa brought it up...don't take our word for it. Research everything the JWs say and everything we say. Decide the real truth and act on it then.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

What sort of things are involved in a "bible study" for a 10/11 year old?

The same thing as for adults. A lot of information that 'sounds' real but it's not. Brainwashing and programming

What is the attraction for a 17 year old girl to start "studying" and going to meetings....am I missing something?

The only thing that comes to mind, she either has a friend who has been going to work on her with WT dribbel, or there's a boy she likes that cannot reciprocate because he is a JW and is not allowed to 'associate with worldly people'.

What are the first steps for telling your partner they are nuts for wanting anything to do with the JWs?

Ask if she's willing to let her children die in the case they are ever in need of a transfusion. Ask her if she's willing to lose her relationship with her family. All interaction with ANYBODY that's not a JW, will change eventually. It's inevitable. The WT Society will try to tak the place of her friends and family, thus making it harder to leave if she ever wants to.

Keep reading the forum, you'll find plenty of reasons not to be a JW. Welcome and Good Luck!

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

And don't mind Reniaa, he/she has a warped sense of reality.

• megs
    megs

1. They read a book and get the child/adult to parrot the responses already given.

2. Ready made friends who will love-bomb you until you are fully indoctrinated. Answers to life's questions (I'm not saying they are the right answers, but they'll give you answers).

3. How far into it is she? The blood one is a good one, but really depends on how much they have learned so far. Go to silentlambs.org child abuse is a big one.

• losthusband
    losthusband

Thanks for the help so far!

My partner was very into her studies - but this has lapsed, she often gets an encouraging phone call from "friends" encouraging her to attend meetings and wants to go back - she was never baptised.

My daughter gets invited to other JWs houses for "parties" - watching tv, popcorn etc. She has also recieved cards stating she is "progressing well" - what the hell does that mean?

LH

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Welcome losthusband! Yes, you're going to get mostly anti-witness information here, but that's ok because if you want pro-witness information to compare it to, you can speak to the JWs who are calling on your family. Win.

My mother began studying with the witnesses when she was about 23 years old. Her big question in life was "Why does God allow suffering?" The witnesses offer an answer to this question. When you take this answer on its own, it can be satisfying and relieve the stress of trying to reconcile a loving God with a cruel world.

The trouble is, that when you examine EVERYTHING they teach, the answers do not add up. Witness teachings are like a house of cards. When you pull out the doctrines and beliefs that can be proven untrue, the rest of it comes tumbling down.

What I liked about being a witness as a teenager, (and what attracts many people to cults in general) is the feeling of having some great and special insight into the major issues of the universe. I pitied people who didn't know what I knew. I didn't have to worry about the future because there wasn't going to be a future in this world. Imagine how much stress that relieves for a teenager! When you don't have to be anxious over school and career and future family because you don't believe this world will go on long enough for those things to be an issue.

When someone begins studying with the witnesses, there is an initial period of friendship called "love bombing." She will be welcomed into the kingdom hall and treated like someone very special. What girl wouldn't be motivated by that? As time goes by and she either makes a commitment by getting baptized or stalls in her progression, the love will fade. If she commits and she's lucky enough to be the kind of popular, outgoing person that people are attracted to, she will have friends for as long as she remains loyal to the jws. If she doesn't make a commitment, she will find herself friendless. Either way, the specialness wears off.

Instruct your daughter in the skill of reasoning. Make sure she understands logical fallacies and how to recognize them. Make it a game (try offering a dollar for each one) to discover them in everything she reads.

Encourage her to become involved in activities with other non-JW teens. Sports, picnics, volunteer activities, book clubs--find fun and fulfilling things to occupy her mind. Make sure her life is filled with opportunities for education, friendship and fun. And offer emotional support for the anxiety she is no doubt facing on the cusp of adulthood. She has a lot of life-altering decisions ahead of her. Becoming a witness is a way of escaping from that. Help her to know that she doesn't have to escape because she's got you as a support for these major decisions.

Do not forbid her from studying. This will feed into the jw persecution complex AND natural teenage rebelliousness. Tell her you support her, and you want her to take in enough information to make a wise, informed decision.

As far as telling your partner she's nuts-don't! If you were looking into a new religion/career/hobby/long-distance carrier/etc would you want her to tell you there's something wrong with YOU for the choice you're considering? Make it clear that you respect her interest in this subject and her right to freely choose a form of worship that's right for her.

Go the opposite route and take an interest in it with her. Let her know that you're skeptical and want to be like the Bereans by "making sure of all things" from the Bible. Offer to do extracurricular research with her on the internet.

Remind her of purchases you've made in the past. Do you take the manufacturer's word that their product is the best? Do you compare it to products from other manufacturers? Do you read reviews from people who have purchased it? Do you read only the good reviews or do you read bad ones, too? Why is it useful to do this?

Never make it sound like you're attacking her or the individual JWs who are calling on her. In fact, don't even attack the beliefs. Just question. Say, "I find it odd that they JWs teach this, when the Bible says this. Why do you suppose there's a discrepancy? Which source do you think is more trustworthy?"

Here is a resource for questionable topics with JWs.

Do not draw away from your family or fight them as they take an interest in the JWs. The JWs are teaching them that this will happend because they have the truth and Satan is out to get them. Do the opposite and draw closer to your family and take an interest in what they're learning and what questions they have. Make sure they always know you are on your FAMILY's side rather than just on the opposite side of the witnesses.

Good luck and, again, welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit