Is the internet hurting new JW recruits?

by JimmyPage 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think it is. If you look at the following graph there has been a significant increase of over 50% in the number of hours preaching required per baptism since the start of the internet, from 3000 hours to 4500. This is up from less than 2000 hours prior to 1975.

I personally do not do almost anything without researching on the internet - watch a movie, eat at a restaurant, buy a car. Even if a person looks at a fairly balanced site like wikipedia they will quickly realise that the WTS is just another 19th century Adventist offshoot. It then looses the mystical air that is so important to cult recruitment and the requirement for unquestioning adherence.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One thing is sure: It destroyed one study. Someone was on their way in (studying and starting to attend the boasting sessions), and I suggested a trip to an apostate web site. And that was the end of that study.

Without that trip to the apostate site, I am sure that person would have been a baptized witless at this time, and going from door to door bringing in other people (as well as family members).

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Imagine if the internet was around during the time of the Ray Franz case in the early 80's. Imagine the effect it would have had.

Bangalore

• donuthole
    donuthole

Since leaving the JW religion I have been approached by two other religious groups, one mainstream, one less known than the JW's. Each time I checked them out on the Internet. Though I have no personal interest in joining a religion, if I was shopping, I would at least know what I was getting into.

I think the Watchtower is particularly disadvantaged by only having the one official website and discouring members from speaking about their faith online. The majority view on the Internet is quite critical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit